What's new

The Re-release of the Simpson Rover

I got mine at $140 minus 10% and from WCS and I am very happy with it.

Attachments

• $IMG_1016.jpg
    $IMG_1016.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 460
Resurrecting this thread because I have been using the Rover LE for the last few days, and I continue to be amazed by this brush. The knot has the density of the custom Eagle in Best for Operation Smile, but the loft is higher. The result is a really dense brush that can move. I detect absolutely no scratch, scritch or scrub with this brush, even when dry. Rubbing my hand over the dry brush, the knot feels incredibly soft. Face lathering is a real treat, since you get a massage instead of a scrub, and the brush has excellent flow through. A brush this dense should be a lather hog, but it isn't. I am so impressed with it, that it now ranks #2 on my list behind my trusty 57. I don't know how much longer this LE will be available, but if you're on the fence, it's definitely worth taking the plunge.

Resurrecting this thread because I have been using the Rover LE for the last few days, and I continue to be amazed by this brush. The knot has the density of the custom Eagle in Best for Operation Smile, but the loft is higher. The result is a really dense brush that can move. I detect absolutely no scratch, scritch or scrub with this brush, even when dry. Rubbing my hand over the dry brush, the knot feels incredibly soft. Face lathering is a real treat, since you get a massage instead of a scrub, and the brush has excellent flow through. A brush this dense should be a lather hog, but it isn't. I am so impressed with it, that it now ranks #2 on my list behind my trusty 57. I don't know how much longer this LE will be available, but if you're on the fence, it's definitely worth taking the plunge.

Amen, if you are needing/wanting to give a Simpson a try I would put this one at the top of the list.

Indeed.
Excellent review... I didn't see this before I bought mine.

Honestly, I bought mine for the SGK benefit, and when I saw the size, I figured I'd use it as a travel brush.

But now, I look forward to every 4th day when it comes back up in the rotation.
Sometimes I even cheat and skip my "old reliable" 57 :wink:

G'day all from the Land Down Under. I have just discovered Simpson brushes :) I think I am already an addict. Is there an 'SA' anywhere yet (Simpson's Anon)? I have just purchased the Rover and with the AUS the way it is against the US $, I just HAD to snap it up. In the past week I have bought (don't hate me, be gentle) the Commodore 1, Duke 2, Wee Scot, Case (with case) and now the Rover, all in best badger. The pile of crap I was using finally fell to bits. Well, it had sentimental value, you see, and that's why I kept using it to the last. I used to work as a teacher in prisons here in Sydney Australia back in 1984, and the only object to remind me of the place (umm, not sure i needreminding) was a prison-issue wooden-handle pig-bristle shaving brush, which wore right down to the (insert part name) before cracking. I travelled the world with it, and it carries a lot of history. Anyway, I now have a few excellent brushes and I am looking forward to getting started. I had no idea there were shaving brush forums. You guys are all nutcases you realise :) I have some Opinel knives; the Opinel is listed as one of the 100 most beautiful objects in the world; Simpson brushes should be added as number 101!

---------------
The surface is deepmost.

Last edited:
G'day all from the Land Down Under. I have just discovered Simpson brushes :) I think I am already an addict. Is there an 'SA' anywhere yet (Simpson's Anon)? I have just purchased the Rover and with the AUS the way it is against the US $, I just HAD to snap it up. In the past week I have bought (don't hate me, be gentle) the Commodore 1, Duke 2, Wee Scot, Case (with case) and now the Rover, all in best badger. The pile of crap I was using finally fell to bits. Well, it had sentimental value, you see, and that's why I kept using it to the last. I used to work as a teacher in prisons here in Sydney Australia back in 1984, and the only object to remind me of the place (umm, not sure i needreminding) was a prison-issue wooden-handle pig-bristle shaving brush, which wore right down to the (insert part name) before cracking. I travelled the world with it, and it carries a lot of history. Anyway, I now have a few excellent brushes and I am looking forward to getting started. I had no idea there were shaving brush forums. You guys are all nutcases you realise :) I have some Opinel knives; the Opinel is listed as one of the 100 most beautiful objects in the world; Simpson brushes should be added as number 101!

Great post and welcome to B&B. We're not anonymous about our Simpsons here (or other brushes for that matter)! I will be very interested to hear your thoughts on the different brushes and how the Best hair feels and functions differently between them.

I wasn't all that impressed with my Rover out of the box since I prefer smaller brushes. But within 2 months the Rover had become my #1 brush and the only brush I use with soaps. My other brushes are quite jealous as it's ruling the roost.

I wasn't all that impressed with my Rover out of the box since I prefer smaller brushes. But within 2 months the Rover had become my #1 brush and the only brush I use with soaps. My other brushes are quite jealous as it's ruling the roost.
I was just the opposite.
I never use my Jagger 18mm (or 19 or whatever it is).
I've got a 57 and Commodore. Bought the Rover LE as a "for the cause" thing. Got it and saw the size, figured it would make a nice travel brush.
It's in my regular rotation of 4 brushes and I find I am always looking forward to "Rover Day"

Damn, I said the chubby2 super 2 bands will be my last brush and by reading this post, I can't resist ... get one !

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
It has been approximately 5 months since I obtained the Rover LE and I have to say that I am utterly and completely satisfied with this brush. But that's not the end of the story. You see, this brush was a shedder extraordinaire.

Now back in the days when I was a newb (that's right, I was a newb :wink: ) and a brush started shedding I would have had a meltdown. This time (and many, many brushes later) I decided that I was going to see this brush through to the end, no matter what consequences may come. (Perhaps the false sense of bravado comes from the fact that I purchased the brush from John at WCS so I knew I had nothing to worry about. What's our mantra when it comes to buying brushes? "Buy from a reliable vendor". Again: "buy from a reliable vendor". ) That being said (twice), I decided to continue on with this little piece of Simpson lore. I also dropped Bob (beginish) a line to document this journey as well.

Every time this brush came up in the rotation (about every 8th day) it would lose 5, 7, 10, 20 :)eek:) hairs per shave. My instincts told me to push the panic button but something held me back. I had to continue. What could happen? The brush would eventually look like Alfalfa from the Little Rascals and have one lone hair standing up. Or it could eventually look like Uncle Fester from the Addams Family and have no hair left at all. (enough with the T.V. references already :rolleyes: ).

Well, I'll tell ya what happened. After months of seeing Simpson Best Badger hair going down the drain, the shedding eventually stopped. I would venture a guess that this brush has lost at least 100 hairs. Can I discern any difference in the density or performance of this brush? Not one iota. Does the brush give up a hair every now and then? Sure it does. Am I glad I didn't give up on this brush? Answer: :yesnod:

If you have a shedder, don't be so quick to push the panic button. Sometimes a brush needs some time to settle down. The Rover LE is so densely packed with hair that I couldn't tell the difference anyway. Now of course YMMV. I did return a Duke 2 that was still shedding way too much hair after one -year and received a new brush (I actually replaced it with what became my fave brush of all-time, the Somerset Duke 3). The Duke 2 was replaced "no-questions asked".

You know why? Remember the mantra. :wink:

Last edited:
Top Bottom