What's new

Nibs For Lefties!

Yes left handers use fountain pens. I am a proud to be left handed and I use fountain pens. No I do not use left hand so called nibs. I primarily use fine nibs. I do not write overhand I write underhanded.

A teacher once saw me writing with a cheap fountain pen that I found in my dads drawer - it was a Parker I think and he said 'Ha, you are left-handed, you'll never write with that' - I now write with nothing other than a Fountain Pen and my son's teacher tells him that whoever writes parents comments on his weekly school reports has lovely hand writing, so that teacher of mine was wrong!

I find that a left-oblique nib is good for my left-handed over writing style.

There's some great information on left-handed nibs here:
http://nibs.com/Left-hand writers.htm

Left-handed people tend to go for a challenge

Hi Mike,

Let me know how it performs - I mostly use a MB149 with Left Oblique Broad Nib and it suits my overwriting style, but I may try a 1911 if you think it's worth it.

Thanks for the link onotoman, I have that black LH 1911 on the way to me now.

As a lefty, learning to use a straight was much easier than learning to tie my shoes.

When I graduated from college way back when in the days hippiedom, my father gave me a Parker Fountain Pen and Pencil set. Needless to say it was useless and I never tried one again. I always thought nibs were for righties (sounds like a cereal commercial). I'll have to try it again sometime.

I write lefty (and do various tasks with either the left OR right hand) and write overhand. I did this originally to be able to use a right handed desk in grade school and to reduce smearing text. For italic nibs, being 180 degrees out of phase (for me) makes it easier to use a right handed (straight) nib than one made at a right angle.

---
Ken

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Pelikano Jr is one indestructible little pen and a very smooth writer as well. Although I've not tried the leftie, I have given these pens away to interested schoolkids and always have one rolling around in the bottom of my bike bag. Try one, thanks for the suggestion, Mike!

P.S. No clip

Top Bottom