What's new

First shave with birth year razor

I scored a birth year razor (1976 Black Handle Super Speed) off the 'Bay for $15, in great condition! Okay, so I was *born* in 1977, but I figured the razor was *made* the same year I was. :001_unsur Hey, the only 1977 I found was a Super Adjustable that ended up going for $100!!! :scared: No way cedarfurnitureman.

It arrived 10 minutes before I planned on showering, so I opened it up and inspected it. Clean as a whistle, not a shred of brassing or soap scum, just some visible wear on the black enamel (you can see the bright metal slightly where some of the enamel has thinned on the high spots) and a few scratches on the head. But since it's as old as I am, and I have some visible wear, I can't be too hard on the razor. :001_smile

Loaded 'er up with an Astra SP, soaked my Omega 31025 boar brush while I showered. Got out, lathered up some Pre de Provence shave soap and went to it. This is a "quick" weekday shave, so not really going for BBS...but got pretty close anyway. Two passes on the face/chin, one on the neck. The PdP did its job well, no nicks, cuts, or irritation. Followed up with Thayer's Superhazel, then Jason 6-in-1 AS Balm which I diluted with Pinaud Citrus Musk -- directions say to use cold water, but the Citrus Musk and balm worked very well together.

Unlike the Red Tip I also use regularly, the Black Handle actually works well with the Astra SP blades. The Red Tip doesn't like them for some reason.

So anyhow, I'm impressed with the shave the '76 SS Black Handle gives.

So its really a conception razor... now all the razor AD guys are going to be looking for razors made 9 months earlier to their birth year razor...lol

I shaved with my birth year razor this morning, a 1970 Gillette Super Speed with the flair tip and black handle. Very mild razor, and light. I'm used to my Fat Boy and my 1949 Super Speed which are solid steel and hefty. The 1970 aluminum Super Speed felt more cheaply made, but I got a good shave. I use the Hydrolast products. Nice wet, slick shave.

Top Bottom