What's new

Shave with a hand soap- bathe with a shaving soap?

Would it be possible to do this- could hand-soap make enough slick lather for a decent shave- and does shaving soap have enough whatever to clean your skin? Just curious....

I just posted in the shave soap forum about a bar soap that (I think) lathers pretty well. It's possible, but not likely, that a bar/hand soap would create a decent shave lather. Usually, the ingredients are similar but in different proportions. Bar/hand/body soap is intended to cleanse, while shave soap is intended to provide cushion and glide. But yes, shave soap also cleans the skin like any other soap, it's just not usually as strong as a bar soap.

Re the OP: Yes. Bee and Flower soap. It's apparently part tallow and looks just like a rectangular slug of Williams. Same lathering characteristic as Williams too. Gotta let the stuff absorb some moisture over time before you get anywhere! I've been suspicious that it is the source for the soap potion of the Williams formula, the resemblance is so close! And yes, I've shaved with it and it works about like Williams, but smells better. Works great when my skin is a little irritated from some poor previous shave or attempt to get a little too close.

I had been toying with the idea of starting a thread to alert people to the stuff. It actually works pretty good and better than some "official" shaving soaps, especially if your skin is sensitive to chemicals. And regardless of any sales talk about it being a non animal product, it is said that it contains:

http://www.lifesvigor.com/bee-flower-jasmine-soap-2-85-oz-bar-superior-trading-company.html

Made with selected materials and natural essence.
Chemical Ingredients of Bee & Flower Brand Soap:
Tallow & Vegetable Oil (78% min)
Perfume (1.58-2.50% min)
Free Alkali (0.05% max)
Sodium Choride (0.7% max)
EDTA-4Na & EHDP (0.06% max)
Pigment (trace)
Moisture (balance)

I buy it in a local asian supermarket. Interesting stuff.

Bathing with shaving - absolutely. That's how most of us get rid of soaps we don't like shaving with.

Shaving with hand soap - possible. Just not optimal.

mostly, the answer to this is "Yes." As far as shaving with hand/body soap, be aware that many bath soaps on the market (Zest, Irish Spring, and the like) are not in fact soap in the chemical sense, and are instead detergent suspensions. They may lather usefully and do the job, but my own inclination would be not to do this.

There's a guy who posted here about getting good results with laundry soap. I wonder what happened to him. Maybe it's better not to know.

proxy.php

Hugo Naturals bar soaps work WONDERFULLY as shaving soap. Really.

William's, on the other hand, won't even lather enough for hand washing.

Hugo Naturals bar soaps work WONDERFULLY as shaving soap. Really.

William's, on the other hand, won't even lather enough for hand washing.

Agree, pretty much.

Shaving with soaps made for bathing is GENERALLY a bad idea, but there are exceptions, and Hugo Naturals bath soap is exactly the one that came to my mind.

Bathing with shaving soaps works just fine. Even Williams is a decent bath soap (but I don't like the scent). As was mentioned above, many of us relegate to the shower all our shaving soaps that we don't really enjoy shaving with.

Would it be possible to do this- could hand-soap make enough slick lather for a decent shave- and does shaving soap have enough whatever to clean your skin? Just curious....

Been using hand soap for many years, when a shaving puck is unavailable, it does work, Mens dove with aloe, Imperial leather,White Windsor Hotel soaps, Wrights coal tar even.
proxy.php

Last edited:
I have a friend who said he couldn't shave everyday because it irritated his face. Turned out he was "lathering up" with Lever 2000. I got him try try AOS and now it's not a problem. Many of those bar soaps bpmay do in a pinch, but many are not really designed for the face.

Classic Ivory soap (from wikipedia, if I'm in a store, I'll try and verify):
sodium tallowate, sodium cocoate or sodium palm kernelate, water, sodium chloride, sodium silicate, magnesium sulfate, and fragrance

Tallow first Williams Shave soap:
sodium tallowate, potassium stearate, sodium cocoate, water, glycerin, trisodium HEDTA, BHT, fragrance, titanium dioxide.

-jim

Top Bottom