What's new

British Aristocracy (pic heavy)

I promised some pics of my British Aristocrats in my earlier thread about my Rockets. My photography skills haven't improved markedly but I thought you might still enjoy poring over these anyway.

First up, a family portrait. As usual some of the 'children' at the front obscure those at the back - sorry about that. You can see them all in more detail in the individual shots.

First up is a #15 with its shippers. A nice little razor - love using these they provide a fantastic shave. 76g and with no wings on the centre bar this one.

Next we have a gold-plated #16. The lining of the case needs a little gluing I notice - must fix that.

Still on the gold theme my #19.

As we transition from gold here is my Aristocrat De Luxe, basically a gold plated #66. Some plate loss on this one but still a loved member of the family.

'It is good to be the King' - or Queen actually for this coronation!. A 1953 Coronation Set #66 in aluminium. Very light but very nice. This was a surprise score. I knew it was a Coronation Set - the aluminium a bonus.

With instructions and the original blade insert still in place this one is definitely a keeper! I confess that I've not used this #16 and I'm probably not likely to.

Here is my other #66, the regular version. Still loved though and a great shaver!

My #20, a joy to behold and a much loved family member.

This is one of my #21s. I love rhodium!

Ahh, sweet #16. At 84g on my scale this is a heavyweight, but very well balanced and a joy to use.

Last but not least is my other #16. This one is a little rough in the case department but you should have seen it when I rescued it! Whiskers and all sorts of stuff on this one!

So you will notice that a couple of family members are still missing. We hope to reunite them soon. In the meantime - enjoy the pics and Happy Shaving!

Last edited:
Ummm can I have one?!?!?

My god that is a gorgeous collection you have there. I wish I could find a decently priced one that needs some love and attention heh (only way I am buying one for now). This thread does make me want to go out and buy one though.

Also I thought the one with the original, instructional blade insert was a cool touch.

Thanks Angry_Panda.

If I've whet your appetite and you want more make sure you check out my other threads:

American Beauties - some higher end US made Gillettes
Rocket & Friends - the name really says it all - my British rockets and related razors
Some Adjustables - my selection of Gillette Adjustables.

Next on my agenda to get pics of are the Old Types, Single Rings, Double Rings, Combo and Traveller sets and the Pocket Editions. Don't hold you breath for that one though. It could be a while.

I hope you have enjoyed these threads - Happy Shaving! :001_smile

Last edited:
Oooh, what a nice collection Mark! I really love those aristocrats, I want one someday. Sooner or later....

Thanks Angry_Panda.

If I've whet your appetite and you want more make sure you check out my other threads:

American Beauties - some higher end US made Gillettes
Rocket & Friends - the name really says it all - my British rockets and related razors
Some Adjustables - my selection of Gillette Adjustables.

Next on my agenda to get pics of are the Old Types, Single Rings, Double Rings, Combo and Traveller sets and the Pocket Editions. Don't old you breath for that one though. It could be a while.

I hope you have enjoyed these threads - Happy Shaving! :001_smile

OHHHHH I see. This is to enable other people's RAD so you aren't alone! I see your game you rogue!

;) Funny I was just about to click on the American Beauties thread. But yeah. Pic heavy threads are my favorite. They give me a great idea of what I am looking for when I go to antique stores :) .

Thanks for the comments all. I hope you enjoy looking!

Great collection, Mark! I don't much care for the British razors but that is one incredible looking bunch!

I'm surprised you don't like the Brits - they are great razors and IMHO great lookers. Oh well, more for the rest of us I hope :001_smile

OHHHHH I see. This is to enable other people's RAD so you aren't alone! I see your game you rogue!

;) Funny I was just about to click on the American Beauties thread. But yeah. Pic heavy threads are my favorite. They give me a great idea of what I am looking for when I go to antique stores :) .

LOL - maybe more like the appreciative comments make me feel less concerned about the 'investment' :w00t:

I hope that the great ideas of what to look for don't involve my turf!!!! :angry:

Thanks again - enjoy!

I'm surprised you don't like the Brits - they are great razors and IMHO great lookers. Oh well, more for the rest of us I hope :001_smile

I really should clarify my statement. It's not that I don't "like" the British made Gillettes. They are amazing pieces and are engineered better than the American Gillettes. It is simply that they are way out of my price range so I deliberately ignore them so I don't contract some nasty strain of British RAD that I can't afford right now! Maybe after I make my first million I'll start looking much more closely at those admirable pieces.

Thank you for posting, it was a joy to look at such a nice collection.

I hope you get many hours of use and enjoyment out of them.

When I see collections like this, I think they should be in a museum, but then again, I also think they should be used and enjoyed.

I really should clarify my statement. It's not that I don't "like" the British made Gillettes. They are amazing pieces and are engineered better than the American Gillettes. It is simply that they are way out of my price range so I deliberately ignore them so I don't contract some nasty strain of British RAD that I can't afford right now! Maybe after I make my first million I'll start looking much more closely at those admirable pieces.

Ahh, now I understand better. I figure that the disadvantages of trying to collect 'Down Under' in terms of postage costs, availability etc etc must have some compensations. In this case it is that we have a few more British made Gillettes here than you will find in the US.

Just on the postage costs, I did the maths recently and worked out I'd probably spent around $3k just on postage.... :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

Thank you for posting, it was a joy to look at such a nice collection.

I hope you get many hours of use and enjoyment out of them.

When I see collections like this, I think they should be in a museum, but then again, I also think they should be used and enjoyed.

Thanks. My principle is to use every one at least for one cycle (i.e. with one blade until it is no longer usable). I've not gotten there yet and there are a couple of exceptions (like the one noted above) but I'm working on it!

Top Bottom