What's new

is it possible different soaps/creams work better with different razors?

Today I tried something different. I shaved with Edge Gel. This is the first time in a long, long while I've used a gel, and the first time trying Edge. Yesterday I shaved with Wililams, started out with a GEM, but quickly discovered that there wasn't quite enough lubrication so I went back to a Superspeed and got an OK shave, with a little razor burn (I probably should have tried the Tech instead).

So today I tried the ancient GEM razor with some Edge Gel and it was a great shave. I got a really smooth shave going with the grain mostly (except in areas I felt I could get away with ATG/upward passes). I only made 2 passes and a little bit of touch ups. The Edge is really oily stuff, all you do is put it on wet skin and it sort of self foams into a thin, goopy layer- much oilier than many shaving soaps, and oilier than alot of shaving creams I have tried.

This makes me wonder if perhaps certain soaps/creams work better with certain blade and razor combinations. Maybe certain razors require more cream or soap relative to water?

I think that the issue with most DEs is the blade - I use a cream for more cushion the first couple of shaves with a Feather.

However, with the GEMs and, to a lesser degree, injectors, a slicker cream/soap is important due to the fact that the large head is in contact with your skin. Without enough slip, I find that the GEMs will drag a bit.

I often use my JM Fraser with my GEM's, but any really slick cream or soap will do the trick.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If you read the recent thread about Joel's homemade soaps ... http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24481 ... one of the things I got out of it was that Joel was making different soaps for different blades (and water, and skintypes, but that's another story ... )

So I suspect that, if you want to get technical about it, then yes different soaps probably do work better for different razors. But focusing on proper prep and technique of the shave will probably give the more significant results overall for someone like me.

Similar to everything else in the world. Technique is king. Products will only enhance.

Have either of you used a GEM before?

Just wondering...

While technique is important, the head of the GEM is very large and is in almost constant contact with your face - this means there's more potential drag than with other types of razor.

Yes, you can use a GEM with any decent soap or cream, but it works BETTER with products that produce an especially slick lather.

I think that the issue with most DEs is the blade - I use a cream for more cushion the first couple of shaves with a Feather.

That's a great idea for the Feathers. I'll have to try that out. I had been using the Feathers (actually a sampler pack) with hard soap and got a few nicks on the first shave if I didn't cork the blade. Maybe I could skip corking the blade with a thicker cream.

The GEM does have a big head and there is some drag. One thing I found using the Edge Gel, though, is that the angle didn't have to be as exact to cut and not get razor burn; it was more forgiving, the edge just hydroplaned over skin and would only cut hair. The Treet/GEM blades are very sharp, too, with some weight behind them. I haven't ever gotten bleeding nicks from them (I rarely bleed when shaving though) but have gouged myself under the chin a few times.

I've been reading up a little bit on Method Shaving, and it is pretty arcane stuff but one thing that stuck out was the idea of "velocity" behind the "shaving mix" being matched with velocity of razors and blades. It's pretty arcane and I don't fully grasp it all but it might actually make sense.

Top Bottom