What's new

Most overrated shaving product.

For me, it is Astra SPs. I may like them when I give them another go, but I found them dull and irritating. I also don't know if I could ever bring myself to pay over $100 for a brush made of any hair, bristle, or synthetic, unless it was unicorn or griffin hair. Maybe white tiger. I also am not sure about soaps, creams, and aftershaves that are over $15 each. SWMBO loves Old Spice and likes Clubman. Tried to convince her I needed a designer AS, and she likes the classics much better. Usually it's Bigelow/Proraso lathered with an Escali brush (got some restores and a Muhle Silvertip Fibre synthetic coming) with one of the above AS or Barbasol Pacific Rush right now.

For me, it is Astra SPs. I may like them when I give them another go, but I found them dull and irritating. I also don't know if I could ever bring myself to pay over $100 for a brush made of any hair, bristle, or synthetic, unless it was unicorn or griffin hair. Maybe white tiger. I also am not sure about soaps, creams, and aftershaves that are over $15 each. SWMBO loves Old Spice and likes Clubman. Tried to convince her I needed a designer AS, and she likes the classics much better. Usually it's Bigelow/Proraso lathered with an Escali brush (got some restores and a Muhle Silvertip Fibre synthetic coming) with one of the above AS or Barbasol Pacific Rush right now.
The go to blade for me and many on B&B. YMMV

That's kind of the definition of this thread. Stuff that others love but doesn't work for you.

Do you think anyone "loves" Gillette's Fusion? Don't you think that whether they really feel greatly annoyed by the expense, they are at least exhasperated about that?

I'd call Fusion VASTLY over-rated, by Gillette, at least.

Do you think anyone "loves" Gillette's Fusion? Don't you think that whether they really feel greatly annoyed by the expense, they are at least exhasperated about that?

I'd call Fusion VASTLY over-rated, by Gillette, at least.

Agreed, and by the general public, but not here.

I'm really confused here, because I'm not sure if you are mad at me or somehow trying to make some kind of point or what.

We weren't even talking about Fusions. Someone said the Astras were overrated, another responded that he had good luck with Astras, and I explained that the general idea of the thread is posting what YOU think is overrated - meaning other people (and probably most other people) like it.

As RailroadMan points out, few here think highly of the Fusion so saying "well, Fusions are overrated here" is pretty silly.

It's true that Gillette tend to overrate their products but isn't it what any company would do ? I wonder what would be the general opinion if they were 20$ for a hundred ?

For me, its Proraso (lather too thin) soap and the Merkur Futur (oversized, pretentious and can't get under the nose efficiently).
No way :p I have been comparing Proraso to other shaving creams and Proraso is one of the best and easiest shaving creams to lather its def not thin. I think you need to adjust your water/soap ratio.

For me the most overrated shaving product is the Fusion. The way they advertise for it is absolutely stupid, they act like it's a product which came straight away from heaven. And all the other BS they say around it, they claim it to be a super product while it isn't. Seriously I get annoyed when I see a Fusion commercial on TV, and the thing I hate the most about the Fusion is the price.

Any DE setup will outperform the Fusion and it's WAAAAAAY cheaper compared to that stupid piece of plastic.

Personna med blades. Too many weepers for me; I prefer GSB, Polsilvers and Feathers. I'm a badger guy (Thater, Rooney) but agree that some are overpriced. I'm not a fan of a Proraso soap (red), but it's inexpensive. Lots of good soaps from micro producers. If ATT is a "system", I'm a fan of the R-2.

1. Razorock - there are some great performing products and some very average ones but it seems that everything Razorock is met with glowing reviews here. I think it is a great company overall but I can't help think that the same product under a different label wouldn't be met with the same praise and fanfare.

2. any slant razor

3. large and/or dense badger knots (ie any chubby/stubby or whatever other name manufacturers use) - just takes more product and lathering effort for the same or worse result.

4. manchurian badger, super silvertip, heritage badger or any other fancy grade of hair - All these "grades" of hair command premium prices when there really is no universal objective grading system. I got caught up in it for a while until I realized I have a "low grade" pure Rooney brush that is softer, with good backbone and fantastic flow through that cost 3-6 times less than other brushes I have purchased.

Arko - I know it's the big thing on here lately, but it smells like Spic N Span floor cleaner

Pre-shave products - Hot water in the shower works well enough, and it's free.

Badger brushes - They aren't at all bad, but after trying boar, broken in boar is definitely where it's at for me.

Mob mentality / Praising products because everyone else is - Don't like or dislike something just because someone else does, there's plenty products out there for us all to be happy. :001_smile

Last edited:
Top Bottom