What's new

First watch for my 10 year old son - what to get?

Stay analog and cheap!! My 12 yo has lost three!! The 8 yo I think will be a little more serious about wearing and holding onto one, funny how different these little creatures can be!!>)

I got my first watch when I was 10, it was a Star Wars model with a red LED display. It lasted all of 3 months, I found out the hard way that it wasn't waterproof when giving the dog a bath.

Start with something durable, but inexpensive. You can get him a good watch when he graduates high school, or an even better one when he graduates from university.

Timex "Camper" watches are analog, cheap and very tough. Some of them also have military time, which is a neat thing to teach a boy.

How about 2 watches? A beater for school & play and one for dressing up. I have a Bulova and a Seamaster from the '60's yet, unless I'm dressed up to go someplace special, I wear a Casio Forrester ($20 at Walmart with a velcro band). I've scratched or cracked too many crystals to wear my good watches every day. The Casio, and the Timex Expedition before it, have taken a pretty good beating.

I'm into vintage mechanical watches; they require periodic maintenance & are generally not as accurate as the quartz models. However both my kids (son 22 daughter 19) wear watches I've handed down to them. They become heirlooms with a story and special meaning. In the past, it was rare for a watch to measure more than 35mm so finding a size for a 10 year old is easy. I've up-graded the kids watches as they got older but both still cherish their first watch. From a reliability standpoint, a self-wind watch may be better. I admit it's easy for me as I have dozens of watches I've been collecting since I was a teen 40 years ago. I think a great starter watch would be a Hamilton Military watch or one of their rectangular models; either can be had for <$100.

Top Bottom