What's new

Most overrated shaving product.

Pre-shave products - Hot water in the shower works well enough, and it's free.

Unless you live in an apartment, hot water is generally not free. Cheap, yes, but not free. It would be interesting to compare the actual cost of an eight-minute hot shower to the cost of whatever pre-shave product would be skipped.

For example, I use about six drops of Shave Secret oil and nothing more. My face I hydrate with a washcloth soaked in the same cold water I shave with, so no added expense there. I'll shortly be making my own pre-shave oil out of olive and castor oils in order to reduce cost even further. So, for me, it would be comparing the cost of six drops of oil to the cost of a hot shower.

Feather blades - I have only tried a handful of different blades (maybe 10 at the maximum?), but I've already found at least 3 others that feel just as sharp for my beard needs but have better sharpness longevity.

I might catch some heat for this one - but Feather blades are really overrated in my experience. I've got some super coarse hair on my head, and when I started wetshaving a Derby just wouldn't cut it. I bought Feathers thinking that it would help, but it really didn't do much for me. It was more about the speed of my strokes than anything. Now I get just as good/close/comfortable of a shave with a Derby as I do with a Feather...

Feather Blades
Bay Rum scent
Gillette Fatboy
Gillette New
Most vintage razors to be honest. I get better shaves with newer razors.

Everything is overrated, IMHO. One can have an EXCELLENT shave with $5 cream (say, The Real Shaving Company) or $2 soap (VDH), $9 boar brush (Omega 49) and a $0.30 Sensitive BIC razor. On the other hand, you can use stuff, which is more expensive by an order or even two orders of magnitude and still have a so-so shave.
An analogy - I have a few dozens of fountain pens. The $10 Pilot 78G is absolutely the best writer ( I have several), while much more expensive Pilots, Sailors, etc. sit on the shelf for years. They are as overrated as many razors, brushes, soaps and creams.

On many days I get a great shave with just five things: a Williams puck, boars hair brush, R41 with almost any blade, witch hazel and aquaphor. Nothing expensive or fancy on the list but it gets the job done well. By this standard everything else could be considered "overrated" but I prefer not to think of it that way. Who is to say what's overrated? Find what works for you and let other people enjoy what they will.

On many days I get a great shave with just five things: a Williams puck, boars hair brush, R41 with almost any blade, witch hazel and aquaphor. Nothing expensive or fancy on the list but it gets the job done well. By this standard everything else could be considered "overrated" but I prefer not to think of it that way. Who is to say what's overrated? Find what works for you and let other people enjoy what they will.
True. "Overrated" is quite ambiguous.

True. "Overrated" is quite ambiguous.

Well said by speedwell. I think it's more contentious than ambiguous. Everyone has their own reasons for what they want out of their wet shaving experience. Looking for new ideas and benefiting from others experiences is one of the reasons I swing by here. "Didn't work for me, glad it worked for you" is my preferred way of looking at it rather than "what you like is overrated". It's got that "you're wrong" tone to it. Just my reaction to trying to read through this (long) thread.

I don't see what the fuss is about Col. Conk. It's nice that melt out into the shape of any container, but the lather is some of the weakest I have ever tried. It's made in my home state (NM), not to far from where I grew up

I have to say Proraso Green. Was so looking forward to it based on feedback, but it just wasn't for me. I lathered it in different ways with different brushes with different water content, and it always just felt gummy on my face. Definitely a YMMV situation, but I bought it as my first soap before discovering B&B, and about a zillion Amazon reviews made it sound like a gift from the shave gods. 'Tis not... Just another soap that, while well made, is not for everyone.

MDC ..there i said it :001_tongu
no doubt its good,but i feel its too much hyped!

+1. I thought this was going to reset the bar and I was stunned at how mediocre it is. Don't get me wrong, it isn't bad... but it's nothing special.

I've been happily surprised by just good so many of the products I've purchased have been. My only razor, a Fatboy, and my only brush, a WD ST restored vintage are perfect, as is my hand-made bowl; I bowl lather exclusively.

I have found a bunch of software that is fabulous. I have also bought a few soaps, creams, aftershaves, and colognes that have been absolute stinkers. There are overrated for me, but in the wide view of things, not worth complaint about or naming here.

Much more fun to think of all the good stuff.

Be careful not to fall into the trap of assuming "overrated" is synonymous with "bad". Overrated simply means that something is rated quite a bit higher than it ought to be. Something that's 100% is overrated if people say it's 150%.

Unless you live in an apartment, hot water is generally not free. Cheap, yes, but not free. It would be interesting to compare the actual cost of an eight-minute hot shower to the cost of whatever pre-shave product would be skipped.

For example, I use about six drops of Shave Secret oil and nothing more. My face I hydrate with a washcloth soaked in the same cold water I shave with, so no added expense there. I'll shortly be making my own pre-shave oil out of olive and castor oils in order to reduce cost even further. So, for me, it would be comparing the cost of six drops of oil to the cost of a hot shower.

You make it sound as if people wouldn't shower at all if they didn't shave. I shower every single morning as a matter of principle and general cleanliness, whether I shave or not. It's simply the case that when I do shave I prefer to do it after my usual morning shower.

The cost of the water is, in this case, a constant that doesn't factor into the shave because the shower is independent of the shave. Buying pre-shave oil whose only purpose is for shaving would be an added cost to the shave.

Last edited:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have yet to find a product that's overrated here. I've found some scents I didn't care for and was allergic to some scented soaps, but that doesn't make them overrated in my book.

I've found some "frugal" shavers here, but being too frugal to spend over xx dollars is a reasonable personal financial decision - not necessarily having anything to do with overrated - or maybe a kind of "for my happiness" overrating.

The Smart Car driver thinks a Honda is overrated. The Honda driver thinks an Audi is overrated. The Audi driver thinks a Lamborghini is overrated.

I'm closer to the other end of the spectrum: nothing's too good for me! There are expensive products that I'm afraid to try!

I realize this is an old thread but im bringing it back.
a few overrated products in my eyes are:

badger brushes- it is not necessary to spend a ton of money on a brush
Art Of Shaving products- they get a lot of hype but yet again are expensive
Catties Bubbles LPV- yea I said it! the scent was not that great as people make it out to be
and of course multiple blade cartridges are overrated because a closer shave can come from a single blade.

Top Bottom