What's new

I love my shave and I love the money I am saving!

Got me a 1949 Super Speed for $2.00 at a garage sale, got a shave brush at Cvs for 4.00 and got me what seems like a lifetime worth of Arko stick at Amazon for $16.99! I also got me 100 shark razor blades for 16 cents a piece! This will last me about 2 years! And you know what? I Got into DE shaving because of the the high prices of carts! But better yet I am getting better shaves and I finding my shave time most relaxing part of my day!! Isn't that NEAT!!

That is where it is at. Let's hope you can keep your act together and not get any AD's!:drool:

Take Care,
Richard

The money savings is why I started this hobby. Turns out though it's the same as others, wallet draining fun. I'm in search of shave nirvana. Safety razors? Check. Blades? Check. Technique? Check. Aftershave? Check. Now all I have left is to find the perfect soaps/creams and I'll be there. This may take a little longer and a lot more cash. Don't succumb as most of us have. Money savings are easily spent elsewhere. But it is a better shave (IMHO) and more enjoyable.

You better stay away from this site if you plan on sticking with the money saving aspect of shaving. Most of us are nothing but a bunch of enablers around here.

You better stay away from this site if you plan on sticking with the money saving aspect of shaving. Most of us are nothing but a bunch of enablers around here.
:lol: I was thinking that this AM. Less than 1 year in and I have 4 safety razors, a straight, 3 soaps, 2 lathering bowls, 1 brush and material to make a strop. Not as bad as some, but it is definitely progressing.

Got me a 1949 Super Speed for $2.00 at a garage sale, got a shave brush at Cvs for 4.00 and got me what seems like a lifetime worth of Arko stick at Amazon for $16.99! I also got me 100 shark razor blades for 16 cents a piece! This will last me about 2 years! And you know what? I Got into DE shaving because of the the high prices of carts! But better yet I am getting better shaves and I finding my shave time most relaxing part of my day!! Isn't that NEAT!!

Very neat :) But consider yourself warned that you will be tempted with other software and hardware over and over.

I was the same way billock, found a gillette tech at an antique store, bought Derby blades (around 10c a blade) online, and either shaved with gel out of a bottle in the shower, or used VDH in a mug at my sink. I even converted my wife (add $15 for 2 more Techs on ebay)! All in all, I saved a TON of money! Sadly, now I found straight razors, and I've contracted a case of SRAD. So good luck to you sir, I hope you hold out better than I did!

-Matt-

Don't worry about AD's billock, I think they are part of finding your best setup. Sounds like you are getting great shaves, so you should be immune to some of the gotta-try-it-out-it-may-be-better-itus that describes the AD's symptoms. I went on a RBAD and RAD tear a bit back after geting started to find the best combo for my wirey beard sensitive skin combo. I now have a razor/blade combo that gives me smooth comfortable shaves, and I am working on paring things down. I am not even interested in going to fleas, and antique malls for stuff anymore. I just want my Speick stick, Grosvenor, Slant and Treets, and I am a happy camper.

Don't let those other guys scare you about AD's. It is possible to remain a minimalist and really save money. I have only two razors, one brush, one ASB and a few soaps. I will not buy another soap until I completely use up one. Keep up the good work.

Sorry, but I laughed when I read this. I'll check back with you in a week or two, after you've spent a few hundred dollars on the latest and greatest soap/cream collection. I don't care how strong you are, you will succumb to some sort of AD.

Good luck, and welcome to B&B.

Got me a 1949 Super Speed for $2.00 at a garage sale, got a shave brush at Cvs for 4.00 and got me what seems like a lifetime worth of Arko stick at Amazon for $16.99! I also got me 100 shark razor blades for 16 cents a piece! This will last me about 2 years!

You're not doing it right. :tongue_sm

...It is possible to remain a minimalist and really save money...

I feel compelled to disagree :wink2:

2 months ago I was using carts and canned goop. But that was before I found B&B.

In the past month I have ordered 2 DE razors, 2 brushes, a spread of blades, 3 creams and 2 soaps ... and the worst part - I'm afraid I'm not done yet, not by a long mile :001_unsur

AD is addictive AND contagious. You have been warned :001_smile

The "I'm saving money" part is really only a line you sell to SWMBO. We all know what's really going through your bank account (or soon to be...) :lol:

Top Bottom