What's new

Who just paid $120 for a 1955 Super Speed?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270822440836?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

proxy.php

Hahahahaha! $120! That's basically a $5-$15 razor. Someone spent WAYYYY too much! NOS is irrelevant. You can clean up a good majority of old safety razors to look just as nice.

Buyers would enjoy their items more if they took a chance and bid on items that didn't look so great and set a cap at like $8. You can aquire more razors that way and build a nice collection! Sometimes you win, a lot of times you don't. You appreciate your scores more when you didn't pay much for them imho and it's so fun to clean a razor up! Today I cleaned up and shaved with a razor that had a new Gillette blade from Fall 1960! First use in 51 years! So cool! :001_smile

The buyer buys a lot of barber stuff too it shows.

That's nuts considering mine (a 1963) looks exactly like that in the same condition and it was a PIF.

I don't know whether to despise or admire cedarfurnitureman. It's fairly obvious he replates every razor he gets. No one finds oodles of pristine, cased Gillettes. Whatever he does, he has hit on a winning formula for making money.

Hahahahaha! $120! That's basically a $5-$15 razor. Someone spent WAYYYY too much! NOS is irrelevant. You can clean up a good majority of old safety razors to look just as nice.

It's not a NOS razor. Nowhere in his listing does he say it is.

It's the blade pack that is NOS. Including the "nos blades" allows the razor to pop up when you do a search for "gillettte nos razor". I think that is a little underhanded (well to be honest, much more than a little), but not outside the rules of Ebay.

What we have is a $15-$20 Superspeed, polished very well, and in a case. The case adds perhaps $15 more to the value.

This is most certainly not a NOS razor: it's not sealed, it lacks the instructions, and the original blades. The blade pack being included (Gillette Spoilers) are not the correct blades for this razor/case. Spoilers did not come out until the mid-1970s.

Last edited:
where would one get it for so cheap though ???

nowhere

If you are referring to Superspeeds for low cost, I find them frequently at large antique shows for $2-$4. I have also done fairly well at antique stores, junk stores, and outdoor flea markets.

I just sold 3 Superspeeds today on the B/S/T that are in the same condition as the one sold above for a mere $16 each (shipped). Good quality Superspeeds for not a lot of money are not a rarity.

Last edited:
They do consignment sales which is where they get a lot of their razors. Good deal if you were the guy who sent them that flair tip.

But I do agree their listing of NOS blades that are not the original blades that came with the razor does bug me. It's down right dishonest because it gives people the illusion that they are the original blades for that razor set. While some people may know I'm sure there are lots of people bidding because they think it's the original NOS blades. Anyway, I've never dealt with CFM and am sure they are great people, just wish they'd stop doing the NOS blade thing.

As a rule (which I've admittedly stretched a few times), I try never to pay more than $30 for one razor. $120 is just clear off of the reservation for me.

brucered

System Generated
lots of new buyers (2 guys with 0 feedback drove up the price, which has a red flag up for me).

might be something shady going on here.

but i admit, that seller has some great pics which helps the sales, but if you look at their "other items" they always list NOS and include 1 vintage blade and 1 feather or derby or whatever and their prices are always skyhigh.

Last edited:
He is the (Don King underhanded and slick) of selling razors, I agree that he should advertise more honestly. The replating is done very well. But it is not NOS. Maybe one of our B&B experts like Onotoman, or any of our top honest and trusted replating members can buy one and check it to see if it's replate or not.

Top Bottom