What's new

New brush #2

A week or so ago I posted about my first badger brush.

Well I did it again. I went a little nuts this month re: brushes. But other than blades and soaps I'm pretty much done with AD. Oh, I want another Slim, then I'm done.

I've been using an el cheapo VDH, and frankly I like the brush- nothing fancy, but it gits 'er done. It might be a bit of a soap hog, and I wind up wasting a lot of lather after each shave. I've been resisting dropping the hammer on brushes for awhile now, but decided it was time for something better. OK, so I went nuts.

I was PIFed a Shea Moisture Brush from a gent on B&B, and it was the pits for face lathering, and he told me it was. OK, so after spraying soap and lather everywhere in the bathroom (the brush was too floppy, too big, and too springy) I bowl lathered with it. The velvety lather I got convinced me to do "Brush Month". I hated bowl lathering BTW.

First I thought I dropped the hammer on a Simpson Special in Best, turns out I screwed up and bought a Pure. Decided, no, I really want a Best. Dropped the hammer again on a Best this time and on a Semogue 1438. So now I can compare similar Badger knots in different grades and a good boar against each other.

I was hand holding the camera so the writing may not be too clear. BTW, the bottoms of the brushes and the scale are on the same plane, it's camera angle that makes them appear as though they aren't. What I'm saying is the measurements at the tops are accurate.

The new brushes are tiny brushes as you can see. Just right for face lathering and not putting lather up the nose.

Left to right, VDH Boar, Semogue 1438 boar, Simpson Special Pure Badger, Simpson Special Best Badger.

I haven't used the Best yet (practice hand lather only to clean it), that'll be in the AM. The Pure is a fine brush and a keeper. It's a little scratchy, but I don't mind that at all, like it in fact. The 1438 is a fine boar, and I already know I like boar. In a month or two I think it'll be a less scratchy brush than the Pure, and it might already be there. I really like the 1438. Finally, I'm making the right amount of lather and wasting very little. I get plenty of lather from these little brushes for WTG, XTG, and ATG passes with plenty for touch ups. You might not think that from the size of the brush, and I didn't when I first saw the Pure when it came in.

Awesome stuff...I hope the 1438 treats you as well as my 620 is treating me.

Hopefully you'll show more pics sometime, especially of the Semogue when it breaks in. I want to see these bad boys in action!

I still can't believe how small they are and that they produce enough lather for as many passes as they do!

I'll keep you informed DEDude!

Top Bottom