What's new

The Worst Blade?

Well, a second day of using the same Merkur blade, what I suspected might take place did just that...second day smoother as it is with most blades. On day two, no pulling and very efficient on the cut. No irritation and only one weeper (where I frequently get one due to a facial bump). I'll say again: Merkurs aren't terrible for me...but could stand some smoothing of the edge for the first day. I wouldn't stock up on 'em due to cost and that first day experience. Sharp, but not smooth.

I am convinced that whatever their value as blades, Merkurs are the worst-marketed.

To me, including a Merkur blade sample with razors recommended for new shavers is nearly suicidal.

They're going to be blamed for the poor first shave that new shavers often get. It took me nearly two years to try a Timor, which are rumored to be the same blade with different packaging. I like Timors, but am reluctant to ever try a Merkur again.

Funny you should mention that. My first shave/blade was the aforementioned Merkur because it came with the razor. About 18 months in, I traded for 50 Timors, which are now my absolute favorite blade!! After I use up my Bolzanos and Silver Blues, while trading away my Vohskods it will likely be Timors only for me. YMMV & C (change!).

The worst blades for me are Personna Lab Blues. They don't work well in any of my razors. They shred my face along with the whiskers. If that's because they're "sharper" than the other blades I use, then clearly sharpness isn't everything. They're especially lousy in my milder razors, since I have to do more passes which means more bloodshed. I'd rather use a Derby blade.

Super-Max Platinums, on the other hand, are the dullest blades I believe I've had the displeasure of using. I used one in a shave after hopping out of the shower, it still tugged like crazy. No blade should ever tug on its first use with shower prep.

I'm partial to most of the brands pushed out of Moscow but the Gillette Silver Blues and Gillette Platinums tear me up.

As a glutton for punishment I give them a chance a couple times a year, then one blade goes in the box and the others go to the back of the cabinet...
lol I'm a lot like this. I'll leave the Personna Lab Blues aside because I don't like them, but every few months I try one again, convincing myself the lousy shaves were completely my fault due to user error. But then I get a bad shave and hate them all over again. :lol:

Top Bottom