What's new

Straight Shaver Interview - Rickboone1

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Today's interview is with Rick (rickboone1). I would like to thank Rick for his time and patience as I have a few interviews that are waiting to be published. If you want to consult any interviews, please consult the Interviews wiki page. If you have any further questions, please do post in this thread.

Who are you? / Where are you located?
Rick. Irmo, SC

How do you take your coffee?
On the rare occasion I do, I prefer it from a French press. Maybe a touch of sugar. Seems the flavor is so good when it's made this way, there's no need to add creams or sugar.

What happened that made you seek a better shave, or if the chicken came before the egg, how did you find B&B?
Well, I was working out of town and a lady near our booth (sales) was selling handmade soaps. One was a shaving mug with soap. Long story short, when googling how to lather, B&B pops up. I've been stirring a ruckus here ever since.

What was it that held your interest?
Who doesn't like to try cool, new things? There's always something brewing that we gotta try! Pretty much, if it blows your skirt up, you'll find it here at B&B.

If i remember from your posts, you started with DE's before switching to straights; What did you start with?
Merkur 38c. Dang nice razor. Sold it off, because it just wasn't being used. I haven't used a DE in so long. Strictly straights now.

Shave Cream & Soaps? what did you find that worked well from those initial trials?
The stuff I bought from the lady selling beside me did NOT work well. I can't really recall what I used at first.

Where did you get your first straight razor? was it shave ready?
My first my Dad gave me. It was my grandfather's. It was not shave ready. Another member gave me my first straight and strop.

Determination is key with shaving with a straight, how did you push through the Month + of sub par shaves? did you know there was a light at the end of the tunnel?
I was on the road traveling a lot when I first started. I had a lot of alone and free time. Was a little easier to concentrate. Then, when at home, shaving around a curious toddler; you learn how to shave good, too. I cut myself about every shave for the first year, I think. (Don't let that discourage you). I rarely, if ever, got irritation from the straights. With a DE, I did. I think because I did more than one pass, primarily. With a cartridge razor irritation was unavoidable. So, the fact that I didn't get it with a straight ensued greater pursuit of learning how to shave. After all, TONS of other people have done it before me.

Now my favorite question... if you were stranded on a desert island and could only choose:
3 razors:

• Boker Wedge
  • Red Imp
  • Dubl Duck Satinwedge with the tapered blade

2 brushes:
  • Semogue 1305
  • Simpsons Tulip 2

3 soaps:
  • MWF
  • AOS Sandalwood
  • Klar Kabinett

2 creams:
  • Al's The Bomb
  • Body Shop Maca Root

3 colognes:
  • Knize Ten
  • Kouros
  • C&S No. 88.
  • I want people to know I'm there!

3 Aftershaves:
  • Witch Hazel
  • Alum Block
  • Superior 70 Mentholated Bay Rum.
  • I'm figuring it'll be hot on this island.

What is your strop preference and what is your stropping regime?
Hess Milk strop linen and Roo/Moo Legion strop. I never count strokes, I just go until I feel like I'm done.

What is your honing set up for ebay specials?
I'm not the greatest honer. Ebay specials usually get sent out. I've honed a few. My setup is; DMT 325, King 1000, DMT 1200, King 4000, King 6000, Naniwa 8000, C12K, Shapton 16k, Thurry, Coticule. That's not really a set up, more of a list of my hones. I use whatever feels right. I've got no methods, really. Of course the 1K for bevel setting. 1200 rarely gets used for bevels. Oh, I also have a 3 line Swaty.

How often and what's your method for touching up your straights? favorite finish?
Favorite finish would probably be from Jnats. Obviously, from my list of stones I can't do this. From mine, it all depends on the razor and how much touching up it needs. Sometimes, the C12K will make me happy, other times it'll need to go to the 16K from there. Other blades a touch up on the barber's hone, Thurry or coticule prove quite successful.

$VanGogh Self Portait.jpg
Some of us will remember the Van Gogh thread, how did the ear heal?
Eh? Speak up! Hold on, let me turn my head to my good ear.

Are you currently reading a book? or perhaps even better; what book will you be reading next?
Yes. Currently ready "A Painted House" by John Grisham. Up next is "The Real Wild West". Don't know the author and I don't feel like going to my car to get it out of my briefcase. The world needs some mysteries!

Favorite Movie or two?
Shawshank Redemption, The Godfather

With what fictional/historical character do you most identify?
None, so much as I can think of at least. I'm just Rick James. Actually, James Richard.

Do you have any motto's, sayings, or quotes to live by?
Find the good in all you do and encounter.

What has been the best advice you've gotten from a member at B&B?
Stay away from Ouch. Poor Ouch never gets a break, does he? Best advice...try everything you can get your hands on? Did anyone ever tell me that? No. Oh, I know....go slow. Take your time.

If you could give one piece of advice to someone new at this, what would it be?
To go slow. Take your time. Pretty good, eh? There's lots of theories and 879 ways to skin the ole cat. What works for him may not for you. Don't get frustrated, don't fall into the folklore that x product stinks and y is awesome. It may be different for you. Take time to learn for yourself what works and what doesn't and make up your own mind as to what you like.

Top Bottom