What's new

Spotlight on the Parker "51"

"Like a pen from another planet"........"So unique and so beautiful there is nothing to compare to it--so good it cannot be improved by any known method!"

The iconic Parker "51"

It is probably the most successful pen ever produced. Parker stopped counting how many after they hit 20 Million.

In a poll by the Illinois Institute of Technology, it was voted the fourth best industrial design of the twentieth century. The Parker "51" was a revolutionary design when it debuted, advertised as "Ten Years Ahead" of its time. It had a gold nib that was fitted inside a hood to "trap any overflow and traps it inside-makes this a Pen that won't flood, leak or sweat-yet keeps the point surrounded by ink, thus makes it a split second starter!". Made of 14kt gold, the nib required more gold than the average fountain pen nib. The body was sleek and the material used was Lucite, a very stable and durable plastic material needed to withstand the high acidity of the special Parker "51" ink uniquely developed for this pen.

Development of the Parker "51" was completed in 1939, the 51st anniversary of the Parker Pen Company, thus its name.

The first pens were double jeweled with the jewel on the cap and on the end of the barrel. The filler was Vacumatic with the familiar plunger.

In 1948, Parker introduced its redesigned Parker "51" with its new "Foto-fill Filler", later renamed to the "Aerometric Filler". It announced a series of 15 different improvements, including the capability to be carried at high altitudes. The filler was now a sac made out of "Pli-glass", advertised to last at least 30 years. These sacs are still going strong after more than 60 years, and one seldom finds a bad one.

Kenneth G. Parker, son of company founder George S. Parker and longtime CEO, was fascinated by aircraft and flying. The 1946 purchase of a new corporate plane, inspired Kenneth to ask his designers for an airplane-like pen design. The result, a pen with its workings tweaked for better performance at high altitudes, was the famous stainless-steel Flighter, introduced in October 1949:

Often duplicated........ the Hero 616 was made (is made) at the old Parker plant in Shanghai

A few pics;

A 1950 flighter ...my Grandfathers pen with a factory crisp italic nib.

A 1948 "Plum" colored set.."Plum": a standard (but scarce) Parker 51 color

There has been a truly astonishing amount of misinformation about the 51 color, “plum”. A deep, dark purple, plum was a regular production color for Aerometric-series Parker 51s in both regular and Demi sizes. It is listed in Parker’s official catalogs, parts lists, and repair manuals of the era, as well as in the original production records preserved in the Parker company archives.

For whatever reason, plum did not prove popular, so 51s in that color are scarce today. The color did remain in production for a number of years, but was discontinued well before the 51 itself. Not all Parker 51 literature of the 1950s mentions plum, but it would be absurd to argue that this is indicative of anything other than the color’s relative unpopularity and, as a result, its increasingly marginal status in the 51 line.

Plum is easily confused with the much more common burgundy in normal indoor light. In sunlight or under direct lamplight, however, the difference is obvious: plum is clearly and unapologetically purple, while burgundy is red-brown. Despite what some have claimed, the range of variation in these colors is minimal, and in no way brings them anywhere close enough for confusion

A couple of Vacumatics..

A coin silver cap

A gold Cap

This is not even close to a all encompassing post with all the different models of the "51"... please feel free to add!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful Brian. :thumbup1:
I can add to the mix the Parker 51 "Special" which was a lower cost alternative to the regular Parker 51.
As I understand it they have a steel nib (not gold) and a Lustroloy (stainless steel) cap.
The filler mechanism is not enclosed at the end in a metal tube.
They are vacumatic aeromatic pens and write just as well as the regular line 51.
These pens (both the regular 51 and the "special") are very solid pens.

I use one every day at work.
A workhorse of a pen, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Wonderful Brian. :thumbup1:
I can add to the mix the Parker 51 "Special" which was a lower cost alternative to the regular Parker 51.
As I understand it they have a steel nib (not gold) and a Lustroloy (stainless steel) cap.
The filler mechanism is not enclosed at the end in a metal tube.
They are aerometric pens and write just as well as the regular line 51.
These pens (both the regular 51 and the "special") are very solid pens.

I use one every day at work.
A workhorse of a pen, that's for sure.

FTFY.... You are absolutely correct about the "special". It came out as a lower priced alternative... the nib was called "octanium" as it was a blend of 8 different metals
The barrels and hood were lucite and a hell of a workhorse....

FTFY.... You are absolutely correct about the "special". It came out as a lower priced alternative... the nib was called "octanium" as it was a blend of 8 different metals
The barrels and hood were lucite and a hell of a workhorse....

Oh yeah, now I see my mistake. Thanks.
I like that "Octanium" sounds futuristic.

I love the look of these. A lot of fountain pens are a bit to ornate or flashy (even "regal") to my eyes, but the simplicity of the 51 appeals to me. I prefer the simpler designs (like those the Hero 616 and 100 copy) but even the more dressed-up 51's are nice.

I'd love to get my hands on one, but it'll be a while before I'm willing to part with the money it would likely take to get one in great condition.

The P51 is so respected and valued that the Chinese could make a high quality clone and sell it at a good price. However, they make the Hero hurriedly and tacky. The thread elsewhere here on rebuilding a Hero points out, unintentionally I think, the shortcomings of the current Chinese offering. Pity.

Fantastic write up. Thank you Brian. I mentioned to my father that I was on the hunt for a parker 51 and he mentioned that my grandfather used to write with one. A few weeks later he gave it to me serviced and cleaned with his trade mark 'may as well be black blue black' I have tried to con him into trying other inks but he wont use anything but waterman blue black. It is a great pen and to know that it was my grandfathers makes it that much more special than one bought of the bay. It has his name crudely engraved on the barrel and I love it!

Brian,

How does a Parker "21" compare to the 51? I recently acquired a 21 and I'm enjoying the pen as my work pen.

Thanks for the write up!

Brian,

How does a Parker "21" compare to the 51? I recently acquired a 21 and I'm enjoying the pen as my work pen.

Thanks for the write up!

In basic appearance, they are pretty similar with the 51 being a bit larger than the 21. However, the 21 was made to be a more affordable Parker, so costs were cut in a few ways. For one, you have steel nibs on the 21 and gold on the 51. You won't find many 21s with pretty "extras" like jeweled caps, gold caps, gold/ornamented clips, etc. They exist, but the options were not as numerous as with 51s. Also, the ink capacity is much larger on the 51. There are lots of options for filling systems for the 51, whereas the 21 only comes with one.

Don't discount the Super 21s, though. You can find NOS examples for $40-50 and they're fine writers. If you're lucky, though, you can also score great user-grade 51s for that same price or cheaper. I recently picked up a 51 with a personalized barrel and a ding in the cap for $31. Other than that, it's in great condition and writes flawlessly.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Why did they move away from the vacumatic filling system? To me, aerometric filling seems like nothing more than a converter.

Legion

Staff member
Why did they move away from the vacumatic filling system? To me, aerometric filling seems like nothing more than a converter.

Reliability, and cost of manufacture. The Vacs had moving parts, which complicated the mechanism, and made servicing more of an issue as well. This has been pretty much proven by time, since a majority of Aerometrics found in the wild will work with little more than a flush and clean. Vacs usually need to be stripped down, diaphragms replaced, etc.

Having said that, once the vacs are serviced they write just as well.

It was a very proud moment to sign my first mortgage papers with my grandfathers 51'. My father was also very moved by this as his father passed when he was young and even though I never met him I still get to honor him by using his parker.

Top Bottom