What's new

Speakeasy Aquisitions - April 2011

Had to pick up a few single malts to restock. Picked up the following:

Douglas Benraich 18 y.o.
Aberlour d'Abundah batch 32
Highland Park 12
Springbank 10
Balvenie Sherry Cask 17 y.o.

How is that? I almost pulled the trigger on a bottle.

Oh it's very nice. It's also a piece of history. It's some of the last juice from the long gone Stitzel Weller distillery. The 18 Year old is the same as last year's 17 year old just later batches that were another year older when they finally emptied the barrel. If you had the 17 there's not much difference.

Oh it's very nice. It's also a piece of history. It's some of the last juice from the long gone Stitzel Weller distillery. The 18 Year old is the same as last year's 17 year old just later batches that were another year older when they finally emptied the barrel. If you had the 17 there's not much difference.

I never had either. I am a big Bourbon fan and looking to try some different kinds. I think I will treat myself to a bottle. I think I may also give the Bullet a try.
Another spirit that looks interesting is the Aberlour d'Abundah and Aberlour d'Abundah batch 32.

I just wish I could get my hands on some Pappy Vanwinkle. I have been looking for it for quite awhile after I landed a bottle of the Lot B about 2yrs ago. All the stores around here say that the state has been dry of it for about 1.5 yrs. I got a buddy who lives in Kentucky who is supposed to come up soon and I want him to snag me a couple bottles of PAPPy. He is just so unreliable.

I never had either. I am a big Bourbon fan and looking to try some different kinds. I think I will treat myself to a bottle. I think I may also give the Bullet a try.
Another spirit that looks interesting is the Aberlour d'Abundah and Aberlour d'Abundah batch 32.

I just wish I could get my hands on some Pappy Vanwinkle. I have been looking for it for quite awhile after I landed a bottle of the Lot B about 2yrs ago. All the stores around here say that the state has been dry of it for about 1.5 yrs. I got a buddy who lives in Kentucky who is supposed to come up soon and I want him to snag me a couple bottles of PAPPy. He is just so unreliable.

All the Van Winkle versions are on allocation across the country. I would recommend picking up a bottle whenever/wherever you come across it.

Added a bottle of Aberlour 12 to this month's lineup---I've had a LOT of Aberlour a'bunadh, but none of their other offerings, so I'm really looking forward to cracking this one open tonight. :001_cool:

NANP™

proxy.php

Trying it out tonight :tongue_sm

Edit: Time for a refill - this stuff's excellent! It seems I may have a new favorite bourbon!:thumbup1:

Last edited:
Added a bottle of Aberlour 12 to this month's lineup---I've had a LOT of Aberlour a'bunadh, but none of their other offerings, so I'm really looking forward to cracking this one open tonight. :001_cool:

NANP™

And the verdict?

It's . . . outstanding! :thumbup1:

This is a real "sherry monster" with much the same flavor profile as the a'bunadh. Obviously, it doesn't have the complexity or intensity of a cask strength expression, but it's very much a child of the same distillery.

At the price point (I believe I paid $37) it's got a place on my bar shelf from now on. Unbelievably good Scotch for Speyside lovers.

NANP™

Getting back in shape has me limited to one proper drink a week. Tonight I went through a bottle of Brother Thelonious abbey style ale. Excellent, tasty, almost nutty yet crisp Belgian style ale.

Looking forward to next week now :laugh:

LivingSocial had a deal - two Glencairn whisky glasses for $12 from a local distillery.

I'm sipping Aberlour 12 from one tonight :thumbup1:

Getting back in shape has me limited to one proper drink a week. Tonight I went through a bottle of Brother Thelonious abbey style ale. Excellent, tasty, almost nutty yet crisp Belgian style ale.

Looking forward to next week now :laugh:

I've had it before and it is tasty. Good stuff.

Top Bottom