What's new

Epic music for "dangerous" shaves?

I imagine the first time I use a straight I'll listen to something like this:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0bcRCCg01I[/YOUTUBE]

The sound of the razor's usually music enough for me.

Anyway, here's another one: Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain.

[youtube]iCEDfZgDPS8[/youtube]

I like dirty, bluesy, 'old skool' stuff .... the classics like some good old John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson...that kind of stuff really gets me into the right frame of mind to pull out my old Gillettes and get busy.

Nothing like some good old Delta blues to shave by. :thumbup:

I shave evenly and with care, in silence, seriously.

I shave like Kinch, the loveliest mummer of them all!

What a great fun thread.
For me its hard to beat Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries.
Any clever chap able to put up the you tube thingy?

The previously suggested Orff's O Fortuna from Carmina Burana would go down well also. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxiv3CBMS4M[/YOUTUBE]

Now thats clever :thumbup:

Anyway, here's another one: Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain.

I just listened to it again and the whole Pictures at an Exhibition suite would work -

Promenade for making lather
Gnomus for lathering up
Promenade Interlude to let the lather do it's magic
Castllo for first pass
etc

Have a listen and see what I mean!

Maybe some Greig although In the Hall of the Mountain King might be a recipe for disaster.

Nothing like some good old Delta blues to shave by. :thumbup:

I gotta hand a mirror on the back porch and crank up John Lee Hooker. Boom, boom, boom, gonna shoot ya right down...

I imagine the first time I use a straight I'll listen to something like this:

Far too ominous. Try Jupiter or Saturn instead for your own safety :lol:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I just listened to it again and the whole Pictures at an Exhibition suite would work -

Promenade for making lather
Gnomus for lathering up
Promenade Interlude to let the lather do it's magic
Castllo for first pass
etc

Have a listen and see what I mean!

I tried that several times, but every time I would get to Catacombae: Sepulcrum Romanum; Cum mortuis in lingua mortua, my sink would rattle so much all of my gear would end up on the floor.

proxy.php

If anyone wants a copy of this notorious bass monster, let me know.

while not strictly 70's, I usually put on Men At Works "Business As Usual" for my shower/shave ritual. great album; Australian; and the album title works for me :wink2:

great choice! :thumbup:

those Norse warriors singing about ancient gods and primitive times... well its the antitheses of the whole plastic cartridge shaving that we despise.
I see a correlation anyway :lol:

("Yggdrassill", "Hordanes Land" & "Vikingligr Veldr" is some of the finest metal ever recorded :thumbup1: )

You forgot In Chains Until Ragnarok. Very good example of viking metal.

I also see the correlation between the more primitive sound and the less "advanced" shaving equipment. None of that lift, cut, lift some more, cut a little more, lift again, and a final cut that falls back in place just below the surface of the skin and gives razor burn. I'll have my live edge and good form any day.

Mötorhead this morning. Mean Machine with a Fatboy on 9 with a Feather. Now that is a dangerous shave.:001_cool:

I know Beirut, too--one of my friends asked me to play The Penalty on cello for his wedding. His friends played ukelele and drums with me.

Safet Isovic's Moj Dilbere is my all time old school favorite, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGC_8-YE5Tk

Mostar Sevdah Reunion's Cije je Ono Djevojce is a little more modern, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HygOE9vuvw

I like Edo Maajka too, he's a rapper who uses Balkan style beats. He snuck into the playlist with the other guys. :001_cool:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cHktBRUO9M
:lol:

Haha, you have got to be kidding me !..

Where are you from ?

I am originally from Bosnia and the songs you linked are some of my favorites!

I tried that several times, but every time I would get to Catacombae: Sepulcrum Romanum; Cum mortuis in lingua mortua, my sink would rattle so much all of my gear would end up on the floor.

proxy.php

If anyone wants a copy of this notorious bass monster, let me know.

So, you need to vibration isolate the sink. I suggest some rubber sheet or old bicycle inner tubes cut into strips and inserted between the sink and the wall. If that doesn't do it, mount the whole sink on springs.

Or, you could turn the volume down...

Haha, you have got to be kidding me !..

Where are you from ?

I am originally from Bosnia and the songs you linked are some of my favorites!

Awesome! I'm from Texas but my Croatian gf got me started on the music. I think I like it better than she does. She also got me my first DE (Merkur), and visiting Croatia gave me a great chance to try lots of cheap wetshaving gear!!! :w00t: I almost passed out in the store when I smelled Ralon aftershave, though. :lol: That is a hardcore, manly smell. It made my Aqua Velva smell like CK One.

Mötorhead this morning. Mean Machine with a Fatboy on 9 with a Feather. Now that is a dangerous shave.:001_cool:

Man, some of you guys listen to really hardcore stuff when you shave. This must be where the B&B bad boys hang out. :001_cool:

Last edited:
Awesome! I'm from Texas but my Croatian gf got me started on the music. I think I like it better than she does. She also got me my first DE (Merkur), and visiting Croatia gave me a great chance to try lots of cheap wetshaving gear!!! :w00t: I almost passed out in the store when I smelled Ralon aftershave, though. :lol: That is a hardcore, manly smell. It made my Aqua Velva feel like CK One.

Man, some of you guys listen to really hardcore stuff when you shave. This must be where the B&B bad boys hang out. :001_cool:

Haha, that explains it. But od that she is from Croatia but listens ( from what you posted ) only Bosnian music. She has good taste :thumbup:

Music can either set a mood or destroy it completely.
* If I want to get pumped/stoked I'll listen to some metal from my youthful days (Pantera, Megadeth, &c.)
* If I want to hit that zone in the back of my brain where life is strange and beautiful I'll listen to Tool.
* If I'm angry or want to get all riled up, I'll listen to Rage Against the Machine.
* If I want to hit that zone in the middle of my brain, far away up in the ether, I'll listen to Ambient Techno (Massive Attack, Orb, &c.)
* If I want to scramble the senses, up is down, left is right and focus on task becomes 100% I'll only put on one band. The Crystal Method (Vegas preferrably)

All of these (and many more) are on my iPod and I shave every morning with it cranked and in shuffle mode..!

Gotta ROCK to get started in the morning..!

Top Bottom