What's new

The Nib Acquisitions -November 2011

Showed up at my house to have a package with a Pilot 78G with a B nib and also a package from the Goulets with a bottle of Black Swan in Australian Roses and a ruled notebook!

Huzzah!

For me:
-Noodler's X-Feather (impressed with this ink!)
-Parker converter

Birthday gift for my daughter (turning 9):
-Pelikano, green, medium nib (doesn't get a lot of love in the forums, but seems like a well-built starter pen)
-Schmidt converter (doesn't seem to fit snugly in the Pelikano, but after some research this is apparently normal)
-Noodler's Gruene Cactus

All but the Parker converter was ordered from Goulet Pens, shipped promptly, and packaged so well it would have survived a nuclear holocaust!

Showed up at my house to have a package with a Pilot 78G with a B nib and also a package from the Goulets with a bottle of Black Swan in Australian Roses and a ruled notebook!

Huzzah!

+1 on the Pilot 78G with "B" (stub) Nib. Liking the way it writes so far. I filled it with Bad Blue Heron. I will post some photos tomorrow.

+1 on the Pilot 78G with "B" (stub) Nib. Liking the way it writes so far. I filled it with Bad Blue Heron. I will post some photos tomorrow.

Bad Blue Heron is an excellent blue-black! More blue than black, very engaging blue without being "loud." It is also very well behaved for me, even in a wet-writing Sheaffer on cheap filler paper.

$parker.jpg

This is a few of my vintage goods.. 2 parker 51 pens one is a 51 Special and the other is a early aerometric 1948 4th quarter both write well and in fantastic shape.. I filled both pens with Noodler's Dark Matter. A bottle of Sheaffer Skrip and a NOS 40's era Parker Quink ink.

Have really slowed down on the purchases lately.

Received today, Baoer 517 with medium nib.
I am surprised how small the nib is compared to my other mediums.

proxy.php

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Nice haul! That vintage Quink has a 5¢ price? I have one with 15¢ and I though that was low! Inflation sucks.

View attachment 198410

This is a few of my vintage goods.. 2 parker 51 pens one is a 51 Special and the other is a early aerometric 1948 4th quarter both write well and in fantastic shape.. I filled both pens with Noodler's Dark Matter. A bottle of Sheaffer Skrip and a NOS 40's era Parker Quink ink.

This is pretty tame by the standards of you "pros", but I scored my first "vintage" fountain pen at the local flea market...a nice transparent green Sheaffer (medium nib), complete with petrified cartridge and thick coating of dried-up ink on the nib. However, a soaking in cool water for a couple of hours and a soft toothbrush seems to have cleaned it up nicely. Now to find some Shaeffer cartridges and/or order a converter from the Goulets. Do any other brand of cartridges fit these pens or are they Sheaffer proprietary design?

$P1050437.JPG

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Now to find some Shaeffer cartridges and/or order a converter from the Goulets. Do any other brand of cartridges fit these pens or are they Sheaffer proprietary design?
I'm fairly sure the little international carts will work in a pinch. Nice transparent green student pen!

I recently sold two Wearever FP, I bought a Waterman Skywriter and an old bottle of Skrip Ink.
I have a black one, this one is blue.

Attachments

• $DSC_0762.jpg
    $DSC_0762.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 239
  • $DSC_0763.jpg
    $DSC_0763.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
I was in the city today walking around taking photos and trying out a new lens when I realised that I needed a new Moleskine notebook. Diving downstairs into a wonderful stationery store meant that the ink is right by the notebooks.....
Montblanc- Mahatma Gandhi and Iroshizuku- asa-gao both followed me home.

I'm fairly sure the little international carts will work in a pinch. Nice transparent green student pen!

Right you are, sir! Popped an international cart in there and it's working quite nicely. Cute little pen...probably won't be my everyday companion, but might get relegated to something mundane like grocery lists. For $2.00 and a little cleanup work, I can't complain.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Right you are, sir! Popped an international cart in there and it's working quite nicely. Cute little pen...probably won't be my everyday companion, but might get relegated to something mundane like grocery lists. For $2.00 and a little cleanup work, I can't complain.

I used to use them as giveaways to kids until I realized they use a really nice hard rubber feed. Now I've been looking for broken pens to salvage feeds from, they make excellent replacements for some modern plastic ones. You would be surprised at the low quality molded junk that comes on a higher end pen with 14K nibs!

A few treats arrived this weekend:

Noodler's Christmas Morning Red Piston Filler
2 Platinum Plaisirs (black and blue)
Green Pilot 78G
Wing Sung 233 Red
unknown manufacturer acrylic white
and
a Libelle Siena.

Yesterday I received my Sailor Somiko with Music Nib, and I'm in love with it, lol. It took me a few minutes to dial in how I needed to hold it to get the best writing performance, due to being a lefty. I'm good to go now, and it lays down a nice wet line of Bay State Blue ;-) I'll post pics when I have a chance

We did pretty good over the last few days. At the Ohio Pen Show we picked up a Blue Parker vaccumatic with sweet extra fine nib. Got it for a great price and it is a nice writer. We also picked up an early 1950s Pelican 140 that was green striated. Medium nib. Great writer as well and gives some good shading. While there we had Richard Binder work on the nibs of our Pelikan Blue O Blues. Linda and I are both very happy with the results. When we got back I had a Pelikan M800 blue striated waiting for me and Linda just picked up the Pelikan Green O Green today. As you can see we have a penchant for Pelikans. Our little flock keeps on growing.

proxy.php

We did pretty good over the last few days. At the Ohio Pen Show we picked up a Blue Parker vaccumatic with sweet extra fine nib. Got it for a great price and it is a nice writer. We also picked up an early 1950s Pelican 140 that was green striated. Medium nib. Great writer as well and gives some good shading. While there we had Richard Binder work on the nibs of our Pelikan Blue O Blues. Linda and I are both very happy with the results. When we got back I had a Pelikan M800 blue striated waiting for me and Linda just picked up the Pelikan Green O Green today. As you can see we have a penchant for Pelikans. Our little flock keeps on growing.

proxy.php

Pelikans! :punk:

Top Bottom