What's new

Guess that mysterious item

$2359.jpg

Indeed. I've got one in the garage I've moved from house to house over the last ~35 years. Think it's time to let it go! Need one?!

It was invented by Carl Baunscheidt in 1848. In medicine prior to the Civil War, there were three common methods of treating illness: bleeding, blistering and purging. This device was used for blistering. The theory behind Baunscheidt’s device was that if you rubbed the skin with toxic oils, you used the lebenswecker to pierce the skin and cause a counter irritation that would divert the body’s attention away from the sickness or infection to fight this new affliction. Baunscheidt claimed this method could cure all types of illnesses — toothache, baldness, whooping cough and even mental disorders — by “creating additional pores” in the skin to allow toxic substances to be more rapidly exuded.

Other theories regarding the item was that it was possibly an early form of acupuncture, although this was denied by Baunscheidt. He also invented a device for smallpox vaccination.

Desi... you're up

I still have a scar from an inoculation on my shoulder back in 1969 from something like that.

I'm out of town this weekend and don't have access to my junk drawer. If anyone wants to past the next item, go for it.

Last edited:

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Correct.. This is a captured Tiger tank from World War Two.

You may add a mystery item, Bazwalk.

Top Bottom