What's new

Gillette in a new light

Thanks for the link! Are you sure it's from 1978? The article mentions "web entrepreneurs" and the Xbox!

The razor and twenty blades sold for $5. That was, according to the ad, a supply of two years’ worth. Each blade offered two edges, and each edge was promised to be good for twenty to thirty shaves.
Twelve double-edge, oil tampered, diamond ground, Damascus blades (equal to 24 ordinary blades)

What kind of blades did he sell? 20 shaves from one blade? without re-sharpening?

Thanks for the link to a very interesting read. I was surprised to learn that Gillette did not expect his first razor handles to last much longer than 5 years and that a dozen blades was thought to be enough to last a year. Wow!

I don't know where I got the 1978 from(?), brain f**t, or maybe I saw a page number. However, the article is still a good read.

Thanks for the link! Are you sure it's from 1978? The article mentions "web entrepreneurs" and the Xbox!

He referenced a best seller book from 2009 "Free, The future of a radical price" and a current best sellers dated on July 2010.

I am going to read it again , I want to make sure I get my facts and opinions right. I think that the Gillette Co. was really a pioneer in the razor and in the business model that implemented strangle hold technique, to prevent others from going somewhere else.

Thanks for the link to a very interesting read. I was surprised to learn that Gillette did not expect his first razor handles to last much longer than 5 years and that a dozen blades was thought to be enough to last a year. Wow!

I like how Gem Cutlery Co. made the Gem Jr. with 7 blades as a direct competition to Gillette , then offered replacements for 25 cents, making it cheap as hell to shave. The exchange new blades for old blades business model was prominent in ads everywhere. Other competitors such as Ever Ready started making low cost handles as well.

Bump from the grave!

I just read this document and searched the forum to see if it had been posted before. A fascinating read just for the Gillette facts. The economic analysis isn't that heavy and it explains why my Old Type and NEW don't have patent numbers.

-Dale

Top Bottom