What's new

Most overrated shaving product.

It amazes me how polarized the opinions on Feather blades are. When I go back to DE (usually once a week for shaving my head), they are by far the best blade for me, followed by Personna Red.

It amazes me how polarized the opinions on Feather blades are. When I go back to DE (usually once a week for shaving my head), they are by far the best blade for me, followed by Personna Red.

There are very many products herethat are polarizing:

Pinaud Lilac Vegetal
Williams soap
Derby blades
Tabac
Feather blades
Boar vs. badger brushes

It clearly demonstrates that we should try products for ourselves, and not try for the "Tell me the Best product X to buy".

Williams is the funniest to me - the idea of vintage *soap* would literally never have occurred to me. (not knocking it at all - I mean that sentence at face value, I never would have thought of that.)

Feather Blades - Every time I use one I have the sensation that I'm using a blade sharpened on jagged rocks.

Gillette Fat Boy - My Slim Adjustable and Super Adjustable were cheaper and shave better. But I do like its chunky look.

Is there an underrated products thread?

Feathers are nicely tamed with an appropriate razor. One razor that works great with Feathers is Feather's own AS2D (or something, I can never remember the model mark). You don't need to own this fairly expensive razor to understand why. Just read some reviews.. point is, medium to mild razor, or low setting on adjustables, will tame the blade and you will have a great shave. For me, as an example, my specific Gillette #58 works amazingly with Feathers. I say "my specific one" because they can be very different. Key is finding the right match. If I put a Feather in my slim adjustable on anything over 5, the shave is too aggressive. However on 3, or 4, it's great again. All depends on the specific razor, but all I'm saying is these blades are not to be easily dismissed. Took me a few years to understand this properly, but that's only because I use straights almost exclusively.

Preshave oil of any kind. Since when-, did not need it the first 30yrs, what the heck do I want to gum up my brush now for because thats all its good for.

Feather Blades - Every time I use one I have the sensation that I'm using a blade sharpened on jagged rocks.

Gillette Fat Boy - My Slim Adjustable and Super Adjustable were cheaper and shave better. But I do like its chunky look.

Is there an underrated products thread?

I am glad that somebody else feels that was about The Gillette Fat Boy. It is OK but the price on most of them is over the top as far as I am concerned. I will take my three Red Tips any day, I have a good Fat Boy now that I doubt will ever leave the Razor Draw.

This also amazes me. How can Feather blades be overrated with so many detractors? Feathers are among my favorites, but I would not call them over- or under-rated. Some like them, some don't. Same with Cella, which does not work for me, but others like.

Ogallala Bay Rum. This one really isn't talked about too much, but it always comes up in bay rum threads. I can't stand the stuff. Most other bay rums in my rotation (Captain's Choice, Anne Bonnie, even Clubman's) have a subtlety. You can smell the rum and the spices. Ogallala is like a direct assault on your olfactory glands.

How come Barrister and Mann soaps ? I thought they are pretty much one of the top artisan soaps around ?

They are, I just wasn't a fan of any of the scents I tried and I personally find the performance to be on par with cheaper artisans - vegan too. Cheaper, but still very, very good artisan soaps I mean to say.

I'll also add that Proraso shave croap and Bigelow cream are just not that great for me. At all. It's one that creates a thin lather, even after two years of practice. It doesn't protect that well, which causes irritation from the blade. I think I'll leave that stuff to guests that want to shave and stick with my usual soaps and creams.

For those admirers of those products, I'm honestly and sincerely happy that it works out for you. I'm just not one of you, it appears.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
+1 on Momma Bears soaps
There is something in Momma Bears that burns my skin. The scents are nice and the lather is decent but the irritation is intolerable...

I think different blades for different razors. Each razor has it's own unique characteristics, but I prefer the same blades in all of them so far.

ANY multibladed cartridge razor
ANY pre shave oil, I read somewhere that shaving oil is every salesman's dream - using 2 products when 1 will do !!

Top Bottom