What's new

Semogue Silvertip?

I recently got a Semogue SOC 2-band badger brush, which has quickly become my favourite, and now I'm wondering about a Silvertip brush to complement it - the 2-band knot is probably the perfect all-rounder for me, but sometimes I'd like to go with softer tips.

I have a Frank Shaving silvertip, which has luxuriously soft tips, but it's a bit floppy - I'd like something with similarly soft tips, but more backbone, and I'm thinking a more densely packed silvertip would fit the bill.

To that end I'm considering the Semogue 2015, in regular or HD version, and I'd appreciate thoughts from anyone who has one or has used one - and even better if you can compare with the SOC 2-band (and/or a Frank). In particular, I'd like to know how the backbone compares - would the regular version have enough backbone to achieve the kind of thing I want, or would the HD version be a better choice?

I could consider other makers, but I'm a big fan of Semogue - I have a SOC boar too. I love that particular handle, and I reckon Semogue brushes are amongst the best value for money to be had.

Anyway, all opinions will be greatly appreciated.

In particular, I'd like to know how the backbone compares - would the regular version have enough backbone to achieve the kind of thing I want, or would the HD version be a better choice?

The regular one is what the majority of users here would describe as a "floppy" brush.
The HD version is more densely packed, and has more backbone than the normal silvertip, but has also an higher loft. So, even the HD version, although having more backbone than the normal version, can't be compared to the SOC.

The obvious alternative in the Semogue line-up was the Limited Edition 2010 Selected Silvertip. All the backbone that you would ever need, luxurious soft tips... Unfortunately, this one is not available any-more.

I have the SOC 2-band, a 2040HD and a 730HD.

I agree with Oversaturn; the SOC is very dense, with a shorter loft and it is Finest badger which in itself gives more backbone than a Silvertip so you won't get anyway near the feeling of the backbone from the SOC with any of the others.

When I received my 2040HD at first I thought I had been sent a normal 2040 as I found it to be on the soft side, although compared with my other Silvertips, it is not bad at all.
The 730HD is a bit more firm than the 2040HD, and just that notch better in my opinion, but that may be down to the hair being a little different as the data for the two brushes are almost equal.

Neither brush have had any trouble lathering up what I have been throwing at them and the tips are really nice and soft, and I find them to be good value for money (I'm a Semogue lover too :001_smile) and a 2015HD is on my wish-list.

Thanks for the info folks, that's very useful indeed - such a shame that there's nothing like the Limited Edition 2010 Selected Silvertip currently available.

I'll need to do some more thinking, and start to look at other makers too - the other Semogue silvertips still sound good, but I think I'm leaning more towards something with a shorter loft and more density.

Top Bottom