What's new

Feather Stainless DE?

If you buy one it will be the most impeccably crafted razor you own , if Feather brought out another SS razor then I would not think twice about buying it(assuming I had the funds at the time of course). Is just a shame that the AS-D1 is discontinued but the AS-D2 is a great razor also, being SS means they are a great investment also

I did not know the AS-D1 has been discontinued. The AS-D1 is my favorite razor. I recently received the AS-D2 and am eager to try it out.

Steve

I did not know the AS-D1 has been discontinued. The AS-D1 is my favorite razor. I recently received the AS-D2 and am eager to try it out.

Steve

I would guess there may be some old stock of AS-D1 around, if someone wanted to buy one. Especially in Japan.

Wilson

I have only been wet shaving about 3 months, and the AS-D2 was the 4th DE I purchased after the Merkur Futur, EJ89LDL and a 1940's Ball End Tech. I also have a Weber PH and an iKon OSS, but my go-to razor is the AS-D2. I have sensitive skin and have been going through trial blades for a while, and the AS-D2 gives me a BBS shave, especially with the Personna Lab Blues that I am now using. My next blade is the Feather New Hi Stainless, which should be an adventure.

Jim

What do you guys typically use in your AS-D2? I've tried Feathers, Gillette Silver Blues, Astras, and Personna Blue's in mine. Feather felt great but cut me up a bit when going ATG. Just curious if you guys consitently use something other than Feather in it.

What do you guys typically use in your AS-D2? I've tried Feathers, Gillette Silver Blues, Astras, and Personna Blue's in mine. Feather felt great but cut me up a bit when going ATG. Just curious if you guys consitently use something other than Feather in it.

The most comfortable I have found so far is the Personna Lab Blues, but I'm still going through my sample packs. I have some Feather New Hi Stainless that I will be trying next and will be getting to Astras soon. I've got pretty sensitive skin, and the Personna Blues have been very mild, yet effective for me. I usually do a 3 pass shave with some buffing on a few neck and chin areas.

Jim

I use Indian Black 7 O'clocks and Polsilver super iridiums in my AS-D1.

Newbie, and D2 on the way; currently using EJ & Muhle R89 equivalent. I find I'm up to the occasional BBS shave, and am looking forward to trying the Japanese technology in a razor. I do have a collection of katana, and the Japanese, even 500 years ago, had a very keen idea of quality, and how to put an edge on steel and maintain it - some blades of this era, handed down through many generations, look like they just came back from the polisher, compared to the newer rusty bits of iron from the Tower of London. Vintage (and some modern) katana were polished to a mirror surface (not sharpened) by hand, painstakingly over months, with polishing stones as small as a grain of rice, held between the fingertips, to a blade angle approaching zero (not beveled like European blades). I have scars from katana bites, demonstrating its efficiency; to say you could shave with them probably doesn't do justice to the sheer cutting power of these weapons; imagine a two foot length of steel, sharper than a straight razor, weighing two pounds or more. Wielded by an angry Samurai, very skilled in its use. Suddenly, a new Feather in a DE razor doesn't seem very intimidating.

Newbie, and D2 on the way; currently using EJ & Muhle R89 equivalent. I find I'm up to the occasional BBS shave, and am looking forward to trying the Japanese technology in a razor.

The key to the Feather razor is a good technique. You have to find the angle and the pressure. The right blade is the third component to success. Mix all this with concentration and you have the ultimate shave.

The angle is right when the razor starts cutting when you increase the angle from a parallel top plate. Do not read or ponder about it, find it for yourself.

The pressure is right when you hold the razor in the balance point and float it on your skin. When in doubt ease off the pressure. Do not read or ponder about it, find it for yourself.

Some people can use the Feather blade, I use Black Indian 7 O'clocks or Polsilver SI's.

When you mix these ingredients with total concentration and mindfulness you will elevate your shaving to what is possible. I have been using the Feather AS-D1 head since 2010 and have been enjoying effortless and comfortable BBS shaves daily.

With correct usage you will be able to use the mentioned blades for at least a month as an added bonus.

Good luck!

My AS-D1 head on a Weber Bulldog handle replated in black chrome​

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it today and dropped in an Astra - so far my blade of choice in a Muhle (Feather when I am absolutely confident in my technique); eagerly awaiting results tomorrow (Proraso pre-shave and sandalwood)!

