What's new

Relative values of nicer TTO's

I know there are many variables, but all things being considered, is there any kind of value "hierarchy" for the nicer Gillette TTO's? E.g., British Rocket, Aristocrat, Executive, President, Diplomat, Others??

Since I was "Born in the U.S.A., I'm a long gone daddy in the U.S.A."

Value as to my quality of shave and not monetary,to be sure.
President, Diplomat, Aristocrat...I'll let the rest harp on the Brits.
I have a preference for the ones from the 1950's and made in USA ( not unlike myself - or is that CSA, hehe).
The President is my choice with its golden twin Diplomat just as nice.
I have a lot of Aristocrats, too. I even have the first production year model which are very nice,as well, but not TTO.
At the very top of my rotation is a 1953 President with a feather blade in it more often than not. A Pomco slant takes second spot in my rotation ( arguably a TTO ) but for a different kind of shave. To me, The President has a very elegant quasi classical column handle look and gives me a very soothing fine shave and would be like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLaY2VcIEqo and the Pomco would be more like , well, this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pe7ioFYAOE&feature=related

Last edited:
I would say that the silver ones with the swirly handles, American or England, are at the top, followed by the President/Diplomat, then the rest. That is just my uninformed opinion, though.

Interesting question.

Relative values encompasses both the quality of shave and desirability and the rarity value. So my guess would be:

Rarer pieces
  1. 'Prototype' Toggle
  2. Bottom Dial 195 Adjustable ( I think this comes in 1-5 and 1-9 variants with the former rarer)
  3. Prototype SuperSpeed (which may or may not exist according to discussion here)
  4. Anglo-American Aristocrat
  5. Regent Tech
  6. Chrome Toggle
  7. Gold Toggle (D series)
  8. Rhodium Executive
  9. Gold Toggle (F series)
  10. Red Dot Fatboy

More commonly available
  1. British Aristocrats (rhodium, gold and silver plated)
  2. President
  3. Diplomat
  4. 1934 Aristocrat (US)
  5. British 'Popular' models
  6. Gold 'Fatboy' Executive
  7. Lady Gillette - pink
  8. Aristocrat Junior
  9. British Rockets (rarer variants such as the gold plated ones and the numbered sets, #58 and #59)
  10. 'Fatboy' Adjustables
  11. Senator and Sheraton
  12. Ranger Tech
  13. Lady Gillette - champagne
  14. 1940s Aristocrats
  15. British Rockets (more common variants)
  16. 1960s Aristocrats (gold 'slim' adjustables)
  17. Super Adjustables
  18. Milord and Milady
  19. Slim Adjustables
  20. Lady Gillette - blue
  21. SuperSpeeds

Now I KNOW that somebody will object to this ordering and I'm aware that the British categories are rather broad but I don't think I've missed anything obvious have I?

Edit: List updated but I've still failed to include the Tan Tipped Super Speed - would that be at the very top :lol:

Last edited:
I would say that the silver ones with the swirly handles, American or England, are at the top, followed by the President/Diplomat, then the rest. That is just my uninformed opinion, though.

I love the "swirly" handles. I've seen them on Aristocrats and Executives. What other models were made with this pattern?

Interesting question.

Relative values encompasses both the quality of shave and desirability and the rarity value. So my guess would be:

Rarer pieces
  1. 'Prototype' Toggle
  2. Bottom Dial 195 Adjustable ( I think this comes in 1-5 and 1-9 variants with the former rarer)
  3. Prototype SuperSpeed (which may or may not exist according to discussion here)
  4. Anglo-American Aristocrat
  5. Regent Tech
  6. Chrome Toggle
  7. Gold Toggle (D series)
  8. Gold Toggle (F series)
  9. Red Dot Fatboy

More commonly available
  2. Rhodium Executive
  3. President
  4. Diplomat
  5. 1934 Aristocrat (US)
  6. British 'Popular' models
  7. Gold 'Fatboy' Executive
  8. Aristocrat Junior
  9. British Rockets
  10. Senator and Sheraton
  11. Ranger Tech
  12. Aristocrats
  13. 'Fatboy' Adjustables
  14. Milord and Milady
  15. Slim Adjustables
  16. SuperSpeeds

Now I KNOW that somebody will object to this ordering and I'm aware that the British categories are rather broad but I don't think I've missed anythign obvious have I?

