What's new

Blind test #4 - Personna "Red" vs Astra SP

Shave #1

Test set up as described in this thread here. This test compares a Personna Platinum Chrome (aka "Red" or "IP") and an Astra SP, which are two of my favourite blades. I'm using two EJ razors, one black handle and one white, and I don't know which blade is in which. I do have some preconceptions on this one, but I'm going to try my hardest to not try to guess which is which as I go along.

Black = left side of face
White = right side of face

Brush = Rooney 3/1
Soap = Cella

Pass 1, WTG, Pass 2, XTG, Pass 3, ATG: Right from the start this time, I'm going to describe all three passes in one - because there really was no discernible difference. On all three passes, both blades performed great, cut really well, and felt very smooth.

Closeness: Very close shave, and really nothing to choose.

Comfort: Even before my usual cold water rinse, both sides of my face felt really good - not even a hint of burn or irritation. After the cold splash I felt just the same, only colder.

AS: 4711 today. I like this one, though I don't find it as soothing as some others. But I really didn't need any soothing, so I went for the refreshment/fragrance instead, and it's good.

I should note that I used my new Rooney 3/1 for this test (this is only my 4th shave with it). It's easily the best brush I have and I get better lather with it from various kinds of soap than I do from any other. So that has to have made a contribution to this shave - but I will be using other brushes for the other shaves.

Anyway, I was surprised that my preconceptions were wrong, at least on this first shave - I'd expected to be able to detect some differences, but I just couldn't.

Last edited:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I agree that these are two really nice blades. I wouldn't be surprised if you had to go as far as shave 4 or 5 to find noticeable differences.

You make me wonder if I got a bad batch of reds. It is like shaving with a jagged piece of glass for me. So may seem to agree with you in other threads about reds. I like hearing about the blind tests. Very interesting

I agree with Mark D., the Reds are very sharp and I always wound up with a couple of weepers and a little neck irritation after the first shave.
The Astra SP is as sharp but I always have a more comfortable shave without the weepers or irritation, I think this goes eight Half-Face shaves... Go Astra SP!

You make me wonder if I got a bad batch of reds. It is like shaving with a jagged piece of glass for me.

There are at least two kinds of blades that often get confused - the main one being alternatively known as "Crystal" blades, and the only time I tried one of those it felt a bit rough. The packaging varies, but the ones I get in the UK look like this...

Personna Platinum Chrome - http://connaughtshaving.com/redpersonna.html
Crystal - http://connaughtshaving.com/crystal.html

To confuse things further, the "Reds" here come with blue box packaging, but the individual wrappers are red (you can't see them in that picture). Looking around, I've also seen Crystal blades described as "Red" or "IP", and various suppliers seem to disagree over where they are made, with some even saying the Reds are American made - but as far as I know, these two are both made in Israel, and the only Personna blades made in the US are the Med Preps.

I have them all actually. I bought a big sampler not to long ago specfically to try the other Pers. I like the U.S blues. Actually they all feel like a jagged piece of glass on my face except the U.S made version. The U.S made came from mftoms so he knows exactly which ones I have. I like those and Astras a lot. The others Personnas/Crystals just destroyed my face. One of the red packaged Personnas says packaged in Mexico too. I was shocked with all the talk about great shaves people were getting from these blades that it was so bad and a painful experience. Feathers, Dorcos(2times), and some other brands I cannot think of have worked with okay to better then average results. The only other one that has been as damaging is the Treets. It just has me confusesd with the comparrisons to Astra's smoothness. Normally anything described as smooth usally is very smooth for me. Some may not be able to do a bbs for me but that's my coarse hair causing that. Again I can still get a decent shave, I know not to push those blades for that type I shave. I had to let my face rest after each attempt and it was sheer stubbornness that made me try a second attempt! Guess I must have upset the seller after complaing about not hearing anything in regards to my order for two weeks and they had a very special batch of blades for me that had been dropped a million times, stepped on and drive over etc.
Your other review has me wanting to try another blade but that's for another topic. this is about the Personnas. Im totally miffed by my results damn I have gotten better shaves with Derbys and the super cheap Wilkinsons which I hate. It still can't believe it.

