What's new

Question? Purpose of numbers 1, 2, 3, & 4 on Blades

Does anyone know the purpose of the numbers on opposite corners of some manufacturers DE blades? I think there is a 1 and 2 on opposite corners on one side and 3 and 4 on opposite corners on the reverse side.:confused1

It has been discussed on other threads but the numbers are there as part of the manufacturing process to indicate which edges have been honed.

you guys think you obsess over stuff and would even use this thread as proof, but let me share something with you.

in the world of hi-fi, a classic turntable, the linn LP12, has a flat belt that enables the motor to drive the platter. there is no coding on the belt, but enthusiasts quickly realized there were four ways you could mount it, sort of like a blade in DE. many, many people have tried the various options to figure out what is best, but it is entirely a personal experience, given that there are no markings on the rubber. i can not only imagine, but actually guarantee, the years of forum wars that would ensue if there was some sort of 1-2-3-4 imprint on the belts.

in method shaving: you must begin with #3 articulated in the optimal corner of your well-irrigated and temperaturized shearing instrument.

vuk.

The 1 must face north while the 2 faces west 3 faces east and 4 faces south. When you have all of the numbers lined up corretly a beam of light will decend from the hevans and you will finally be granted a fabled bbs. I unfortuantley can't nake this happen because I live on the international date line......good luck to you kind sir....

Not much use, but i use it to track the numer of times i've used a blade. Specially useful now that i'm just a beginner and i'm trying out different blades.
I just mark each number with a Sharpie after each shave with that particular blade and that way i can know if its unused, used once, twice...

It is a secret encoded message on the DE blade dance you do after completing your shave.

If only two ends are numbered, you do the Texas Two Step, and if four ends are numbered, you do a Waltz!

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
It is a secret encoded message on the DE blade dance you do after completing your shave.

If only two ends are numbered, you do the Texas Two Step, and if four ends are numbered, you do a Waltz!

Oh, man, don't you know we're NOT supposed to tell newbies the secret? Now they have to redo all the numbers. And we have to learn them.

Oh, man, don't you know we're NOT supposed to tell newbies the secret? Now they have to redo all the numbers. And we have to learn them.

Well, sooner or later they are just going to have to break down and pay for dance lessons like the rest of us old'timers....1,2,3,4 skip, bow, 1,2,3,4, skip, bow :lol::lol::lol:

captp

If I had a dollar for every time this same question became a thread, I'd be driving a 'Maybach'...LOL

If I had a dollar for every time this question was asked, I'd have a Bentley and a driver.

One of my favorite threads for all the answers; they get more creative each time.

captp

The 1st rule of What do the Numbers on Blades Mean is there are no numbers on blades.

Top Bottom