The key to the Feather razor is a good technique. You have to find the angle and the pressure. The right blade is the third component to success. Mix all this with concentration and you have the ultimate shave.

The angle is right when the razor starts cutting when you increase the angle from a parallel top plate. Do not read or ponder about it, find it for yourself.

The pressure is right when you hold the razor in the balance point and float it on your skin. When in doubt ease off the pressure. Do not read or ponder about it, find it for yourself.

I agree with your assessment on getting the correct cutting angle and pressure. I love using my Feather D1 and D2.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 207
I had an AS-D2 and it was a very nicely crafted razor. Flawless fit and finish. However, it was a little too mild for my taste and I traded here on B&B.

If you like a mild, smooth razor give it a whirl. They do hold their value quite well, so you won't lose a ton of money if you decide it's not for you and move it through the B/S/T.

Worked very well, with minimal blood loss. I found it to be not too aggressive, not too mild; a Goldilocks razor. The blade angle was nothing to adapt to; in fact, I suspect the shallow angle makes it less likely it will be held too steeply, because the design of the head prevents the razor cutting if it's not held at the proper angle. Knurled grip provided perfect control, although it is a heavy ​beast. I like it.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I've been thinking about the Feather and knowing that today only the AS-D2 is produced, I'm wondering what it will be like. I currently have a custom handle that I rotate between a Gillette 7 o'clock open comb (British), Goodwill (USA) and Tech (USA) head. Each have their good and bad blades and they deliver nice shaves. I'm wondering if the Feather would bring a different dimension to this knowing that it's 90gr where the handle that I have is 78gr, plus the head it's probably close to 90gr, maybe less.

I'm more afraid of buying it and not seeing a difference with the Tech. The price is also a big factor and I understand that it's a big YMMV. I also understand that those who like it will say buy it and try it and those who don't will say don't buy it, not worth it.

I am more interested in why it's a good buy, why it's not a good buy. So far, the good seems to be smoothness and the bad seems to be the price. Anything I'm missing?

Luc, the main complaint I see over and over again is that the razor is too mild. So if you don't like mild razors, it's probably not worth the investment.

Luc

Staff member
Luc, the main complaint I see over and over again is that the razor is too mild. So if you don't like mild razors, it's probably not worth the investment.

I use the Injector type L on a regular basis which is mild I believe. Also, from what I saw in this thread, it's comparable to a Tech but a bit more aggressive (not much). I use a tech with a heavier handle. So I'm wondering if I just saved close to $100 by having a replated tech head and custom handle versus the cost of a Feather Stainless Steel DE.

Luc

Staff member
Seeing a thread like this one this morning (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/419156-Edwin-Jagger-DE89-Quality-questions) is pushing me to think about the Feather again. Feather being established for a long time, being stainless steel and all. The tech is a different beast with a heavier handle.

any other words of wisdom on the Feather AS-D2? How does it compares to a Tech with a custom handle (that brings the weight to about the same).

@Luc Not sure about the AS-D2, but the AS-D1 is the razor I have owned the longest in my den and I don't see it leaving any time soon.

Although I use the RR Stealth as my daily razor now, I still reach for the Feather and can get a great shave in 2 passes with it.

With all the recent MassDrops on the AS-D2, I am tempted to give it a try and see if it's any different. My AS-D1 must be one of the good ones (if in fact, there were any bad ones) and there are no issues with it NOT cutting as some claimed.

Luc

Staff member
@Luc Not sure about the AS-D2, but the AS-D1 is the razor I have owned the longest in my den and I don't see it leaving any time soon.

Although I use the RR Stealth as my daily razor now, I still reach for the Feather and can get a great shave in 2 passes with it.

With all the recent MassDrops on the AS-D2, I am tempted to give it a try and see if it's any different. My AS-D1 must be one of the good ones (if in fact, there were any bad ones) and there are no issues with it NOT cutting as some claimed.

Usually, the cutting issue is related to the blade angle.

From what I've been reading, the AS-D2 is a notch milder than the AS-D1. Without any experience with either razor, I have a general idea of what it means. Thanks for your comment Bruce, I'm still very tempted to get one. I got to sleep on it a bit more and read more.

Top Bottom