Just to air my current thoughts, my next test is likely to face a Personna Med Prep (the US-made, blue-packaged, one) off against a Feather. They both seem exceptionally sharp to me, and I really want to see how they compare.

Should be interesting. I think there is difference but in the following days where a control is really followed/studied/attention to the details noted the final outcome should be very interesting to see what your conclusions are. That is an area I often wondered about the over all outcome. Feathers, Meds and Astras are my favorites. Test away Plz. I like to see/hear what others observe. I'd still live to know what my issue is with the other ones.

I have both in my arsenal with the Reds being my go-to (plus I shave with an EJ razor as well)
I will watch this one closely.
Thanks for all the effort.

I'm also curious to witness the final verdict of the current duel because I have similar facial hair and skin types as Alan but (not surprised) my perception of Personna blades differs. IP a.k.a Crystal are too rough for me. I like Lab Blue the most which are about the same as Astra SP blades. The Red Pack IP I have used (UK package) is smooth but seems too mild and tame, and it feels the same as Barber Personna in 89 head. They both work well in Gillette TTO for me though. As usually -YMMV.

The Red Pack IP I have used (UK package) is smooth but seems too mild and tame
As it happens, I was expecting the Red to feel smoother than but not as sharp as the Astra, and thought I'd get a quick idea which is which - but I was surprised that I really can't tell them apart so far.

As it happens, I was expecting the Red to feel smoother than but not as sharp as the Astra, and thought I'd get a quick idea which is which - but I was surprised that I really can't tell them apart so far.

Go figure. Maybe the second shave will give more prominent difference between the two. I just checked my notes on both - they were both very close in performance but the Astra provided a bit better balance glide/closeness of the two, with RIP a bit on the mild side, and I tended to use more pressure with it.
Keep up the good job. :thumbup1:

Shave #2

Test set up as described in this thread here. Personna Platinum Chrome (aka "Red" or "IP") vs Astra SP.

Black = right side of face
White = left side of face

Brush = SOC badger
Soap = Godrej Lime cream

Pass 1, WTG: Not much in it, but Black felt slightly smoother.

Pass 2, XTG: Really couldn't tell any difference on the XTG pass - the perceived difference in smoothness on the WTG pass didn't show.

Pass 3, ATG: Back to the WTG feeling that the Black one was a little smoother. But having said that, I got a small weeper on my upper lip from Black, which almost but didn't quite stop after my cold rinse.

Closeness: Again very close, with nothing between them.

Comfort: Very comfortable again - I have a pleasant "just shaved" feeling, without irritation.

AS: About 15 minutes on, and some TOBS No.74 Lime, to complete the citrus feel. It's quite high in alcohol, but no sting - just a bit of warming that quickly subsided.

These two blades are clearly more similar than I'd expected - and I really can't guess which is which at this stage. The smoothness difference was really pretty marginal.

I had a break today because I wanted to try the heavily brassed Gilette "Old" I got on eBay recently - I'll be back to this test next shave. (The Old is great).

Shave #3

Test set up as described in this thread here. Personna Platinum Chrome (aka "Red" or "IP") vs Astra SP.

Black = left side of face
White = right side of face

Brush = Simpson Duke 2, best
Soap = Col Conk Amber

Pass 1, WTG: Pass 2, XTG: Pass 3, ATG: OK, 3 days since my last shave (which was outside of this test), and my face was starting to itch - and the result today really threw me. I could not tell any difference between the two blades at all, on any of the three passes - not even a hint. On all three passes both blades were very smooth, and sliced off the whiskers with no effort.

Closeness: Great close shave.

Comfort: Again, really smooth and comfortable. Feels nice and tight after a cold water splash. No nicks, no weepers, no irritation (other than the cat jumping up to see what I was doing).

AS: About 20 minutes on, and I feel like some DR Harris Marlborough - and that's really nice, with no sting at all. (Marlborough is one of my two favourite aftershaves - the other is Arlington) :001_smile

So what can I say? Three shaves in, and I can't tell any difference between these two blades. In fact, I'm actually beginning to fear that my assistant who loaded the razors for me might have put in two of the same blade - but I really hope not!

Top Bottom