What's new

Muhle R41,The combined thread

What are you doing with the R41?

• I used it, I didnt like it, Im getting rid of it

• I used it, I liked it, Im keeping it

• I used it, it cut me and/or irritated me, but the jury is still out

Results are only viewable after voting.
Speaking as a former mod, these guys pour their heart and soul into the site -- so please keep that in mind when you're throwing around terms like "TOS police."

The guidelines are pretty simple to follow, in my humble opinion. That said, if there is any lack of clarity, a simple PM to a mod works well.

Last edited:
Wittiness is often appreciated, snarky comments about 'TOS Police', sarcasm about those Terms of Use (the specifics of which you agreed to when you signed up), wearing run ins with moderators as a badge of honor, and flaunting the BST guidelines are things which are not appreciated.

Just my interpretation of gentlemanly behavior, of course.

Speaking as a former mod, these guys pour their heart and soul into the site -- so please keep that in mind when you're throwing around terms like "TOS police."

The guidelines are pretty simple to follow, in my humble opinion. That said, if there is any lack of clarity, a simple PM to a mod works well.

Wittiness is often appreciated, snarky comments about 'TOS Police', sarcasm about those Terms of Use (the specifics of which you agreed to when you signed up), wearing run ins with moderators as a badge of honor, and flaunting the BST guidelines are things which are not appreciated.

Just my interpretation of gentlemanly behavior, of course.
Gentlemen, allow me to apologize. I meant nothing but to engage in light-hearted banter. I do appreciate the role of the Mods, and the challenge of monitoring a site with over 8 million visitors annually. I do appreciate what you do to organize content appropriately and maintain a gentlemanly environment. I have enjoyed interacting with you in the past and consider Franz to be a long-time, valued friend.

I have withdrawn my offending post, again with apologies for a few moments of indiscretion. I hope that you will also note that I have been an active contributor to the community that has tried my best to provide high-quality content and contributions in the past. I hope you can forgive a momentary lapse in good judgement.

Last edited:
Apparently you can measure the caps in comparison to a EJde89 or a R89 and if it's smaller it's the aggressive R41.

When the caps are removed and placed top-side down and side by side, the difference is noticeable just eyeballing it. The difference is not as noticeable if you compare the razors with the caps facing up (specifically, when the EJe89 or R89 cap is compared to the one on the more aggressive version of the R41). However, a couple of people have said that it's wider than either of those examples. It would be great if they were able to increase the cap width without any additional thickness.

Last edited:
This picture demonstrates the differences between the R41 2011 and the new R41 2013:

View attachment 317220

$1c.jpg

Note that in the top photo. the original R41 2011 is on the left, but in the right on the bottom picture.

For members who are interested, and who have the original R41 2011, I've heard that you can mimic the new version by using the top cap from an R89 or DE89.

Thank you to Christian Vela for his excellent phoros, and to Foroafeitado.com for allowing the use of them.

Last edited:
Wow, what a difference! If anyone is unhappy with their 2013 version and would prefer the more aggressive 2011 version, I'd be willing to trade.

Codfish: "For members who are interested, and who have the original R41 2011, I've heard that you can mimic the new version by using the top cap from an R89 or DE89."

No you CANNOT mimic. As I said before, R89 cap give you completely different geometry. Look at this picture:
$R41R89.jpg

No you CANNOT mimic. As I said before, R89 cap give you completely different geometry. Look at this picture:
View attachment 319282

Agreed, but for demonstration purposes and to get a vague idea of what the newer model might look like when viewed from above, it works out alright. I don't think anyone was really suggesting that this configuration was going to mimic how the new version shaves. The symmetry of the cap is different.

Last edited:
I just received my Muhle R41 today. Loaded it up with a Feather Blade and it was the most perfect shave I have ever got. Even my problem areas were no problem.What I really love about this razor is the sound it makes cutting through my whiskers. Tremendous feedback in terms of feel and sound.

Dave

Wow. I fall off the B&B boards for a few months and my 2011 R41 bears no resemblance to the 2013 version.

Look at the difference in blade exposure. Look at it!

The 2011 R41 is my main razor, but I can only shave every other day with it. I love the elegance, the sound is great, and the price is reasonable. Wish I had known about this before blowing a hole through my wallet with a Tradere OC 2nd gen and a EJ DE89. I have to try this razor!

Asddsa, thanks for the great photo. Rumor control is always appreciated. I follow R41 talk here and in Europe and report what I am hearing. Clarification and correction are always appreciated.

Would you mind if I post your photo on Foroafeitado.com, a Spanish-language site and the source of the rumor? You will be given full credit for your discovery, and I will PM you a link to the post. Thanks for your good work!

Anyone using a shim with the 2011 R41?

How did it affect the razor?

I searched the thread for "shim" and came up with nothing. Odd.

Top Bottom