What's new

Shave with a hand soap- bathe with a shaving soap?

Really interesting, fellas! I don't think I'll try it since I'm in good shape with both types, but good info here, thanks!

I used Grandpa's Pine Tar soap for a long time when I first started with my safety razor. I don't remember how the lather was, but I love the smell and it got me through many, many months of shaves. Drys your skin out though.
proxy.php

I've tried shaving with hand soap. It will work in an emergency, but is not recommended. There is a difference in the ingrediencts. You would probably have the best result with Dove, among the commonly available soaps.

Again, not recommended.

For many years I've used hand soap when on a trip. The hotel usually has some high-end moisturized soap (usually they don't have the detergent type soap) that works pretty well. And I don't even have to use a brush. I just wet my face real well, then use the soap as a puck and rub all over my face, rinse off then do it again, creating more lather with my fingers. Works great.

I've used hand soap to shave with. It's gets the whiskers off fine, but doesn't usually leave my face feeling as well conditioned as my regular shaving soaps and creams do.

Woodys meat and potatoes soap works great for me and smells good taboot. O got the idea from a review I read on this site a good while back. Get soap from amazon.

If you don't have shaving soap rather that use hand/body soap just use hand/body cream- most give a perfectly satisfactory shave, leave your skin moisturized. You just need to use running hot water to clean your razor as you go. I've done this at the gym frequently.

Yes, and yes as long as the shaving "soap" is actual soap (I don't yhink cella or proraso would work, but maybe I'm wrong). Dove beauty bar has given me some great shaves as a matter of fact, and Williams has given me some clean skin.

I've tried shaving with several hand soaps over the years especially the aromatics/organics etc. Ok in a pinch but they lack the clay used in shaving soaps to keep the skin slick. They are more foam than lather.
But, to each his own.

I've tried shaving with several hand soaps over the years especially the aromatics/organics etc. Ok in a pinch but they lack the clay used in shaving soaps to keep the skin slick. They are more foam than lather.
But, to each his own.

Most shave soaps don't have clay. But I agree, there are very few bar soaps that would offer a good shave, as most just make a loose, foamy lather. However, some bar soaps work well. Cetaphil is one of them...great lather! Maybe not the best, but certainly the equal of the mid-pack shave soap contenders.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Just picked up a couple of bars or Yardley "Naturally Moisturizing Bath Bars," one in a mild, classic Yardley lavender and the other in a punchy pomegranate rose.

Trimmed the lavender bar to fit my mug, then used the stuff to whip up a nice bowl of lavender uberlather as per the ShaveWiki here. Used an old $2 Burma Shave brush--the one some members have been asking about elsewhere on the forum.

It's been forty years since I've whipped up any lather; nevertheless I quickly felt like a chef whipping cream or making meringue. Within minutes, I had a heaping bowl of peaking lather.

Stuff went on nicely, held up well without drying out or wilting and gave me a smooth, bloodless shave without irritation. Only problem was the blade: an unbranded, USA made RiteAid S/S that I would assume comes from Personna. Three shaves is the limit on those (for me, anyway); I was on number four. Razor is an R41.

Today, I will make some uberlather with a VDH puck; tomorrow it's Williams. (Just working my way through the drugstore brands while I await the delivery of pricier, more exotic goodies.)

Anyway, here's a hearty thanks to whoever put together the "uberlather" section in ShaveWiki. It made the arcane mysteries of whipping up gobs of delicious lather using an unexpected soap accessible, understandable, successful and fun.

Just picked up a couple of bars or Yardley "Naturally Moisturizing Bath Bars," one in a mild, classic Yardley lavender and the other in a punchy pomegranate rose.

I actually just purchased some of the Yardley as well. I'm glad to hear it works!

I've started testing hand soaps and bath soaps as shaving soaps, and soon I hope to start making some "frankensoaps" by adding ingredients to bath soaps to make them better for shaving. There's a thread about it here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/258783-Turning-Bath-Soap-Into-Shaving-Soap?p=3581778

Top Bottom