What's new

I got fat

I don't know how it happened but I got fat. In the past 2 years I've gained 30 lbs and now am 200 lbs for the first time in my life. I used to be skinny enough to wear jeans but those days are over. I ask the workoutaholics, how do you find the motivation to workout? I hate doing it but I have the want to go. I know the next step is obesity. What do you do to stay lean and trim?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in a similar situation at the moment - working around 70 hours a week meant I had to give up exercise (I was pretty fit before, working out around 5 times a week) and I put on about 10 kgs.

For me, I had to quit my job as I wasn't prepared to have it affect my health. I was a fat kiddy and I had to work really hard to get fit in the first place so I know how hard it is to get back in shape and maintain it. In terms of motivation I use my frustration and anger at being fat to force me to exercise and then push myself in the workout. It sounds stupid, but it works. The key is to be stubborn and force yourself, even though initially you dont want to.

The way I lost weight, about 35lbs, was running and lifting weights. Now I just mostly run. If you can get in about 30 minutes of cardio per day, and watch your diet closely, you'll lose the weight. I'd say your diet is as important as working out, even if you work out but you don't eat right it won't matter.

Legion

Staff member
I kind of have the opposite problem, I'm trying to keep my weight over 200lbs. (I'm naturally slim, but 6'3 and trying to keep my muscle bulk up.)

The trick is consistency, whether you are trying to put weight on or take it off. A lot of people say "I have no time to exercise", but they spend at least 1/2 an hour a day in front of the TV or, dare I say it, on the internet. I know I do. If you just didn't turn on the TV ever, and spent that 1/2 hour training hard each day, what would you lose? A sitcom? But that daily 1/2 hour, as long as it is spent productively, will make all the difference to your physique.

I made it a part of my daily routine. I didn't always know what time I would get home after work or how spent/motivated I would be. I started getting up earlier and exercising before I went to work. I take Sundays off and sleep in and then go for a walk.
I cross train so I don't get bored.

I lost 100lbs about ten years ago. I gained about 30 back when I went through a brief depression spell and than lost it again. It is very difficult at times because I really hate the gym. I found a method that works to lose weight and maintain.

1. To loose weight you have to eat right. Avoid the following: Cheese, whole milk, mayo, potato chips, any kind of fast food, chocolate, anything fried, some salad dressings(they can have more fat than the main meal)
2. Don't skip meals
3. Snack often. You can eat as much fruit and veggies as you want.
4. Eat bread. Do not listen to the low carb stuff. Bread is low in fat and provides energy.
5. Monitor your calories to about 1800-2000 and less than 20 grams a fat a day.
6. Exercise. Don't go to gym because you will get bored. Just take a nice brisk walk every morning before work and when you get home before dinner.

The weight will melt off fast and permamnet. After you get to your desired weight you can eat what ever you want just in moderation but I would still avoid fast food. Keep the walk as a routine. I walk with my girlfriend everyday and it gives us time to talk about our day.

I lost 100lbs about ten years ago. I gained about 30 back when I went through a brief depression spell and than lost it again. It is very difficult at times because I really hate the gym. I found a method that works to lose weight and maintain.

1. To loose weight you have to eat right. Avoid the following: Cheese, whole milk, mayo, potato chips, any kind of fast food, chocolate, anything fried, some salad dressings(they can have more fat than the main meal)
2. Don't skip meals
3. Snack often. You can eat as much fruit and veggies as you want.
4. Eat bread. Do not listen to the low carb stuff. Bread is low in fat and provides energy.
5. Monitor your calories to about 1800-2000 and less than 20 grams a fat a day.
6. Exercise. Don't go to gym because you will get bored. Just take a nice brisk walk every morning before work and when you get home before dinner.

The weight will melt off fast and permamnet. After you get to your desired weight you can eat what ever you want just in moderation but I would still avoid fast food. Keep the walk as a routine. I walk with my girlfriend everyday and it gives us time to talk about our day.

This is kinda what I did when I lost 40 pounds years ago. Of all the aforementioned tips, i'd say the number one is watch what you eat.
If you can get that under your belt (literally) then the rest falls into place.
It's difficult, but it sets the stage for the rest.

Good luck.

If you are working long hours, it's going to be hard to get to the gym. Figure out a way to work out at home. Walk or run outside. If you can't do that, invest in an exercise bike, stairmaster, something like that. Resolve to use it--maybe work out on it when you're watching TV. You can buy some weights for home but that isn't absolutely necessary (at least not at first). Learn to do body weight exercises. Get some exercise bands. Make yourself work out consistently every day.

