What's new

Muhle R41,The combined thread

What are you doing with the R41?

• I used it, I didnt like it, Im getting rid of it

• I used it, I liked it, Im keeping it

• I used it, it cut me and/or irritated me, but the jury is still out

Results are only viewable after voting.
Seems like a smart design - the benefit of an open comb without the fragile teeth.

Now if they'd just make a TTO version, I'd buy one.

For me the new shines way more brightly in the Aggressive department, I equate it to taking fluf balls off of cotton to shaving off tree bark from mighty oaks, the R41 could be used by woodworkers for stripping Vaneer...

Thanks for the info, I might just have to get one of these beasts.

I love aggressive razors, too. This is the nicest I've found. I like it so well, I'm selling others from my rotation to get another R41 as backup.

Let us know if you have any problems with blade life, would you?

Usually I get 7 to 8 comfortable shaves with the Personna RP in my Merkur Futur and after three shaves with the R41 I can feel the blade drag a bit. I'll say that blade is decreased by 40% to 50% but it's worth it. :001_smile

This razor cured my RAD. Agressive, yes. But not overly so. It shaves so close that I actually wonder why I bother to make a second pass.

I do wish I could switch out the handle for something more substantial....

Love the razor, just don't dig the handle, but for me i have found the right one for the R41, all about balance.
proxy.php

I do wish I could switch out the handle for something more substantial....

Here is a new R41 head with a few different handles for comparison.

Clockwise from top left:

New R41 head with original handle 63 grams, Parker 91R handle 76 grams,

Merkur style stainless 82grams, Cooncat Bob Bull Mastiff XL 120grams.

proxy.php

Here is a length comparison. Each square is 1 inch.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Does someone know what is material (alloy) the razor is made of ? Brass, iron, or what ? Are those modern razors made of the same alloy like Gillette pre-WWII ?

"It takes about 16-17 hours before I feel the onset of stubble after shaving with the R41, and the Barbasol was slightly behind that at 14-15 hours. Either way, those are some outstandingly long lasting shaves."

Are you fricking kidding with this? I can achieve a BBS shave with my Slant recardless of the blade I use BUT I start to feel "micro-stubble" sprouting in about 4-6 hours depending on the blade. What is the longevity of your shave with more "traditional" DE's?

I have an R41 shipping from the UK. It would be great to achieve a BBS shave that stays that way for 12 hours plus but I simply can't fathom it. I've never come anywhere close.

"It takes about 16-17 hours before I feel the onset of stubble after shaving with the R41, and the Barbasol was slightly behind that at 14-15 hours. Either way, those are some outstandingly long lasting shaves."

Are you fricking kidding with this? I can achieve a BBS shave with my Slant recardless of the blade I use BUT I start to feel "micro-stubble" sprouting in about 4-6 hours depending on the blade. What is the longevity of your shave with more "traditional" DE's?

I have an R41 shipping from the UK. It would be great to achieve a BBS shave that stays that way for 12 hours plus but I simply can't fathom it. I've never come anywhere close.

Keep in mind everyone has a different rate of hair growth as well, you may just be one of the ones who's stubble grows very quickly..

Last edited:
I really must say that I'm thankful for this post.

I've been contemplating the R41 since I first saw a picture of it. At this point I'm thinking that although it really is a thing of beauty, it may not be the razor for me. I tried a Barbasol, and it was one of the very few razors that I simply could not use because of how aggressive it was.

While I would still like to try an R41, I suspect that if the R41 is more aggressive than the Barbasol, I suspsect it may prove to be a very niche product indeed.

Stick around on B&B and one day it'll happen. I am speaking from experience.

I'm a late afternoon/early evening shaver because I get up so early for work. I usually shave at 4 PM, and when I get up at 4 AM, my face still feels as smooth as it did right after the shave with the R41 or Barbasol. I will notice the onset of stubble around 8-9 AM with the R41, and around 6-7 AM with the Barbasol.

With other DE razors, I will feel stubble when I get up, so the regrowth begins sometime in my sleep. I don't know -- maybe 10 hours?

Keep in mind everyone has a different rate of hair growth as well, you may just he one of the ones who's stubble grows very quickly..

This right here. I have very slow hair/whisker growth, and I don't have a very dense beard.

Do you think that as the blade is quite flat, that you need a steeper blade angle?

I've justed fitted a new blade, ready for tomorrow morning. I couldn't help myself and i tried dry shaving with this razor ( just my cheek). It felt quite a good way of getting feedback. When i used a steeper angle, more like45 degrees, it shaved quite easily. Quite suprised actually, as i didn't use and shaving cream/ soap.

Top Bottom