What's new

Changing tastes.

I'm still very new to the fragrance world but already I've noticed some differences in my tastes. My very first AS and cologne was English Leather then came Old Spice and Brut the classic introduction scents found almost anywhere. As I try more scents and ones that are a bit more expensive I find that the English Leather really seems harsh to my nose now. I've always loved it as my grandfather wore it. I put some on yesterday and had to wash it off after an hour. I swear it was burning my nose.

I still have a great love for the Old Spice but the Brut is starting to lose appeal I still basically like it but long for something a bit more refined. I've had a few suggestions given to me in other threads but have yet to be able to try or purchase any. Unfortunately money is a big factor for me as I'm on a limited income.

I have found a few casual scents that I liked at the mall perfume shop.Tabac being the first I tried after all the talk here about it and it was inexpensive I love it. Tommy Bahama is a nice spicy but mild scent thats nice on me. The wife bought me Hugo XY which I think will be good over the summer it's very fresh with a hint of pear. I also picked up Burberry Brit it's got a real soothing appeal to me I think it's the Tonka bean it's sweet and smooth.

I'm thinking of doing a blind buy of Agua Brava they don't have a sampler at the store but I've read some things about it that lead me to think I'll like it. Anyone having any incite to it would be nice.

This is a bad hobby for me money wise but I'm enjoying it. I ware it strictly for myself I have PTSD and I find the scents calming as I do the whole wet shaving experience.

Last edited:
On a budget or not, your best bet is to order samples. A quick search should show you some good places to get samples. TPC, Lucky Scent, Mudassir, etc.

I assume you've already tried the T&H scents and the GFT scents that come with their sample sets. If not, that is another way to try various creams, balms and colognes along with the CF sample set from Colonial that has the whole CF line. Floris London will also send you samples of their full line for free if you email them.

After sampling several and finding what you like, order a larger decant, or a FB.

There are a lot of really great scents available that are considered inexpensive. Just because a person doesn't have the budget to buy every scent available doesn't mean there aren't great ones to enjoy. I may not be as budgetarily constrained as some, but there are still scents that I know I'll never justify spending the money for, and I'm okay with that. I enjoyed wearing the Kanon Norwegian Wood yesterday that I picked up for $7 at TJ Maxx.

I'm glad we can enjoy and discuss the inexpensive, as well as the super-expensive scents here, and everything in between. :thumbup1:

On a budget or not, your best bet is to order samples. A quick search should show you some good places to get samples. TPC, Lucky Scent, Mudassir, etc.

I assume you've already tried the T&H scents and the GFT scents that come with their sample sets. If not, that is another way to try various creams, balms and colognes along with the CF sample set from Colonial that has the whole CF line. Floris London will also send you samples of their full line for free if you email them.

After sampling several and finding what you like, order a larger decant, or a FB.
Ordering samples is an my to do list. As far as T&H GFT they are so out of my price range right now that I fear I'll really like some and drive myself batty. I need samples from less expensive brands for now. But then I suppose I could bide my time and save for something really nice.

There are a lot of really great scents available that are considered inexpensive. Just because a person doesn't have the budget to buy every scent available doesn't mean there aren't great ones to enjoy. I may not be as budgetarily constrained as some, but there are still scents that I know I'll never justify spending the money for, and I'm okay with that. I enjoyed wearing the Kanon Norwegian Wood yesterday that I picked up for $7 at TJ Maxx.

I'm glad we can enjoy and discuss the inexpensive, as well as the super-expensive scents here, and everything in between. :thumbup1:

It's all relative.
I tried Aramis yesterday at the mall it is at the far end of my being able to justify cash wise. As I liked it I think it may be a bit formal for me and if I were to get it I think I would wait until the fall for that one. I need something nice but casual for the summer. I think the Agua Brava might fit that bill but I don't know where to get a sample of it.

Last edited:
It's all relative.
I tried Aramis yesterday at the mall it is at the far end of my being able to justify cash wise. As I liked it I think it may be a bit formal for me and if I were to get it I think I would wait until the fall for that one. I need something nice but casual for the summer. I think the Agua Brava might fit that bill but I don't know where to get a sample of it.

Something super cheap like Agua Brava or other "drugstore" scents might be tough to find a sample of. I doubt even TPC has it and they have everything. I would guess that by the time you pay for a small atomizer and shipping including the sample, it would almost be the same price as a bottle, so the sample dealers aren't going to mess with it.

For stuff like that, you might try Colonial Drug. They carry a pretty large selection and will generally let you sample for free. Give them a call or shoot them an email.

That said, don't count out T&H or GFT scents because they might be too expensive. Think more along the lines of a 10ml decant from Mudassir instead of a full bottle. You can get 10ml decants from him for $11 (T&H) and 10ml will get you pretty far, especially if you have a few scents.

Last edited:
It's all relative.

I've never tried Agua Brava. The only place I recall seeing it in a store was in the perfume stores that you see in outlet malls, and I didn't ask for a sample, but I think they would have sprayed it for me if I'd asked.

The other scents that I have tried by Puig, the maker of Aqua Brava, Qourum and Vetiver de Puig, are both excellent, so I would expect Agua Brava to be a good quality scent, too. Doesn't mean you (or I) will like it, but it should be a decent quality, and I know others here like it.

I've never tried Agua Brava. The only place I recall seeing it in a store was in the perfume stores that you see in outlet malls, and I didn't ask for a sample, but I think they would have sprayed it for me if I'd asked.

The other scents that I have tried by Puig, the maker of Aqua Brava, Qourum and Vetiver de Puig, are both excellent, so I would expect Agua Brava to be a good quality scent, too. Doesn't mean you (or I) will like it, but it should be a decent quality, and I know others here like it.

Those are the best type of Perfume Store to visit; they'll gladly let you try a couple and some will even offer a discount when buying multiple items. I always visit the same store when in need of EDCs or After shaves and he's always letting me try two or three new scents. I do make sure I need/buy 4-5 bottles and will sometimes get 5-10% off, Mom & Pop's are the BEST.

Top Bottom