What's new

Long Handled Brushes

I'd like to pick up a long handled shaving brush, and I'm wondering what companies make a brush like this? I've only really seen Merkur brushes with longer handles for sale at West Coast Shaving.

I have a vulfix super badger that I'm pretty happy with, but I think I could get a better whipping action with a longer handled brush, and it would clank less against the edges of the shaving bowl while I'm making later which bothers me a lot more than it should :tongue_sm

Do any of you out there have a longer handled brush that you really like?

You could have someone turn you a custom handle. I do custom work and I am sure that you could find many more here willing to do the same. You could always go with a TGN knot or a Shavemac not.

THe Simpson Emperor 2 or 3 would work - they have long narrowish handles. I have the E2 and it works great with bowl lathering. Also, Shavemac makes a nice long handled brush but I can't recall the name of it.

There are many vintage brushes with long handles.

Seems like it was more popular back in the day.

Typically these were made of wood with a celluoid top that held the knot.

Reknoting one of these would give you a custom brush for a fraction of the cost of a high end brush from one of the major makers.

Reknoting one of these would give you a custom brush for a fraction of the cost of a high end brush from one of the major makers.

+1
I have two vintage long-handled brushes (one wood and celluloid, and one all celluloid/plastic(?)) reknotted with TGN Finest Badger knots and both are delightful!

Aside from the Vintage handles, the long handled Simpson brushes in current production that may work for you are the Polo, Colonel, Tulip and the PJ...

I've done a few of this type of handle:

Something like that would suit you well...
Also, Simpson Colonel, most Kents, Rooney type 2, all have longer handles.

I have a Penworks Penchetta LE brush with a long handle that I love. It's a big brush overall.... 28mm knot I think. But he has others with thinner handles and smaller knots, you can see it in this pic:

proxy.php

Top Bottom