I'm not sure I disagree with your list based upon my own perception of value, but based upon recent selling prices, the Fatboy should be above the Rockets.

I generally agree with Mark's Rating. I would rate the rhodium executive in the rarer category and definitely above the british aristocrats. It was only made for 1 year, and you see FAR fewer of them than British Aristocrats. Also, it was $10 in 1952, making it more expensive than even the $10 Serial Numbered Toggle than came out in 1957. I would go so far as to rate it above the F4 toggle and the Red Dot. I would rate it below the D1 toggle

EDIT: Other than this one discrepancy, I'd say his ranking is pretty much right on the money

Last edited:

The swirly handles are generally referred to as 'barber-pole' knurling I think and they are most commonly rhodium plated but some do some in silver plating I believe - Archim or others might correct this though.

I'm not sure I disagree with your list based upon my own perception of value, but based upon recent selling prices, the Fatboy should be above the Rockets.

I got lazy and included the Rockets (and British Aristocrats) as a broad category but I think you are right about recent selling patterns and have 'clarified' the original post.

I generally agree with Mark's Rating. I would rate the rhodium executive in the rarer category and definitely above the british aristocrats. It was only made for 1 year, and you see FAR fewer of them than British Aristocrats. Also, it was $10 in 1952, making it more expensive than even the $10 Serial Numbered Toggle than came out in 1957. I would go so far as to rate it above the F4 toggle and the Red Dot. I would rate it below the D1 toggle

EDIT: Other than this one discrepancy, I'd say his ranking is pretty much right on the money

Well your comment is high praise and on reflection I think you are correct. I've only seen one or maybe two of the rhodium Execs for sale since I've been collecting and the one I have picked up is missing end caps so I am still looking!

Based on this feedback I've made some changes to the earlier post - I'd love the comments and feedback of others.To the OP - is this helpful?

The swirly handles are generally referred to as 'barber-pole' knurling I think and they are most commonly rhodium plated but some do some in silver plating I believe - Archim or others might correct this though.

the old bulldog was plated in silver and gold (not tto though) and the #70 in nickel.

Last edited:
I like the one that scrapes my beard off while leaving skin.

Highly technical matter.

An axe and a chainsaw can both take a tree down. A bulldozer would work too.

At the end of the day you just have to go with what you like and live it.

For the money is no option collector crowd I suspect double ring, Darwin, eclipse, and British barberpoles are where it's at.

A NOS toggle is a no brainer.

A new COONCAT BOB is outstanding and hard to compare to old production models.

I do love a nice injector shave my President is amazing with a med personna.
My RAD killer will be a slant hoffritz with travel case.

Last edited:
Interesting question.

More commonly available
  2. President
  3. Diplomat
  4. 1934 Aristocrat (US)
  5. British 'Popular' models
  6. Gold 'Fatboy' Executive
  7. Lady Gillette - pink
  8. Aristocrat Junior
  9. British Rockets (rarer variants such as the gold plated ones and the numbered sets, #58 and #59)
  10. 'Fatboy' Adjustables
  11. Senator and Sheraton
  12. Ranger Tech
  13. Lady Gillette - champagne
  14. 1940s Aristocrats
  15. British Rockets (more common variants)
  16. 1960s Aristocrats (gold 'slim' adjustables)
  17. Super Adjustables
  18. Milord and Milady
  19. Slim Adjustables
  20. Lady Gillette - blue
  21. SuperSpeeds
QUOTE]

my quibble would be with the position of the british popular models- they seem harder to find than the president, diplomat, and british aristocrats and command prices in line with the british aristocrats, esp with matching cases.

my quibble would be with the position of the british popular models- they seem harder to find than the president, diplomat, and british aristocrats and command prices in line with the british aristocrats, esp with matching cases.

They are harder to find, but I don't think they are more expensive than the razors mentioned. Rarity doesn't always coincide with value. The president and diplomat shave the same as a 40's aristocrat, which, in my personal opinion, is quite possibly the worst razor gillette ever made.

Top Bottom