What's new

All about bengall's

Hi, I'm new to this so i'll start by saying i live in Australia and collect all the Cadman familys razors, mainly BENGALL'S. If anybody has any good info please let me know, cheers.

Thanks guys, and cheers for your time Luc i had a look at some of your resto's nice work mate. Im mainly looking for the rarer info on all the cadmans and there affiliations, eg who's the cadman in colquhoun+cadman. also i'm finding it hard to get any info on David Cadmans "SENEGAL" brand which was granted in 1758, ten years after his brother Luke was granted "BENGALL". Any info would help allot, thanks all.

Legion

Staff member
I'm not going to be much help on the history, but I have honed close to a dozen now. They have all been great shavers. Probably gets my vote for most underrated razor. Consistently good grind and steel, but they are not widely available in the US and a bit boring to look at, so they fly under the radar. Good luck with your research. Let us know what you come up with.

Thanks Legion, Ive accually heard what u said quite allot in other forums and through my research, ive only heard good things about the quality of the metal used, So im glad you have backed that up in your post, funny how you stated they fly under the radar, do you think thats because most collectors are american or European and T. R. Cadman exported most of his razors to Aus, Ind, ect and therefore are harder to come by in the states?. As an example when i walk in to an antique shop and they have a razor id expect it to be a Bengall because they are so common down in Aus. out of my collection which is only around 100 razors id say 45 % are Bengall's and 80 % of my razors were brought from my area, ie markets, antique stores ect. I agree totally they are an excellent razor and very underated but that will change in time.

Legion

Staff member
Thanks Legion, Ive accually heard what u said quite allot in other forums and through my research, ive only heard good things about the quality of the metal used, So im glad you have backed that up in your post, funny how you stated they fly under the radar, do you think thats because most collectors are american or European and T. R. Cadman exported most of his razors to Aus, Ind, ect and therefore are harder to come by in the states?. As an example when i walk in to an antique shop and they have a razor id expect it to be a Bengall because they are so common down in Aus. out of my collection which is only around 100 razors id say 45 % are Bengall's and 80 % of my razors were brought from my area, ie markets, antique stores ect. I agree totally they are an excellent razor and very underated but that will change in time.

Let's just say that some of the loudest collectors are American. :lol:

Yeah, basically most Cadman razors were exported to the colonies, so they are not hugely common in the US and Europe. This just means that they do not have the same exposure as, say, DD or Filli, or whathaveyou, and a lot of the price of SR are based on internet hype. Personally I think this is fine. It keeps the cost down, and we are lucky that it is about the most common brand in Aus antique stores.

Anyway, I like them. Replace the boring black or white plastic scales and you have some top notch shavers.

I agree, although i kind of like the plain scales spose they suit me and my price range better, lol, What material do you use/like as replacements?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
There was a Colquhoun Cadman that was sold on eBay maybe 2 weeks ago...

I have brought 2 off ebay recently, i havnt got the second 1 yet but its a bit dull looking, will wait and c. but the first 1 is in ex cond has "the prize" engraved on the blade.

Legion

Staff member
I agree, although i kind of like the plain scales spose they suit me and my price range better, lol, What material do you use/like as replacements?

Most commonly I use 3mm acrylic. This is a bengall that I cut down to a shorty (It had a damaged blade) and made new scales for some time ago.

proxy.php

proxy.php

And this is a green and gold Aussie themed one I did.

proxy.php

Both very nice, Love the Aussie theme lol, Awsome work mate, the tang marking on the 1st caught my eye, ive never seen that pattern before, now i have to find one lol, it could be 1 of the missing links in the evolution of the bengall!. Love your work mate and thanks.

Legion

Staff member
Both very nice, Love the Aussie theme lol, Awsome work mate, the tang marking on the 1st caught my eye, ive never seen that pattern before, now i have to find one lol, it could be 1 of the missing links in the evolution of the bengall!. Love your work mate and thanks.

Thanks. That 1st one was a Jno Baker Ltd. import.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Very interesting, ive only seen the star shaped flower with 2 double lines on Jno Baker imports, i'm guessing them to be 1920's - 1940s, but yours might be an earlier 1? the mystery continues, for now?

welcome from another Tasmanian member ive got 3 at the moment a 6/8 a 7/8 and a 9/16 hair thinner and luc is whats the difference in year for the TR cadman and sons LTD and the ones not stamped ltd also a early Bengall wedge ill get the pics

That is a special razer m8, hand forged, twin jno ingravings, the differant tang marking and the bengall side of the tang is unusual in its wording and font size being all the same. What a shame it was damaged, but atleast you saved it nice job.

Top Bottom