What's new

What is vegetal

I've Googled it and found many definitions but not much that relates to aftershave. Does it mean derived from plants? If so, how does that relate to aftershave?

It is a substance produced from this guy...

proxy.php

I think its something used to pull the lilac down to earth. Put it on the "manly" side of things. Sort of a mixture of opposites. Since it's vegetal I guess that would mean it's based on some sort of vegetable matter? This is purely guesswork on my part.

When it comes to aftershaves, it means pretty much what the dictionary definition means. The scent is related to plants.

Note that cats or anything that they produce is not related to that definition.

The nickname "The Veg" refers to the vegetative state wearers frequently deteriorate into if it is worn more that 15" without washing off or 5" if worn on consecutive days. In the 1960's patchouli was the gateway scent that led into "Veg" use and was responsible for many of the mental and physical breakdowns attributed to LSD and peyote. Timothy Leary was a major advocate of "Vegging out".

From a glossary of wine terms:

"vegetal: An undesirable characteristic, wines that smell and taste vegetal are usually made from unripe grapes. In some wines, a subtle vegetable garden smell is pleasant and adds complexity, but if it is the predominant character, it is a major flaw."

On Basenotes several reviews mention "vegetal notes" and then go on to describe it as anything from a pleasant green scent to rotting vegetables.

There's a wine tasting vid on Youtube where a lady talks about the various vegetal notes that can be found in wines, ranging from cut grass, celery, bell peppers and more.

In short, it looks like it's an elastic term that can be used to describe a scent or flavor that is reminiscent of vegetation of all types, and it can be a desirable or undesirable thing.

I've Googled it and found many definitions but not much that relates to aftershave. Does it mean derived from plants? If so, how does that relate to aftershave?

I think you're probably right, but if you want to know what it smells like (at least the Pinaud Lilac vegetal) get a good strong whiff of a urinal cake, the pink ones. I'm serious.

To say it is an acquired scent is an understatement.

John P.

Lilac Vegetal is one scent that radically changes when it is exposed to air. A whiff from new bottle may not be appealing, but when applied it sweetens up. A bottle that had been opened will likewise sweeten up over time. To damm it out of hand because of the first whiff from a fresh bottle is to do it injustice.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Lilac Vegetal is one scent that radically changes when it is exposed to air. A whiff from new bottle may not be appealing, but when applied it sweetens up. A bottle that had been opened will likewise sweeten up over time. To damm it out of hand because of the first whiff from a fresh bottle is to do it injustice.

Amen brother.

i should be getting my first bottle (actually a sample from a very kind person here on B&B) today, i'm not going to use it, today, because i'm also getting Alt Innsbruck... but i'll definately take a good smell...
what people refer to as "vegital"or "the veg" is in reference to lilac vegital, made originaly (i believe) by pinaud and later by master. there is a large controversy over this perticular AS, as many believe it smells like cat urine, while others get a lilac-y green smell...

Us brits either have no luck, or plenty of luck, as its not something we can pick up easily over here:thumbdown

Top Bottom