What's new

Shake Sharp razor

So my shake sharp razor had arrived. I examined it and it was well made, had a little weight to it and overall looked nice. This razor has the supposed distinction of being able to use any standard de blade and has a built in hone..when you flick the razor forward it causes the mechanism to slide the hone across the blade. Oddly though, these only hones one side of the razor blade. I also noticed a fair amount of wear to the hone itself, its either not very hard or this razor has seen plenty of use but was well cared for.

I just had to try it. I loaded a lord platinum blade into the head and investigated the blade gap....wow. The blade hangs out there a good way and there is a large gap between the comb and blade. To make matters worse, I've never shaved with a razor that has its head tilted like an injector, micromatic, or other razor that uses SE blades. I figured what the heck, just take my time and try to apply what I've seen in the tutorial videos of single edge razor shaving.

Well....with the large gap and blade hanging out a ways, you can tell when things are right on. This should be called a singing razor, like a full hollow straight edge but a different tone to it. Aggressive.....YES. But being careful and taking my time I ended up with a near BBS shave....missed a spot on the jawline. Not bad at all for the first time around.

proxy.php

Concatbob and I have been singing the praises of this razors for a while. Glad to see others are starting to catch on to it. These are great shavers.

The description for the razor says that the hone is a diamond dust hone. Also, these razors came either all metal (chrome plated, or gold plated) or with a gold plated head with a black plastic (or bakelite, not sure) handle.

I am glad I got mine before the B&B crowd gets wind of them. :lol::lol::lol:

its a 1945 shake-sharp razor from James C. Freil of Long Island NY., it has a built in stone that when you shake it , it hones and sharpens itself, i can take single or double edge razors. came in gold plated cap and guard or nickel plated. (similar to the DE Haven razor)

Address on the paper is Shavety First, Fifth Ave New York 16, New York. Seen a later one that was marked GE Jones with the same case razor instructions etc. I wasnt sure if it could take a single edge blade or not, the instruction sheet says any standard double edge blade. :confused1

Shake Sharp razors can only use double edge blades. One blade edge is exposed at a time. SE blades will not fit.

Shake Sharp razors can only use double edge blades. One blade edge is exposed at a time. SE blades will not fit.

I caught that part in Alex2363's comments. SE blades perhaps like an Autostrop blade may have fit?? Mind you, this razor is likely early 1950's so Valet's were pretty much dodo's by that time. Hmmm......

I caught that part in Alex2363's comments. SE blades perhaps like an Autostrop blade may have fit?? Mind you, this razor is likely early 1950's so Valet's were pretty much dodo's by that time. Hmmm......

Hey Rocketman, did you shave with your Shake Sharp yet? As for blades, the AutoStrop blades will not fit either. These razors were design for use with double edge blades. They even slightly curve the blades when inserted to help to keep them from flexing. Also, there are no cutouts to support the use of a GEM type blade or an AutoStrop blade.

Hey Rocketman, did you shave with your Shake Sharp yet? As for blades, the AutoStrop blades will not fit either. These razors were design for use with double edge blades. They even slightly curve the blades when inserted to help to keep them from flexing. Also, there are no cutouts to support the use of a GEM type blade or an AutoStrop blade.

I haven't used mine yet. It is in such nice shape I have been hesitant. Moreso, it looks like a bit of a bugger to clean once I get it all soapy and hairy!! Lazy shaver eh?? I am curious though after reading your comments about the aggressiveness.

I have certainly put a DE blade in and shook the sh*t out of it! :001_rolle

The hone/stone appears to be a piece of brass really (or similar). It looks like a plain metal and not impregnated with diamond dust. Not sure though. Also, it has a concave depression in the front edge very similar to yours - not sure if this then is wear, or if it is designed in that way??? I figured it was wear when I first saw mine, even though it is essentially unused looking. But, when I saw yours is very similar, I am now thinking it is a design into the hone.

When I get a chance I am going to try sticking in every SE blade configuration I can rustle up!! I love the intrigue!!!!

Just picked up one of these on the 'bay and hope to have it in the next week or two - I'll report back after taking it for a trial shave or two.

He's charging a pretty penny for them - like $66 bucks or so plus shipping

One with the case and in good condition just sold for about $40 plus shipping.

I picked up one without the case in what I consider to be user-grade condition for $20 plus shipping.

Just got mine today.

So without any further ado.
Up the stairs I just about flew.
Mixed some soap into a foamy goo.
Across my face the razor flew.
No weepers or nicks appeared or grew.
With my mug that's a good thing too.
Splashed on some Bay Rum brew.
Out the door to start the day anew.

Sorry, but yeah it was a good shave, didn't find it too aggressive or uncomfortable. Nice weight and finish

I believe I'll do it again

Top Bottom