What's new

please confirm...Isaac Walker H'ware = Boker?

I picked this "Pride of the West" razor up a few weeks ago at an antique store nearby for 20 bucks including the original coffin box. Worked for me. Little nick in the edge, I sanded it out on some sandpaper, sent it out for honing, and shaved with it this morning (nice edge, Larry!).

Anyway, I didn't think it was anything to be excited about, I mean, a hardware store straight razor? Oh well, it's got "Germany" on it and the box. I searched around, and the Isaac Walker Hardware company is a Midwestern company that took someone to court in 1882 (link) and looks like they were still around in the 1930's, given their gun catalog (link). So that's kinda a neat history. Here's a picture of the pretty-standard, normal looking razor:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Now the question. Looking more closely at this thing revealed a little tree on the very tail of the tang:

proxy.php

Danged if it doesn't look just like one of the old Boker logos...I did some searching, and found that it's similar to some of the logos in this neat historical Boker book here (link) check pages 2 and 5, specifically. I don't see Isaac Walker mentioned anywhere in the book, but maybe Boker just was rebranding to lots of folks at the time?

Any insight? If I got a vintage Boker out of the deal, that's kinda cool, no? :w00t:

Later folks,
Krodor

Looks like the Boker logo to me as well. I've also seen Bokers with the small "Made In Germany" stamped in the tang just like that as well.

It was more than likely made by Boker for Isaac Walker hardware stores it's not uncommon to see this type of rebranding.

Boker made alot of razors that were branded as the retailer as opposed to the maker. That's definitely the Boker emblem on the tail so I'd have no hesitation is saying it's made by Boker.

I picked this "Pride of the West" razor up a few weeks ago at an antique store nearby for 20 bucks including the original coffin box. Worked for me. Little nick in the edge, I sanded it out on some sandpaper, sent it out for honing, and shaved with it this morning (nice edge, Larry!).

Anyway, I didn't think it was anything to be excited about, I mean, a hardware store straight razor? Oh well, it's got "Germany" on it and the box. I searched around, and the Isaac Walker Hardware company is a Midwestern company that took someone to court in 1882 (link) and looks like they were still around in the 1930's, given their gun catalog (link). So that's kinda a neat history. Here's a picture of the pretty-standard, normal looking razor:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Now the question. Looking more closely at this thing revealed a little tree on the very tail of the tang:

proxy.php

Danged if it doesn't look just like one of the old Boker logos...I did some searching, and found that it's similar to some of the logos in this neat historical Boker book here (link) check pages 2 and 5, specifically. I don't see Isaac Walker mentioned anywhere in the book, but maybe Boker just was rebranding to lots of folks at the time?

Any insight? If I got a vintage Boker out of the deal, that's kinda cool, no? :w00t:

Later folks,
Krodor

I also have a Pride Of The West with the same mark.
I just acquired a Koken Congress with another Boker chestnut tree
of similar size in the same place.

Here they are together:

DSCN1117b.jpg

Here's a close up of the Isaac Walker:

Mon Apr 05 17-01-30.jpg

Here's the Koken Congress:

Mon Apr 05 17-02-46.jpg

Top Bottom