Diet is also crucial. Do some research and find a plan that you can keep with. Drink lots of water. Quit eating and drinking junk. Remember, no matter how you slice it, calories add up. You have to burn more than you take in if you're going to lose weight.

The question of motivation is difficult. If you start working out regularly, motivation will follow. You'll find that you like the way you feel when you exercise and that will inspire you to keep with it. I'd be willing to be that you'll have more energy too. It's the initial start that's hard. If there was an easy answer to that, everybody would be fit. You just have to make yourself do it. Post something here every day when you exercise and we'll be happy to give you all the encouragement we can.

I lost 30 pounds nearly 3 years ago, and have stayed the same. Yes, this works.

A few small differences:

1. I have a lot fruit for lunch, and a heavy fruit dessert (no skins, watch out for insecticides). Low gylcemic index is the key, and unprocessed food is mostly good. Aim to eat so that you feel just a little short of full, and snack on fruit and nuts as needed.

2. Running or swimming 3 times a week really helps. I had meniscus surgery of my left knee, and now only swim. But even this works.

3. A short (20 minute) workout daily ~before~ dinner, at home. My equipment: dumbells, chinup bar, tnt cables, swiss ball, captains of crush hand grips, abs roller. I don't use all every day, but rotate. A fixed routine helps a good habit settle.

4. As you progress, buy clothes that flatter your new physique (loose, baggy clothing doesn't work), and take note of this in a full length mirror, often. Being aware that you are looking better really motivates!

Get started. You won't regret it.

This is kinda what I did when I lost 40 pounds years ago. Of all the aforementioned tips, i'd say the number one is watch what you eat.
If you can get that under your belt (literally) then the rest falls into place.
It's difficult, but it sets the stage for the rest.

Good luck.

With most folks lifestyles these days going to a gym for an intensive workout several times a week as a calorie burn is impractical and expensive. The main thing is your diet. You need to examine what you eat and make some hard choices. Diets don't work because after you have lost that's when the really hard part starts keeping it off and the older you get the easier it is to gain weight and the harder it is to lose it. You have to change your lifestyle meaning eat right and get exercise. It's that simple really.

You sir need a job in construction.. In the Past 9 months I have lost 40lbs. I do not work out and I do not eat overly well but I have started framing houses agIn. It is such a physically strenuous and fast paced job the pounds melt off

I have the same problem when I quit the smoking habit I switched to food, and became obese. The biggest thing in my opinion is the decision you have to make to want to lose weight.
After the decision was made in my case I went on a 1800 calorie diet and wrote everything i ate down for the first 2 months. This changed my eating habits and now I find it hard to eat the 1800 calories each day. No junk food! No junk food! With the diet I also got off my butt and started walking and now its a habit with me and I walk 2 1/2 miles each morning at the very start of my day, it is over before I know it and I am done with my exercise for the day. I have lost 50 lbs in 3 months, yesterday I bought some cat litter in a 40 lb container and thought to myself when I first started walking I carried 10 lbs more than this for the 2 1/2 miles, it was hard to imagine. My goal is to lose 120 lbs total so I am almost half way there.

Losing weight is 90% diet.

Drop the following:

1. Anything processed, but mostly the processed carbs, including bread. Especially bread and grain products.
2. Alcohol.
3. Fruit. You don't actually need it, and the sugars in fruit can stall weight loss.
4. Milk. The sugars in milk can also stall weight loss. It is also no coincidence that when people need to gain weight that milk is often introduced into their diet.

I'd suggest adding in some exercise, but you don't have to make the workouts grueling. walk for an hour a day, 4 days per week. Often, lower intensity exercise is better for weight loss *** it does not stimulate cortisol (which is one of the bigger causes of weight gain). An hour a day of grueling exercise burns scant calories, even when you consider the boost in metabolism.

Also make sure you get at least 8 hours of sleep a night.

Using these methods I dropped 40 lbs last summer, and I'll be using them to drop my last 25 this summer.

If you really want to kick it into overdrive, check out Marin Berkham's LEANGAINS website for info on intermittent fasting. Intermittent fasting only works for some, tho.

