What's new

Do not wipe blade... why?

Not buying that myself. I occasionally use a straight razor and its really important to ensure the edge is dry after its been used which is why many people do a pre and post strop.

That being the case, if you plan on using a DE for more than one use there's no reason why you can't give the blade a quick clean and dry after use. I'd just gently pat it a couple of times on a towel or move the DE blade lightly on a cloth moving the edge away from the cloth as you would with a straight.

proxy.php

Some DE blades have teflon (or other coatings) that make the blade smoother. It's my understanding that wiping these blades removes these coatings.

Some DE blades have teflon (or other coatings) that make the blade smoother. It's my understanding that wiping these blades removes these coatings.

If that's the case, though, I would have thought that the coating wouldn't withstand a shave. I just assumed that it is to discourage people from trying to strop or hone their blades but expressed in a way that sounds like a safety warning.

If that's the case, though, I would have thought that the coating wouldn't withstand a shave. I just assumed that it is to discourage people from trying to strop or hone their blades but expressed in a way that sounds like a safety warning.

I believe the coating does eventually wear off due to use but not near as quick as palm stropping the blade. I could be wrong on this point but this is what I gather from the info attained with this forum.

Maybe somebody else could give us a better explanation.

i don't think that the majority of the coating do withstand a shave or 2... at least that what I think the microscope pictures show..

As I recall, the "warnings" not to wipe began when disposable blades went to stainless. At the time, rustproof blades were a huge selling point.

OK. So it might be a combination of :

• a warning : "danger, blades are sharp"
  • a advise : "do not remove the coating"

This is really one of many topics that have no one answer. Basically, you'll get a list of opinions and it is left up to you to compile the results and formulate your own opinion.

This isn't a one-size-fits-all hobby. But that's what makes it so much fun. :thumbup:

I hesitate to use teflon blades if the coating simply wears off within a few shaves... yeah, wears off into open wounds on the face. I thought teflon was poisonous or somethin? If not, maybe someone should invent teflon shave cream instead. patent pending..

This is really one of many topics that have no one answer. Basically, you'll get a list of opinions and it is left up to you to compile the results and formulate your own opinion.
I'm certain there's a definitive answer. Has anyone considered asking a manufacturer?

Top Bottom