What's new

And old Coat for the Modern Age?

Well Ladies and Gents, lets get right down to brass tacks, shall we? I'm looking for something rather odd and felt that perhaps you would be the best people to bring my question to. The subject at hand is my quest for a jacket.

But not any jack, no, that would be t0o easy. For you see, dear reader, I am what you would call built like a tank. Standing Six foot Three inches, with a Nineteen inch next a shoulder spread the likes of a titan I'm not exactly the average joe. Nor is this to say that I'm some slovenly blob. When I can I spend copious amounts of time in the gym, lifting weights and the like.(Ask me my favorite lift and I'll say ALL except skullcruchers) Suffice to say that I am not built for many modes of modern jacketry.

Rather I fit best in the jacket styles of yore. Three quarter and full length, greatcoats and dusters, these are what look good on me. Sadly, they are hardly considered stylish and are thusly hard to find in any condition that would suit hard use in a long New England winter.

Thus do I put this question forth to you: I seek a new winter jacket, something knee length, preferably water proof, and insulated. I had looked at the LLBean Nor'easter Commuter, but they sadly discontinued it. I've also looked into picking up a surplus greatcoat, but they're hard to find. What I seek are options and opinions. Stories of great jackets.

In return I'll post some pictures of a Soviet watch I wear daily.

Last edited:
Schottnyc.com
Made in the good ol' US of A.

Nice people too.

tons of stuff up to 6X.

Maybe a wool lined leather peacoat? look at the 650 style

Very Stylish!

For the Duster, go to Filson.

Schottnyc.com
Made in the good ol' US of A.

Nice people too.

tons of stuff up to 6X.

Maybe a wool lined leather peacoat? look at the 650 style

Very Stylish!

For the Duster, go to Filson.
I've already got the duster, from Outback. The real one. As in purchased in Australia to be sold over here. Good old fashioned Oilskin. Came with a ranch hand exclusion, at a farm fair. I've got some pictures of it someplace. But oilskin is just too stiff come winter time.

And while I like your link, for those prices I could get a Gloverall.

Edit: Link for the jacket I already have. Notice how "usable" it is. I have, and will again, chop wood in that jacket. Or go shooting. Or perhaps carry lumber.

Last edited:
Don't forget Driz-a-Bone. They even do them in black and have an optional merino wool bodyliner.
Of course these don't look right as they're new. After one full winter they often look like you've had them forever.

Attachments

• $L_DrizaBone_Wax_Full.jpg
    $L_DrizaBone_Wax_Full.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 250
Again, you'll wear out the elbows, etc. When I get a chance I'll take some pictures of the wear patterns on my jacket.

I'm a great fan of New Zealand's Swanndri clothing. The wool stuff is amazing. Comfortable and seems to last for ever! I reckon their "Bush Shirt" would be the sort of thing you are looking for. It's not a shirt, it's a warm coat that's as tough as an old boot. I have one and also one of their Rover jackets. Not particularly stylish but they are always the ones i reach for when going out.

Bush Shirt

Gareth

....I've also looked into picking up a surplus greatcoat, but they're hard to find. What I seek are options and opinions. Stories of great jackets.

The "Great Coat" of my life was an Air Force double breasted wool great coat. Patterned after Navy Officer's coats, it buttoned in either direction, had a large collar that you could pull up around your neck. The wool fabric was approximately a half-inch thick, and a pretty dense weave.

It was old when I had it, probably manufactured in the 1950's. I got it for trading a pair of army boots to it's previous owner, whom it didn't really fit.

As a big fan of wool clothing, I'm intrigued at the fact that wool clothing which was once ubiquitous, is increasingly hard to find. Was wool fabric in earlier time a by-product of lamb or mutton, which perhaps people consumed more of it? Do people have rmemories of cheap, scratchy wool products?

IMHO, nothing beats wool. It's both warm, breathable, and wears like iron.

To the OP, Good Luck in your quest! I've had some good luck bying vintage LL Bean stuff on the Bay, perhaps that may be an option for you.

The "Great Coat" of my life was an Air Force double breasted wool great coat. Patterned after Navy Officer's coats, it buttoned in either direction, had a large collar that you could pull up around your neck. The wool fabric was approximately a half-inch thick, and a pretty dense weave.

It was old when I had it, probably manufactured in the 1950's. I got it for trading a pair of army boots to it's previous owner, whom it didn't really fit.

As a big fan of wool clothing, I'm intrigued at the fact that wool clothing which was once ubiquitous, is increasingly hard to find. Was wool fabric in earlier time a by-product of lamb or mutton, which perhaps people consumed more of it? Do people have rmemories of cheap, scratchy wool products?

IMHO, nothing beats wool. It's both warm, breathable, and wears like iron.

To the OP, Good Luck in your quest! I've had some good luck bying vintage LL Bean stuff on the Bay, perhaps that may be an option for you.

I had the chance to pick up a British CD officers great coat, but missed it due to a streach of unemployment which I am just getting out of. Part of the reason I need a new jacket. New dress codes, etc.

And there is no way in hell you'll see me in a German great coat that doesn't pre-date WWII. Russian, sure. Polish? Even better. German? Hell no.

I'm a great fan of New Zealand's Swanndri clothing. The wool stuff is amazing. Comfortable and seems to last for ever! I reckon their "Bush Shirt" would be the sort of thing you are looking for. It's not a shirt, it's a warm coat that's as tough as an old boot. I have one and also one of their Rover jackets. Not particularly stylish but they are always the ones i reach for when going out.

Bush Shirt

Gareth

Its close, but not exactly there. I want something a little more professional looking. I've already got gear that fufills the "There is a tree that needs taking down. Time to get to it." shirt.

I found one of these in my size at a local pseudo-milsurp store: http://www.russianarmysurplus.com/military.php?gid=156

When combined with a synthetic fleece under-coat, this jacket makes me impervious to the windy -40C weather that I must endure while waiting for buses. It's all wool and weighs a ton... but not a single wisp of wind gets through the chest, especially with that double-breasted closure. The weight of the wool also makes it flap less in the wind, keeping your legs warmer.

Anyways, combine it with a dark coloured scarf, leather gloves (with liners!), and a real hat (not a toque) and you'll probably be better dressed than your boss -- I know I am.

Lastly, I find it hard to argue with the price - I've spent more money on fancy ski jackets and ski pants than I did on this practical and dressy coat.

Edit: P.S. I'm 6'3" /200lbs in OK shape, and the jackets were sized more by chest than anything else, so you should be able to find one to fit your more muscly mass while still covering your knees.

Last edited:
Top Bottom