What's new

Three restores - ER 100, Mohawk, Star

proxy.php

There they are. I was most looking forward to the Star, but it has an inverted Y crack running the length of the base. I'll hold and seal it with epoxy and make due.
proxy.php

You might find that after you clean out the old knot on the star, go a little deeper and find it to be hollow, if so you can fill the brush with epoxy and you wont need to worry about the crack.

You might find that after you clean out the old knot on the star, go a little deeper and find it to be hollow, if so you can fill the brush with epoxy and you wont need to worry about the crack.

Sounds like a great way to go. Thanks!

As far as the Star goes, solid handle. Small open area just below the plug. White stuff below it. Could it be hollow? I think I'm going to have to drizzle some epoxy in the cracks and sand it out. I think it'll still look pretty good after sanding, polishing, black lettering, and a dark pure badger knot.

There is a ring in there. I'll have to yank that out.

ADD: The ring is out. After cleaning some epoxy out from behind it, I got it sideways and twisted it with some needlenose pliers to pull it out. I can't get the 20mm knot down in there, even after opening up the hole a bit. Gonna have to order something 18mm...

AD: 18mm finest ordered from TGN. This'll be my first experience with this knot.

ADD: I drilled down farther. Seems the entire base is filled with plaster of Paris.

Last edited:
As far as the Star goes, solid handle. Small open area just below the plug. White stuff below it. Could it be hollow? I think I'm going to have to drizzle some epoxy in the cracks and sand it out. I think it'll still look pretty good after sanding, polishing, black lettering, and a dark pure badger knot.

There is a ring in there. I'll have to yank that out.

ADD: The ring is out. After cleaning some epoxy out from behind it, I got it sideways and twisted it with some needlenose pliers to pull it out. I can't get the 20mm knot down in there, even after opening up the hole a bit. Gonna have to order something 18mm...

AD: 18mm finest ordered from TGN. This'll be my first experience with this knot.

ADD: I drilled down farther. Seems the entire base is filled with plaster of Paris.

Yep, it's plaster...I've got a similar STAR brush except it's all black. There was a crack in the side and moisture got in, expanded the plaster, and pushed the entire bottom plate loose. I ground out some of the plaster from the bottom and used epoxy to fix the crack and re-glue the bottom plate. After pulling out the old knot and the metal ring, I filled the then hollow top half with silicone adhesive and used that to hold the new knot. I ended up opening the hole a bit and using a 20mm TGN Finest Badger, with extra hair. It turned out to be a great little brush...one of my favorites.

proxy.php

That is a good looking Star!

Thanks for the insight. I'm going to have to seal all of the cracks somehow.

Yeesh. Looked at the handle this morning. The base is really thin, and the plastic has separated from the plaster of Paris. I could peel it all away from the plaster of Paris.

Yeesh. Looked at the handle this morning. The base is really thin, and the plastic has separated from the plaster of Paris. I could peel it all away from the plaster of Paris.

Yep, you're going to have to grind/scrape out some of that expanded plaster, seal up the cracks, and reglue the base plate. If moisture gets inside, that plaster will soak it up like a sponge and expand...probably opening up the cracks again or pushing off the baseplate.

Ooh. My 18mm finest arrived yesterday. This knot can be set way down in there. Might have to build it up a smidge. It has me motivated to get the handle watertight and get the knot set!

proxy.php

Got back to work tonight. I have a couple more handles on the way from the bay, though someone beat me on a McNess and a lot of three others including a blue marbeled Erskine. Hope to see those here!

I'm still not digging the cracks in this handle. I opened it up as much as I could and dribbled Devcon epoxy under the walls and baseplate of the handle. I also poured some epoxy up top for the plug to sit on. The loft of the knot is 48mm. Before measuring I thought it was sitting too high, but now I'm glad it isn't any lower. I'll post again after some sanding. You want to see the lettering, don't you?!

Last edited:
proxy.php

With its knot set:
proxy.php

A little overrun with the lettering, but it looks OK. I'll probably wet sand a touch more. Looks like I could have used a little more pressure when epoxying the base plate.
I think I'll try the Finest 2 band tomorrow! I'll post a post-bloom photo tomorrow.
As I look at the ER 100, I don't think it has ever been used. Glossy finish. No bloom. I washed it and put it on the counter. It'll get used as is unless it starts to shed. The Mohawk is next...

Last edited:
Sure!

The knot is perfect! Gave it a run with Tabac today. Firm little knot with friendly tips. I was worried that an 18mm knot would disappoint, but holds plenty of lather. Maybe a bigger knot is overkill?

Last edited:
Thanks! I like the look of it on the countertop. It's like no other in the growing collection.

The Mohawk won't be getting a knot just yet. It is soft, but it isn't shedding.
proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom