What's new

10 experiences with THE shave (maybe good for newbs?)

1. Creams are good for beginners but good to keep in the rotation too!

2. Soaps take a bit of getting used to but once you nail it--wowzers (I have the Ralph Lauren Soap and AoS...don't care for the Col. Conk--looking for more and taking suggestions :biggrin1:)!

3. Start out following the "rules" of the wet shave and as you progress you will figure out what "shortcuts" you can take.

4. First week - six months couldn't believe how awesome the shave was and didn't realize how much better it gets...still inconsistent.
*Even after 6 months it wasn't perfect but much better​
*Finally after a year I have become very consistent​

5. Started out with Omega stripey brush and thought, "come on, $100 for a brush is absurd...what's the point". I splurged on the Eagle group buy and since have purchased a Simpson 2XL...yeah, it's worth it!

6. Alum block was a great addition to my shave. First month of use was blah...dried the face and stung a bit. However, since then my face has adapted and I believe it has "toughened" my skin and ever since it's use I have had way more consistent shaves (this did effect #4 I believe).

7. Love to face lather with soap and bowl lather with cream.

8. Went from taking :20-:30 minutes every shave (first year-ish) and now down to :10-:15 minutes, not including shower.

9. I can't stop running my hand over my face

10. I love it when my 5 year old son asks to smell my face after I am done shaving

Great post. I wish I had read something like this when I started DE shaving a few years ago.

5. Started out with Omega stripey brush and thought, "come on, $100 for a brush is absurd...what's the point". I splurged on the Eagle group buy and since have purchased a Simpson 2XL...yeah, it's worth it!

10. I love it when my 5 year old son asks to smell my face after I am done shaving

The Omega Stripey is my only brush - -been using it for 2.5 years. What's the difference you noticed between the Stripey and a pricey brush? I need a good reason to "suggest" getting a nicer brush for Father's Day.

I sometimes let my 5 year old son pick my aftershave. I let him smell a few bottles and ask him which one I should use. He consistently chooses one of my Ogallala Bay Rum aftershave splashes.

Great post. I wish I had read something like this when I started DE shaving a few years ago.

The Omega Stripey is my only brush - -been using it for 2.5 years. What's the difference you noticed between the Stripey and a pricey brush? I need a good reason to "suggest" getting a nicer brush for Father's Day.

I sometimes let my 5 year old son pick my aftershave. I let him smell a few bottles and ask him which one I should use. He consistently chooses one of my Ogallala Bay Rum aftershave splashes.

Difference between Stripey and the two I own: Omega is floppy and way less dense. The other two are also much softer to the face and hold and create the lather so much better, particularly when face lathering

I do the same with my son sometimes. His go to is the Proraso.

2. Soaps take a bit of getting used to but once you nail it--wowzers (I have the Ralph Lauren Soap and AoS...don't care for the Col. Conk--looking for more and taking suggestions :biggrin1:)!

3. Start out following the "rules" of the wet shave and as you progress you will figure out what "shortcuts" you can take.

4. First week - six months couldn't believe how awesome the shave was and didn't realize how much better it gets...still inconsistent.

6. Alum block was a great addition to my shave. First month of use was blah...dried the face and stung a bit. However, since then my face has adapted and I believe it has "toughened" my skin and ever since it's use I have had way more consistent shaves (this did effect #4 I believe).

8. Went from taking :20-:30 minutes every shave (first year-ish) and now down to :10-:15 minutes, not including shower.

Agree with all of them. Especially #9.

I even love that my wife gives me the check now too. Never cared before and now every once in a while she checks the shave :)

As someone who remembers their childhood times very fondly, the bolded part above is one of the things that your son will remember for the rest of his life, and he will remember it even when he has kids of his own.

Top Bottom