What's new

Recommend a good to great alcohol free after shave?

Howdy guys,

I haven't been on this forum in a while, but I'm back with a lot of straight shaving gear and im finally experimenting!

Now I have very dry skin on my face, this morning I woke up and its very chappy. I have started using a clubman bay rum after shave. I think its best suited for rum and cokes :lol:

I've noticed my skin being a heck of a lot dryer than normal, I was curious --- I see people say use an ALCOHOL FREE aftershave. I take it alcohol after shaves is not good for your skin, amirite?

What great alcohol free aftershave are available out there? I order most of my stuff online so. Looking for something that has a nice smell, but overall my main point would be having a good aftershave thats hydrating and good for the skin.

Thank you!

Cheers,

Paul

I have used these and like them.

Proraso Liquid Cream Aftershave
Alcohol Free Thayers (comes in several scents, no longevity to speak of)
DR Harris Arlington Milk Aftershave

If you want to spend more, Truefitt & Hill balms work great.

Thayers WH non alcohol Lavender isnt bad. Trying it right now..The lavender is a fresh smell. Goes away though which is sort of good thing IMO

It's not the alcohol that's drying you out, you're just using a splash that doesn't work for you.

I hear a lot of people saying " dont use alcoholic after shave"

is this true, and if so why are they not good for the skin?

I guess I'd need an aftershave that's good for senstive/dry skin from what I understand?

The main objection I have to alcohol-based splashes is the burn ... some shavers enjoy it, but I don't. I still use them, but always make sure to apply it with wet hands to a wet face. This helps to dilute the solution and greatly mitigates the burning sensation.

If you're looking for alcohol-free, try Thayers Witch Hazel.

After being here a year I have quite a combination of aftershave products in my bathroom now. Mostly alcohol based. However, as far as non-alcohol I have truly enjoyed the "earthscience Aloe/Herbal". I got mine at an independent health food store but I think I read on here one time that Whole Foods carries it (I don't know that for a fact). It has a nice clean smell, and it's very soothing to the skin.

There are two reviews on it here and one of them's mine. It's a little confusing because the distibutor is Earth Essentials but the name on the front is "earthscience".

Also, it's worth remembering that just a plain old alum block and nothing else makes a great after shave treatment. Of course you don't get any scent but sometimes that's good.

EDIT: I see you order most of your stuff online. Here is their website: http://www.earthessentials.com

Last edited:
thanks a whole lot for your input guys. I thought alcohol based was just horrid for the skin. I got some proraso liquid cream already in the mail, and I'm looking at ordering a few other styles and brands.

thanks a whole lot for your input guys. I thought alcohol based was just horrid for the skin. I got some proraso liquid cream already in the mail, and I'm looking at ordering a few other styles and brands.

If you were just splashing straight alcohol onto your skin, then, yah, it would be bad. Most splashes have a whole menu of ingredients added to moisturize and tend to the skin.

If you're looking for alcohol-free, try Thayers Witch Hazel.

+1 Thayers does the trick for me. I still use Pinaud Clubman from time to time though. I've also replaced my alcohol based astringent toner with Thayers. The Witch Hazel does wonders for my problematic skin.

Top Bottom