What's new

Proper color match for Red Tip SS?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm sure this has been discussed a bazillion times, but could someone steer me to a thread that identifies a proper maroon red paint to touch up an otherwise nice Red Tip Super Speed? I've seen too many mismatched colors on the 'bay and want to gussy-up mine properly.

This is probably what you are looking for, personally if you have an Auto Paint supply nearby they can match up the paint and even put it in an aerosol can for you for a very durable finish.

Maybe in your neck of the woods, Lowes & Depot over here only cover Latex & oil paints and definitely nothing pressurized.

IIRC, Krylon spray paint has a color called "International Harvester Red" that has been touted here as an exact match. I haven't seen or tried it, but there ya go...

+1 on Krylon.

Don't spray it though.

Use a small paper cup or something similar. Go outside, and spray about half an inch into an old pill bottle or something.

Then let it sit. Make sure all the bubbles are gone and let some of the thinner evaporate. It's very runny out of the can.

One good dunk, slowly pull out and shake off excess. It cures smooth and even pretty quick. If you do it right you won't get any into the handle on the screw or built up in the knurling. I did two coats on mine and rested the razor head down in an ashtray. In about an hour I stuck the tip into the gas flame on my stove for a second or two about 8 - 10 times.

I did this before Christmas and haven't any chips or wear yet.
I used nail polish on an old Slim Adjustable and it chips easily. ((the slim was brassy - and not worth re-plate))

What I want to know is what matches the BLUE ??

It definitely seems the simplest, but actually mixing your own paint & hardener then spraying in a booth is the best way - however not everyone has access to those tools & equip.

I've seen some repaints here and on ebay that I thought were brighter than the original color, so you might want to compare the two before you assume that you have the correct color.

The color that I'm thinking of as the culprit may be the International Harvester Red, but I haven't used it myself so that may not be correct.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Just by the name, that sounds a bit bright. I was by Auto Zone today and saw a touch up color for a Honda, I think, that by the color on the outside of the bottle looked about right.

Also have a Red Tip, 99% paint loss, so I removed what little was left. In future may repaint,,,, aside from razor surface being clean, and maybe wiped down with alcohol, any other prep recommended? How about primer?

Thanks!

Moe

Actually the kind I used is "Satin BURGUNDY" and is a bit more matte than the original.

I didn't go all the way up the tip, so I can see the difference. See pictures. I hope y'all like barcodes so you can find it easier.

Last edited:
International Harvester Red is a VERY standardized color . . . quite popular among the rural folk and well covered by most paint vendors.

Also, Guido said it is the right color.

That works for me!! :thumbup1:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Well I painted my red tips with Krylon Int. Harvester Red. Upon initial application, it appears to be close, but not a perfect match. Perhaps the color will darken upon final curing. I attempted the above mentioned dipping method, but initially the paint was too thin and left some shiny nickle edges. I let the paint set for awhile, but when I attempted to re-dip, it was too thick. I removed the paint with acetone and used a fine tip brush to apply it and it went on more smoothly. I will post pics when they are cured.

I custom mixed the paint for my red tip flare, I started with red enamel as kept mixing in black enamel until I got an exact match, I only had to touch up mine but it blends in perfectly.

Top Bottom