What's new

INK REVIEW J Herbin 1670 Rouge Hermatite

Here's the J Herbin 1670 made for their 340th anniversary, needless to say it's very red almost to bright for me.

proxy.php

I like this ink a lot, but it's highly schizophrenic!
On the normal copy paper we use at my job it gives me all kinds of crazy red/brown/gold-ish hues.
In my daily notebook (Cartesio with Clairfountaine paper) it doesn't do too well with a wet writer and broad nibs, seems to feather and bleed through a bit,
but works great with the Pilot 78g pens, which aren't the wettest.

Last edited:
The red brown gold hues are a characteristic of the ink that I recall reading about now that you mention them.

Great looking ink but it clogs a pen easily. Beautiful but high mantience -- of course many of us can live with that on lots of levels!

Strange, that has not been my experience. I've used it primarily in a Cross Verve Merlot and a Pilot Custom 74, wet writers, but it's been in few others. It even started immediately in pens that haven't been used in a week or more. My bottle is from the original release a couple years ago.

The review picture of this ink is now gone (sad face), does anyone have this ink and able to put a review with some close up shots using light to show off its highlights ?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I'll try, maybe a day or two James. My scanner is out but I'll take a camera pic. Cool highlights of gold flake, especially nice in a full-flowing pen.

I put it in a Pelikan M200 with two different nibs, one gold and one steel, no problems after more than two weeks -- some guys at a large FP forum claimed they had some clogging issues but they may have had stingy flow to begin with as it did run a little on the dry side. Beautiful ink, it would be good for Christmas cards, invitations, etc.

well maybe it was my work computer blocking it out, as here at home it loads just fine,... I had no picture at all in place there

still some closeups from a juicy big nib may help

Top Bottom