What's new

'65 Flare Tip Super Speed (Is it a smooth shaver?)

Good evening all,

I have been DE wetshaving for a little over a month now and am really starting to get the hang of it. Well at least I don't have razor burn every day like I did the first week!

So I have been looking to take a step in the new razor direction and I opted for something reasonable on Ebay. I purchased a 1965 Flare Tip Super Speed razor (silver tip, not black, red, or blue.) It was in shave ready condition; sterilized, polished etc... for about $16.00 including shipping.

I shaved with it tonight and in comparison to the modern Parker 98R, the super speed seemed to be much smoother (less aggresive.) Granted it had only been 13 hours since my last shave.

Is this what is expected from a Super Speed? I really like the size of it as I thoguht the 98R would be perfect, but after seeing a Super Speed, I think I like the smaller size of the superspeed much better.

I've got a '64 Super Speed. It is WONDERFUL! Even with different blades in it!

Old Gillettes seem to have been built to a higher standard and much better QC than many modern razors.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Superspeeds are the personification of well built, every day shavers.
There are claims by some that the Superspeeds are too mild, but good technique and the right blade will quickly dissipate that opinion.
You don't need to peel off a layer of skin on the first pass to get a good shave, and the Superspeed is just the ticket if you're looking for that "go to" razor.

See this thread;

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-of-the-Month-50-60-70-s-Superspeed-July-2011

I'm not sure of the year of mine, and i've only used it with a Feather blade, but that combination worked like a dream. If i wasn't buying and trying more razors than i need to, i could happily settle on that combo for the rest of my days!

I started with a '62 and used it exclusively for the first three months. I think it was an ideal first razor, and it's still a regular part of my rotation.

I just started using this 1965 K1 flare tip.
Fantastic smooth shaver, kind of in between my Tech & DE89 in terms of aggression. I used a Gillette Indian Black first up. I've bought & sold quite a few razors over the last few years. This is definitely a keeper. :thumbup1:

$IMG_8789.JPG

$IMG_8796.JPG

That's my birthday razor, 1st quarter 1965.

I have a '64 that is great. Throw a feather or other sharp blade in this mild tool and you'll be very happy with the results.

Agree 100%. Super Speeds are awesome. Bullet-proof quality and time tested performance, plus classic style. What else could a shaver want?

Go get some more!!

Superspeeds are the personification of well built, every day shavers.
There are claims by some that the Superspeeds are too mild, but good technique and the right blade will quickly dissipate that opinion.
You don't need to peel off a layer of skin on the first pass to get a good shave, and the Superspeed is just the ticket if you're looking for that "go to" razor.

See this thread;

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-of-the-Month-50-60-70-s-Superspeed-July-2011

I absolutely love the Gillette Super Speed. My dad's M4 Super Speed gave me my first ever shave, and one of these days in going to find an M4 in truly wondrous condition and add it to my collection.

I think I favor the 40's Super Speed model a little more, but I never turn down a Super Speed if the price is fair when I find them. They make wonderful razors!

mswofford

Rest in Peace
The Gillette Flare Tip is a good looking (my opinion) classic Gillette that is an excellent razor for beginners AND experienced shavers! They were made from 1954 through 1988 so it's relatively easy to find an excellent example at a reasonable price. Here's my 1956 B3;
$razors 052.jpg

Last edited:
I had one such SuperSpeed but sold it because I tended to reach for Slim and not for it.
Smooth and non-irritable shave, yes.

My 40's Super Speed (going to go out a limb and say it probably shaves the same) is a fantastic mild shaver. I started out with a Merkur 34C, and then got the Super Speed. Gives a great shave without having to worry as much about irritation and nicking myself. Just takes a little additional cleanup compared to the 34C, but is worth it by far. Not to mention the fact it is twist to open which makes cleaning a breeze.

Top Bottom