What's new

Semogue 1305 Shaving Brush

The 1305 breaks in very quickly. Just do the usual prep as cited elsewhere on the site and start using. Mine was great right from the start. You have to remind yourself that it is a boar brush.

Use it everyday for a couple of weeks. This 'teaches' it to retain water better and consistently, which makes it lather better and more consistently.

A good wash in detergent is usually needed to begin with, to get the excess dye from the banding out. But that is not breaking in, it's just cleaning.

I'll echo everything that was said above, with the caveat: just don't drop it. The paint is so beautiful when unchipped. And if you do drop it on a hard surface, you will be just....so...angry....with yourself....

Sigh.
Jeff

after 4 or 5 shaves mine was great-maybe a little to soft-but its still bleeding dye into my MWF Getting my 1305 was a real education on how luxurious boar brush can be

I've used my 1305 three times so far and it's been great each time. I haven't had any dye bleeding issues and if it's this good to start with, when it breaks in it will be fabulous!

I'll echo everything that was said above, with the caveat: just don't drop it. The paint is so beautiful when unchipped. And if you do drop it on a hard surface, you will be just....so...angry....with yourself....

Verrrry important. Also, DON'T SOAK THE HANDLE!!!

I am hoping to receive my Semogue brush any day now (it's been 3 weeks). A few questions:

How long do you soak the bristles before using the brush?

Does how long you soak the bristles affect how long they last? For example, if you don't soak long enough, are the bristles more brittle and prone to breakage?

Do the differences in bristle quality with the various Semogue models affect the time it takes to break them in, their performance once broken in, or both?

Dave

I soak the brush (NOT THE HANDLE) while I'm in the shower. DON'T SOAK THE WOOD! That goes for any wooden handle, painted or natural. They will last a very long time with proper care.

Soaking a boar has to do with water retention. Boar bristles retain water much more so than badger. A good half hour soak retains the water you need to make a wonderful lather. It takes a number of cycles that will vary from brush to brush to reach a point of good to great performance. This is part of the fun of boars. Working with a brush to 'break it in' is part of the life (and fun) of using a boar. They are great, enjoy!!

Last edited:
I really can't remember having to break my 1305 in. It has been a champ ever since the first use.:thumbup1:

I am considering a 1305 myself. I don't know if this has been brought up before or if there is a wiki on it, but what is the proper way to clean it before the first use? Or, can one just use it right away a la Gmarcheryguy & inspiringK?

Is this brush good for face lathering or is the loft too high?

For the first 10 shaves or so, I bowl lathered, but have used it to face lather often since. The stiffness of the bristles give it good backbone, and as the tips split, it is pretty soft. Others should chime in, but I like it as a face lathering brush.

I am considering a 1305 myself. I don't know if this has been brought up before or if there is a wiki on it, but what is the proper way to clean it before the first use? Or, can one just use it right away a la Gmarcheryguy & inspiringK?

Before the first use, just soak it, lather it in a little dish soap and do a test lather or two. There is no need to go through the cleaning steps that are in that wiki article.

Top Bottom