Last edited:
Lots of good advice. As for motivation, I suggest you adjust your thinking along the lines of "this is what I do", and "this is something I don't do". Constantly think in those terms. As in "I go to the gym every day and workout, it's who I am and what I do", not "Hm, maybe I'll go to the gym today", or "Wonder if I can workout today?" Personally, we get up very early and workout before we do anything else. I often remind myself when the alarm goes off that I will feel much better later if I get up and work out than if I reset the alarm and get more sleep. I've done that so long I don't even think about it much anymore.

Same with food. If you think in terms of "I don't eat donuts", then when someone brings them to a meeting at work, you can ignore them. It's not always easy, but it works better for me when I think of these things as absolutes, decisions that have already been made and put into action, not constant decisions to wrestle with.

Good luck!

It's like shaving; you have to try different things to find your preferences.

For me walking seems more like recreation than work; I hope it is the same for you. Even though the intensity is low it is effective. If you don't have a dog your neighbors will be happy to lend you one!

I never got around to lifting weights at home but being at the gym seeing other people doing it motivates me.

I like the peace and quiet of swimming laps but some people don't. Lots of people like the group exercise classes; not my cup of tea but you might.

Water aerobics may be available at your local gym or YMCA.

Research shows that people exercise more effectively with music. Ipods are very popular at my gym.

Above all make it routine to do something, even a walk, every day. The time it takes to watch the TV news is enough for significant cardio.

A few sessions with a personal trainer can be very helpful to find a routine.

Good luck! You'll be glad you did. Just one pound a week is fifty pounds in a year. You are supposed to gain weight Christmas and Thanksgiving weeks :).

Over the last 40 years I had slowly gained about 60-70 pounds. Blood glucose and triglycerides were inching up so I decided it was time to do something.

I first started walking, 10-12 miles a week, and secondly modified my diet. I eliminated white foods, potatoes, rice, bread, refined sugar and all junk food , instead using whole wheat bread, whole grain rice and pasta, all the fresh fruit I wanted. I never drank sodas, only water, unsweeted coffee or tea so that was not a problem.

Over the course of almost 6 months, I dropped 65 lbs and triglycerides are now low normal, blood glucose remains very high normal, which upon dicussion with my dr we agree it is inherited as a bit of diabetes has surfaced in some of my aunts, and cousins so far.

Again, I did and still am consuming all the fresh fruit I want, including some things that are considered high in sugars, such as grapes, bananas, peaches ect and am still seeing a drop in the diabetes indicators. I eat all the cheese, probably too much, and meats that I want and with low doses of statins am keeping cholesterol in the low range and ldl vs hdl is in proper ratio.

This worked for me, as someone who is in the medical professions, I know this exact program will now work for everyone. I knew enough to start and go in the right direction. Others will need to modify their diet and lifestyle to suit their body and metabolism.

I don't know how it happened but I got fat. In the past 2 years I've gained 30 lbs and now am 200 lbs for the first time in my life. I used to be skinny enough to wear jeans but those days are over. I ask the workoutaholics, how do you find the motivation to workout? I hate doing it but I have the want to go. I know the next step is obesity. What do you do to stay lean and trim?

If you haven't had a complete physical in a while, it might be a good time to have one just to make sure there are no medical issues.

I remember when I went over 200 the first time, and my frame is not made for 200. I lost down years ago and I stay under it now. My big problem at the time was lunch. I was overeating at lunch and I was eating the wrong stuff, then coming home and having a typically too large dinner.

I tend to hover in the 190-200 range, which is probably about 20 pounds more than I should weigh w/ my frame. But the one time I've ever dropped below 190 in my memory is when I was living on my own, with not terribly much money, and no dishwasher. Meaning that I had to cook basically everything I ate (I did eat out here and there, but mostly cheap falafel sandwiches and that sort of thing), I was cooking with basic ingredients, and I had to think really hard about making more food if I thought I was still hungry after a meal-- it meant more dishes!

Cut down on your calorie volume generally, but honestly I didn't go hungry at all-- I just ate less crap and more healthy food, and it melted off.

Diet and exercise. Make them part of your lifestyle, not a means to an end and you'll never have to have this conversation again.

Don't dwell on hating the gym. Just start going. 45 minutes, three days a week to start. You'd be surprised at how much you can accomplish in those 135 minutes. It is a relatively small commitment in terms of time and money. And well worth it.

I'd recommend a weight lifting routine to add lean muscle mass and increase your basal metabolic rate. Oh, and don't bother with personal trainers. Instead, read one of Rippletoe's books.

Top Bottom