What's new

Plisson v GFT v??

After 30-odd years of electric shaving, earlier this year I decided to go back to wet shaving. When I was in the UK in May I visited the Duke of York St branch of GFT and picked up some goodies to get me started. The guy there sold me a Super Badger (SB5) and so far so good. I have one minor quibble in that it might be slightly too big and perhaps the SB4 would have been a better bet.

Subsequently I went on line and brought the travel brush which is fine, but a little small for every day, so I am considering a new brush.

We are going to France later this month (a fairly regular occurence as we have a small house there that we are renovating - or rather we are having renovated!) and we have taken to staying at CDG overnight rather than drive straight down following a 13 hour flight that lands at 7am. This affords us the chance to go into Paris for a bit of a shop, and a nice dinner.

Some folks in the soap thread have directed me to Planete Rasoir, and I have been looking at Plisson brushes on line. I'm probably not in the market for the High Mountain White, more likely European Grey and as I can claim the VAT back I am happy to spend around EUR100. If I did buy a Plisson I would be more than happy with the acrylic handled range as it would give more to spend on the bristles rather than the handle, and I would imagine a size 10 or 12 would be about right, although when I actually handle it, I may think differently now I know what I am doing with the brush(!)

Question is chaps, are they worth it? Would I be better just getting the GFT SB4 on line? Would I be better seeing what other brushes PR has when I am there?

I do understand the "YMMV" thing - if it makes any difference I tend to use GFT Limes soap and bowl lather, and 2 passes with the first WTG and the second ATG which gives me a pretty decent shave.

Sorry for the waffle but it's Friday afternoon and I want to appear busy to my staff as they see me typing away...

I would guess that many of us on the forum (if not most) have gone through 3 or more brushes before we "think we know" what we really want in a brush and for all of us that is a personal choice. You are on the right path of learning and enjoyment of having the RIGHT brush. Have a good time in Paris.

Cheers - I guess it's information gathering at this stage. I know the name Plisson but any input would be welcome.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Are Plissons worth it? A question for the ages. I can't speak to the grey, but my HMW size 16 is the softest, most incredible latherer I own. I traded 8+ brushes from my collection for 2 HMW horns (size 12&16) and consider it a good trade. I have heard that the grey is also very nice.

IMO, nobody needs a Plisson, but if you want pure luxury go for it.

I would guess that many of us on the forum (if not most) have gone through 3 or more brushes before we "think we know" what we really want in a brush

You got there much more quickly than I did, my friend:lol: I think it was somewhere in the 21-23 brush range that I really got a handle on what I was looking for. It took another 6 months for it to actually be mine. Mega kudos to you if you got there after only 3!

Cheers - I guess it's information gathering at this stage. I know the name Plisson but any input would be welcome.

Sorry, no direct input on Plisson. There are several fans here on B&B that can help you better, but my impression is they are very well made and targeted at your method of use. I suspect you would be very happy with the choice.

Ken

I guess as always my next trip to Paris my focus will be on wine and food but a side trip for a little gift of shaving goodies for myself ...YES! I hope you have a great time and reserve your descission till your there you may change your mind !
Enjoy Your Shave !

Well, the whole 17 days we are in France will be a food and wine focus(!) But you are right, it will be better to reserve my decision until I get there... if I can hold out another 9 days, 12 hours and counting until I get to the store.

Top Bottom