What's new

Surry/VDH Large Knot Mod and Restore - The Process with Pictures

Hey everyone! This is my latest project, and I'm really pleased with it. I hope you enjoy!

Recently I picked up at a craft fair what was determined to likely be a Surry/VDH brush in this thread I posted about it. It was in pretty nice shape, knot and all. But it was an inexpensive average boar in what I feel is a really classy handle. I studied it and an idea came to me. I've always wanted a large knot brush, and this handle had lots of room for expansion. I decided to go for it.

EDIT: Yesterday I saw a new VDH brush shaped like this one in the store. My brush here is not a new VDH. The plastic handle of the new VDH brush feels much lighter and is much more cheaply made, with big obvious casting seams and no weight. My brush here then is almost certainly an older Surry.

A large knot modification and restore. Here's how it went with pictures!

Here is a picture of the brush as it was when I got it:
proxy.php

As I said, good shape. I almost didn't want to cut that boar knot off. But I went for it, and as I did I found that only the outer layers of hair were dyed to look banded. I'm not sure if this is normal, but it made it feel like a cheaper knot so I stopped caring.

Got it all cut off and began the drilling process. I don't have a press or forstner bits, so I used my drill, stepping up the bit progressively larger to get that out. Pretty quick I started getting into some icky stuff. It was like rubber cement, and it was goopy. Probably melting from friction. Well long story short, I got all the guts out, and used Goo Gone on my bits and the inside of the handle to clean all that crap off.

Interesting thing was there was some other plastic inside. Something that looked like a cap. No idea what it was. Also that rubber cement goo was deeper in the handle. It was hypothesized that this handle may have been drilled and filled a little for weight in the other thread. Maybe!

proxy.php

Next step was to widen the opening. I used my Dremel with a sanding drum, being careful to sand evenly and not get too crazy; those sanding drums can get wicked. It took some time, the plastic would get a little soft from the friction and gum up, needing me to scrape it out with my fingers. Pretty easy process though. I widened it to where I was comfortable with its structural integrity as well as appearance. Worked out to be an easy 28mm.

proxy.php

After much internal debate and browsing I settled on a TGN 28mm Finest Bulb and placed my order!

I had one more step I wanted to do, restoration wise. The bottom of the handle was a little discolored, had a dark spot in the middle, and sat uneven. See here:

proxy.php

With a little hand sanding all that was cured, though it left the plastic kinda dull. Wasn't sure what else to do, so I taped up the handle and put a very quick light coat of Polycryllic on the bottom only to "seal" and shine up that bottom. Worked well, and either way, its just the bottom.

proxy.php

The knot arrives! It's an impressive beast of a knot for sure. After being held back all day by wife and kids, I head out to my workbench to get started.

proxy.php

Since the handle was totally hollow, I decided after reading here to use BB's to fill it and add weight.

proxy.php

I had these prepacked BB loads, and turns out one filled it exactly right, and would actually create a shelf for the knot to sit on too!

proxy.php

Since I didn't want the BB's to shake around like a freaking maracca, I glued and packed them in mixing them with some silicone. After that dried up I got ready to set the knot.

I used the Devcon 5 Minute clear waterproof epoxy, which was great to use by the way.

proxy.php

I carefully gobbed it in the handle with the little stick, making sure I had it evenly spread out and enough to really grab that knot base. I stuck the knot in, made sure it was just right, and set it down to harden. I knew it did this, but I thought it was neat the heat that the epoxy put out as the chemical reaction took place.

And here it is! A Surry/VDH brush modded to hold a large TGN 28mm Finest Bulb! I'm very pleased with the look, and that is a really dense knot! It also weighs a ton. I weighed it at almost 4oz. Looking back at it, I could have probably gone up to 30mm with no problem. I just may make another at 30mm one day...
I can't wait to try it out tomorrow!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks for looking! I hope you enjoyed the process and result also.

Last edited:
Very nice!
"Since I didn't want the BB's to shake around like a freaking maracca" .... but the drive the wife nuts while lathering factor would be priceless in my case:001_smile
Seriously though i like that idea for using the bb's

I like how you finished that brush, I have always liked the shape of that handle and it is nice to see someone take the care to clean up the molding and really shine up the finish. Post bloom pic? That looks like it will be a Monster! looking forward to the result.

Thanks guys! It was lots of fun to do. I will definitely take some pics after its bloomed a bit. It's getting it's first use in about 30mins!

jeg227, the BB's did work pretty well. They conformed to fill the inside, you know. But yea, I'm not sure if it really would have been a maracca without glueing them in, but it is funny to think about like you said!

That looks great, it makes me wish mine was white instead of green. I may have to play with some painting. Great job on the resto!

What size do you think the stock knot was? I have a VdH brush that I'm looking to reknot just because I like the handle so much.

That looks great, it makes me wish mine was white instead of green. I may have to play with some painting. Great job on the resto!

What size do you think the stock knot was? I have a VdH brush that I'm looking to reknot just because I like the handle so much.

Go for it! It was alot of fun!

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the old boar knot was around 24mm. If you look at the first couple pics, you will see a flat rim around the knot base. I basically removed that and a little bit more to easily get the 28mm in. Like I said also, with some more widening I bet a 30mm would fit easy!

First use was awesome! That Finest knot is a beast. It actually ate a crater down into my Razorock XXX! The Finest takes alot of work to face lather in my opinion, but it is a great knot for it with backbone and softness.
Bloom pics coming very soon!

And thanks again everyone for the kind words!

Yesterday I saw a new VDH brush shaped like this one in the store. My brush here is not a new VDH. The plastic handle of the NEW VDH brush feels much lighter and is much more cheaply made, with big obvious casting seams and no weight. My brush here then is almost certainly an older Surry

I'm so glad to see this post. I have a blue Surrey that I want to restore and it was great to see the same brush already going through the motions. I know what to expect now as I extract the know from the handle and I really like the idea of using bb's to fill in the handle. Most of all, I won't feel any remorse for replacing the boar with a badger. Thanks for sharing. That knot looks fantastic in there, too.

Most of you guys were asking to see blooming pics of this Finest knot after I used it. So far it's had one face lathering shave with XXX, and my first ever test lathering with Williams. It'll probably have some more to grow over time, but it's blooming nicely, making it look even more beastly! I love it though, I have to pick it up and look at it everytime I walk by LOL.

For your viewing pleasure... bloom pics.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Where it started:
proxy.php

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Nicely done. I have an old Surrey brush (circa mid 1980's) that I still use. If it ever fails me I will do something like this.

I just bought a VdH Deluxe brush, and I'm liking it a lot. Its still in the break in stage, but it will be ready to hit my face in about a week. I've made a few test lathers with Nivea Sensitive Gel, and it does a great job.

Your addition of a TGN knot to a handle like that baffles me, though ... the handle is a good size, and has nice heft and balance, and it is shaped nicely to fit my hand in a number of different grips, but after all, it is still just injection-molded plastic, and probably cost VdH about 10 cents or less to make.

What I would have done is custom made a handle to the same size and shape out of resin or some other up-scale material, and then put the TGN knot into that.

Top Bottom