What's new

Semogue LE 2011 sneak preview...

Interesting. shaving.ie is in the UK; the pricing on the brushes is the same as vintagescent.com. It says "including tax"...the few things I've bought from the UK have had the VAT backed out since it normally isn't charged to non-Euro residents.

Its not UK actually....its The Republic of Ireland. Currently the local tax I think is 21%, They have another site

http://www.traditionalshaving.com

which allows you to buy excluding vat

I made a head-to-head comparison of the SOC 2-band and the 2011 LE, badger 1 this morning by using both brushes :biggrin1:

The LE1 is definitely more scritchy. I hardly feel a ***** from the SOC, whereas I really could feel the hairs in LE1. People who like an exfoliating feeling will not be disappointed here.
Not all of the time, but in brief moments it felt like the LE1 was a bit more dense than the SOC, but overall I would say they are equally matched in density.

A strange thing is; they are not that far apart on the knot size but the LE1 feels much more firm which must come down to the almost 2 mm difference in loft.

It is by no means a scientific research and I'm not even sure it can be "measured" like this, but I have tried anyway.
If I compare the data of the two brushes and then calculate the ratio between knot diameter and loft height, it does show a difference.
Now if this purely number-crunching data can be felt during use, I am quite excited for tomorrows shave where I will repeat the experiment this time with the SOC vs the LE2
- I have cheated and calculated the ratios already, and that is why I am excited, it will be a lot of fun :001_smile

I generally prefer the Loft/Knot ratio on my brushes to be <2.0x. I'm not kidding - I've measured and calculated and I have the spreadsheet to prove it!

Note: I might have to get hold of the site maintenance crew as I think kbuzbee has slipped in a big-brush virus as it looks like I am in favour of the two large brushes - if this continues I foresee an empty wallet for years to come. Hopefully it is like a flu; over in one to two weeks :001_smile

You're completely SAFE Søren. Pay no attention to those nagging desires for CH3s, PL14s, BLK12s etc. There is nothing for you to worry about <evil grin:lol:>

Cheers,

Ken

Badger 1: Good backbone, very densely packed (as are all of them). A bit more scritchy/prickly than I had anticipated compared to the SOC 2-band which has some lovely soft tips, and I'm not a tough-guy I like it soft :wink:

Well Søren, I have to say, you summed it up nicely (and Timo & Joe nailed this) For anyone wanting to try out a Rooney Finest but unable to find one (or pony up the $ if they do) this is very clearly the next best thing (and practically indistinguishable).

Mine arrived today and I'd saved my shave in anticipation. Immediately put it to task and it didn't disappoint. Lovely feel, awesome handle and very beautiful.

It is a small little guy so it's reserved for those days I'm looking for something diminutive, but on those days, this is the one!

Cheers,

Ken

A strange thing is; they are not that far apart on the knot size but the LE1 feels much more firm which must come down to the almost 2 mm difference in loft.

It can't just be the loft. Maybe the bristles are a stiffer grade? It is a bulb shape too...

Last edited:
Well Søren, I have to say, you summed it up nicely (and Timo & Joe nailed this) For anyone wanting to try out a Rooney Finest but unable to find one (or pony up the $ if they do) this is very clearly the next best thing (and practically indistinguishable).

Mine arrived today and I'd saved my shave in anticipation. Immediately put it to task and it didn't disappoint. Lovely feel, awesome handle and very beautiful.

It is a small little guy so it's reserved for those days I'm looking for something diminutive, but on those days, this is the one!

Cheers,

Ken

I bet there are some size 2 badgers still available......

just sayin......

The anticipation is killing me. Mine finally shipped about a week ago so I'm hoping it will arrive soon. Fortunately, my 610 arrived a few weeks ago and it should tide me over until the Bristle 1 is ready to go. I'm eager to compare the performance of the LE, 610 and my SOC boar. Other than my Simpson Eagle G3, the boars have replaced the badgers for the majority of my shaves.

Mine finally arrived today. Cute little guy. GREAT handle - good weight to it and beautifully finished. Might have to order a size 2. This one might be a tad small even though the knot is 25.

I made a head-to-head comparison of the SOC 2-band and the 2011 LE, badger 1 this morning by using both brushes :biggrin1:

Thanks! Great comparison and very helpful for me, it has made me certain I don't need or want to buy one of the 2011 LE badgers... one of the boars on the other hand... :lol:

Today's head-to-head comparison is SOC 2-band vs Semogue 2011 LE, badger 2

As for the Badger 1, the Badger 2 is more prickly than the SOC, but not as prickly as the Badger 1 (containing different hair or maybe a slightly higher loft?).
Apart from that, I think the SOC and the Badger 2 are very much equal.

When comparing the knots by measuring, looking and feeling at them, they feel equally dense, and any difference is so minute that I think it is without importance or significance during use.
The Badger 2 does feel just a little bit more firm, but that might just as well be down to the difference in how many time the brush has been used compared to the SOC, and it is very likely that it will soften up a bit during use and bloom a little more than now.

Looking at the data, the two brushes are quite equally matched as well, and I think that any difference in feel or behavior will most likely be down to the difference in the hairs than it will be of any thing else (as Francesco pointed out in a post above - and I agree with that).

Now, with all this testing and comparison I have come to a conclusion, but bear in mind that this is a conclusion based on my personally preferences, and every one of you gentlemen (very well) might come to another conclusion under the same circumstances;

The winner is: Semogue Owners Club 2-band
And why: Because of the softer tips and the wooden handle. I simply prefer soft tips and natural materials in general and I think the ergonomics of the SOC handle fits me just a little better.

proxy.php

And this doesn't in any way mean that I don't like the LE brushes, they are great and they will make changes to my badger brushes ranking list.

And NO, I will not part with any of them, just FYI :wink:

... I think kbuzbee has slipped in a big-brush virus as it looks like I am in favour of the two large brushes - if this continues I foresee an empty wallet for years to come. Hopefully it is like a flu; over in one to two weeks :001_smile

Damn, he is an enabler isn't he?
Not that I am complaining :closedeye

Top Bottom