What's new

First watch for my 10 year old son - what to get?

You might have seen from this thread that I'm looking around for a new watch.

My 10 year old son was looking at what I was doing and we got chatting. I showed him the beaten up old watch that my Dad gave me when I was about his age. He then piped up with 'Dad, can you get me a watch for Christmas?'

Of course this poses a dillema - what to get :confused1

Do I just get a cheapy 'kids' watch or do I get something a little better that he will be able to show his son - if he doesn't lose or break it!

I'm tending towards the latter but still don't really want to spend over $100. Obviously he still has a boy's wrist so I can't get anything too large.

Any thoughts pr suggestions oh great wise watch experts?

As an educator, I stress something analog. It is so frustrating to see students who can only tell time by a digital clock!

analog g-shock.. won't break it, will like all the bottoms and lights. can go with the mini size so it's more proportional.

proxy.php

Last edited:
If you go over $100.00, you will need to cut him some slack if he looses it. I remember my first expensive watch when I was 12. I lost it within 6 months. I got several beatings and other punishments for that watch because my folks were not well off and were upset that I had wasted money. Now don't get me wrong, I come from a good family, no abuse, they were just pissed about that that watch. To this day I do not buy expensive watches because I still lose them.

If you go over $100.00, you will need to cut him some slack if he looses it. I remember my first expensive watch when I was 12. I lost it within 6 months. I got several beatings and other punishments for that watch because my folks were not well off and were upset that I had wasted money. Now don't get me wrong, I come from a good family, no abuse, they were just pissed about that that watch. To this day I do not buy expensive watches because I still lose them.

Absolutely - people and relationships are much more important than things!

I want to say a vintage Casio digital, because that was my first watch, but in reality get him this... A 10 year old will think it's SO cool. It looks army, the cloth band will fit him, and he can see the movement through the back. Schweeeet!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SEIKO-5-...592824611?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item1e67f05d23

Yes! This is the sort of thing I want to get him - he might want the bells and whistles of the G-shock though. Hmmm, will have to ponder.

Legion

Staff member
Yes! This is the sort of thing I want to get him - he might want the bells and whistles of the G-shock though. Hmmm, will have to ponder.

Well, you know him better than I do... :001_tongu

But bells and whistles don't teach him to tell time well. And this is a REAL army watch! (Not really. most ofmy military mates actually wear G Shocks. We don't have to tell him that, though. :wink2:)

Being able to see the movement (which is wound by his body movement) would probably spark a kids imagination. It does this kid, anyway.

Okay, lets see ... 10 Year Old Boy & Watch ... hmmmmm

I recommend a watch that he thinks is Cool and yet, it isn't so expensive that if he loses or breaks it, you will be hopping mad - just disappointed. (For heirloom stuff, wait until he is a little older to spend that kind of money.)

I'll admit I like the Seiko & Casio watches that have been mentioned.

Last edited:
I love my Seiko snk809 but it still an automatic movement, and I would worry a bit about the abuse a child could do to it. I don't think it has a glass chin but it still shouldn't be miss handled.

If you ignore my previous statement there's a ton of cool inexpensive Russian watches too, some of them automatic, some manual wind. I own a Vostok Amphiba that has been a great watch....
http://stores.ebay.com/zenitar-stor...?_fsub=15&_sid=26233363&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Its hard to beat a gshock for durability, although it will probably be a bit large due to the styling.
proxy.php

Last edited:
Hmmm. A ten year old would love an automatic, and the Seiko 5 military fits the bill. The boy in me still loves that style. However, an automatic may not stand up to the rigors of the 10 year old lifestyle! A simple quartz might be a better choice. I think a basic Timex is almost a rite of passage. Many to choose from, for about $30-$40. Other than Timex, the first thing that came to mind is a Momentum Atlas. Titanium case, available with a variety of straps and dial colours, and very easy to read. The 'ladies' version is 35mm. The readability would make this an excellent choice for a first watch.
CCOutdoors sells the Atlas for $101 on the basic strap, with free shipping in the US. I have no experience with CCOutdoors, so I can't vouch for them.
http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/st-moritz-atlas-watch.html
proxy.php

... and the winner is?

I showed him the G-shock, Vostocks and the one Legion suggested. Didn't like the style fo the first two and the numbering on the last was too complicated and confusing - he didn't like it.

I'm looking for a watch too as you may have noticed here.

I was very favourably disposed to the Seiko SNZG15 from either here or here. I think I would actually prefer with the khaki band but that seems a little problematic - and I can change later anyway. It seems to tick all the appropriate boxes and I have a soft spot for Seikos for some reason.

'I like that one Dad' he pipes up. 'Well that is the one I'm thinking about getting' I replied and showed him the pics and clear case back etc. 'That's cool, I want one of those too, like yours'

Well that was the clincher really wasn't it! The allure of father and son with the same watch was too great!

So while it might not be the wisest choice for a 10 year old and I know it will be a BIG watch on his wrist (I did a cut out of the diameter and place it on his wrist - it will work, just!) I really don't think I have any other choice.

Thanks for all the help and advice. Now to pray that he doesn't lose/scratch/break it :lol:

Last edited:
Top Bottom