What's new

Pike Koenig?

Anyone know anything about this hone? It was recently passed down to me from my great-great-grandfather, and I am curious to know more about it (as well as to use it to hone my razors!!).

proxy.php

proxy.php

That's a Barber's Hone. Very hard, used mainly to touch up an already sharpened razor. I've used similar hones in the past just when my razor begins to tug, say 5-10 laps. It will refresh the edge nicely, when used with water and/or lather.

I recognize the Pike Koenig name - examples like yours can go for $40+ on ebay but since that one is from your great-great grandfather I'd say it's priceless!

...Ray

Thanks for that! So I probably shouldn't expect to be able to use it to learn how to hone, or to sharpen any dull blades? But instead probably to replace my piece of pasted balsa wood?

I haven't looked into honing at all yet, so this is another area where I have much to learn.

Thanks for that! So I probably shouldn't expect to be able to use it to learn how to hone, or to sharpen any dull blades? But instead probably to replace my piece of pasted balsa wood?

I haven't looked into honing at all yet, so this is another area where I have much to learn.
No, it's not for learning to hone but it will "sharpen a dull blade" as in refresh an already shaped edge. And I don't think it would replace your balsa, at least it wouldn't for me. More like compliment it. Hones and Honing is a long conversation and endless pursuit. Start here: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Hones
...Ray

Ray's right. Use your pasted balsa to maintain the edge for as long as possible, when that doesn't work anymore, take it to the barber's hone for 5 or 10 strokes (re-sets the bevel), then finish on the pasted balsa and strop on leather before shaving again. Although you should be able to shave off the Pike (after stropping on leather), it will be hard for it to compare to what you are used to (sharpness-wise) with pasted balsa. I would suggest trying it however, just to see what it's like... The setup of barber's hone, pasted balsa, and leather strop should be able to keep you shaving forever, provided you don't ding your blade, or acquire any truly dull/dinged/chipped blades... :)

Hmmmm, looks like I have lots to read about this... But, I am still very new to straights in general, and am still getting great results out of my current razor after nearly a month and a half, without even taking it to the balsa. Thanks guys, I will get to reading about this stuff ASAP, it's always fun to learn new things :)

Just gave it a go, about 6 laps on each side of the blade on the barbers hone, then a quick stropping, tested on some hairs and noticed a bit of improvement. Took it to the balsa, then the barbers hone for another 6 laps per side, another stropping on the leather, then I shaved with it.

I noticed a difference in the sound when stropping on the leather, and it seemed to feel like a smoother shave with the blade today. But I still got a few little knicks here and there... It could just be my technique though, hard to tell. I am going to try the balsa and barbers hone a few more times and see if the blade gets any better, I may have let it get too far gone though. This is my first straight, and I am still learning a lot about everything here (obviously :p:). But hey, I did feel like there was some improvement!

You can give it a few more on the hone if you want, and follow that with the green side of the balsa. When you finish that, finish on plain leather. The CrOx is WAY finer than any hone you can find. The CrOx also has a smoothing effect, I think you will like it!

Top Bottom